6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

ULSD Cetane Rating in your neighborhood

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 04:56 PM
milsuper
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ULSD Cetane Rating in your neighborhood

I was exploring some of stations near my neighborhood today and I found these ULSD Mininum Cetane Ratings.

Sheetz (truck stop): 45 and 42 Cetane
Hess (truck stop): 45 Cetane
Shell (local gas station): 42 Cetane
BP, Exxon, Sunoco, Liberty, Love's (local gas stations): 40 Cetane
Many other stations did not post their Min Cetane Rating on the pump

What do you guys see in your neighborhood? What do you guys think of the quality of ULSD from Sheetz or Hess? I'm thinking of lining up with the big trucks and get my F350 6.7L PSD filled at either Sheetz or Hess. Is this a mistake? Also, should I still add additive with 45 Cetane? Please advise me, and thank you.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:08 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I knew I was buying 45 cetane minimum I would not use a additive, but since most don't advertise their cetane # I use it. Don't need anything for lubricity because I get the best lubricity fuel every time I fill up in Pa. This state mandates 2% bio.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:57 PM
DSLPWRD
Posting Guru
Everything in my area is minimum 40. There was one BP station that had minimum 47 stickers up until last week. I didn't mind going a little out of the way and paying an extra 10 cents a gallon compared to the other stations in my area. For some reason, they just changed their stickers to minimum 40. However, of course the price did not change. Still averages 10-15 cents a gallon more than most stations. No, I'm not continuing to buy my diesel there. I've been using additive regardless of posted cetane rating.

EDIT: I think fuel from truck stops should be safe. No worries about old fuel, since they should run through it pretty fast.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:48 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ljutic ss
If I knew I was buying 45 cetane minimum I would not use a additive, but since most don't advertise their cetane # I use it. Don't need anything for lubricity because I get the best lubricity fuel every time I fill up in Pa. This state mandates 2% bio.
Sincere question...how would one know that the lubricity of any 2% biodiesel exceeds the US mandate of 520 scar? The fuel blenders would not be required to provide data to support an increase in lubricity. The oil industry sucks every available penny out of their products. It makes me wonder if they would leave something out of the mix to save that penny. I know the Spicer report showed the biodiesel numbers to be much better but has there been any tests done on biodisel that show there result was not an anomaly? If 2% biodiesel is the lubricity solution,I would be using it religiously. There is a problem finding biodiesel in Michigan...my area has no sellers.

Regards

Old 02-19-2012, 07:54 AM
milsuper
Junior User
Guys, what is the proper amount of Motorcraft PM 22A that I should add to each fill up on 2012 PSD 6.7L F350?

Old 02-19-2012, 08:56 AM
jack_pine
Elder User

Originally Posted by milsuper
Guys, what is the proper amount of Motorcraft PM 22A that I should add to each fill up on 2012 PSD 6.7L F350?
4 ounces per 25 gallons. I put in 4 when it is a little below 1/2 which is a little over kill.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:45 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru

A 1 gallon can of PM22 treats 1,000 gallons of diesel. It comes to .128 oz. per gal. or 3 oz. of PM22 per 25 gal. of diesel.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:51 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rickatic
Sincere question...how would one know that the lubricity of any 2% biodiesel exceeds the US mandate of 520 scar? The fuel blenders would not be required to provide data to support an increase in lubricity. The oil industry sucks every available penny out of their products. It makes me wonder if they would leave something out of the mix to save that penny. I know the Spicer report showed the biodiesel numbers to be much better but has there been any tests done on biodisel that show there result was not an anomaly? If 2% biodiesel is the lubricity solution,I would be using it religiously. There is a problem finding biodiesel in Michigan...my area has no sellers.

Regards
I base the amount of lubricity of 2% bio on the results of the Spicer report.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:04 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rickatic

Regards

If you do a search under biodiesel retailers you will find a map showing 20 retailers selling it in Mi. If you buy 1 gallon of 100% bio that should treat 50 gal. of fuel.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:20 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Hypothetical situation:

You fill up your truck with 25 gallons of fuel, you add 3 oz. of PM 22A, or your favorite additive. Your next fuel up requires 12.5 gallons of fuel. Do you add 3 oz. of additive again, or prorate the amount of additive to the amount of fuel you just added, since the fuel already in the tank prior to your fueling already has additive in it? Or do you pyramid the additive? Can you get too much additive? How do you figure your additive amount?

I don't mean to ask more questions to answer your question. I'm just trying to understand what others are doing. I personally try to round off closely to the amount of fuel I added and add the proper amount of additive based on how much fuel I just added.

Wow, there's a lot of a's and d's in this post. I guess my wife is probably right, I probably do have A.D.D.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:04 PM
DSLPWRD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by marchare011
Hypothetical situation:

You fill up your truck with 25 gallons of fuel, you add 3 oz. of PM 22A, or your favorite additive. Your next fuel up requires 12.5 gallons of fuel. Do you add 3 oz. of additive again, or prorate the amount of additive to the amount of fuel you just added, since the fuel already in the tank prior to your fueling already has additive in it? Or do you pyramid the additive? Can you get too much additive? How do you figure your additive amount?

I don't mean to ask more questions to answer your question. I'm just trying to understand what others are doing. I personally try to round off closely to the amount of fuel I added and add the proper amount of additive based on how much fuel I just added.

Wow, there's a lot of a's and d's in this post. I guess my wife is probably right, I probably do have A.D.D.
It is a good question. I add the additive based on the amount of fuel I am adding, since as you said, the other fuel in the tank is already treated. From what I have read, adding more than the required amount of additive doesn't hurt or help. I'm sure if you added a whole bottle the situation would be different. I'm using Power Service and it calls for 1 oz to 3 gallons of fuel. I usually end up adding 20-21 gallons of fuel so I use about 8 ozs of additive.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:08 PM
FONRDAY
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Ford will add 6oz in your tank

Ford will add a 6oz of cetane peformace booster to your tank with your oil change what does that tell u

Old 02-19-2012, 07:07 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I always put 8 oz of power service in when I fill up. I don't really care if I add 18 or 24 gallons to the tank.

Good question though, I have had the same thoughts. I generally don't stop for fuel unless it is 50 miles to empty or less so I am almost always within 20-24 gallons of fuel. It's pretty consistent. I do add a tank of un treated fuel every now and then just for kicks.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:12 PM
cford716
Elder User
I have a bottle pre-measured for half tank and one for a full tank. Usually I fill up around half tank so I will put in that bottle and if it ends up being more fuel when I get home just add the difference.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:52 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by FONRDAY
Ford will add a 6oz of cetane peformace booster to your tank with your oil change what does that tell u
that they want to sell you their product and hope you'll buy it after using some.

Quick Reply: ULSD Cetane Rating in your neighborhood