1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

The Adventure Begins: My '81 F100 Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 11:49 PM
nikmish
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Great info! I'm planning to do the same on mine.
Thank you!

Old 05-17-2012, 06:10 AM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Well done, Willey! So, how much difference there is in the sound? I ask because Rusty doesn't have the window run at all and I'm curious what difference it would make.

And, a suggested change: There are supposed to be 8 of the retainers. I've yet to find a truck with all of them on.

Guaranteed to reduce wind whistle and glass rattle. It's also pleasant to have a nice, smooth action while cranking the window up and down.

Also worth noting - keep your eyes peeled at the junkyard. My last JY run I got at least a dozen of them without even trying - guys pull door panels to get to the glass and doors, and I found several panels laying inside cabs with the retainers still intact.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:14 AM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by nikmish
Great info! I'm planning to do the same on mine.
Thank you!

My pleasure. With this particular replacement, it's not difficult. Just make sure you get that one squarish corner just right, then the rest of it follows fairly easily.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:59 PM
mybrownie
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great post...I have made this a favorite. I enjoyed following your steps to date. Hope to see more.

I got on FTE to read about my brakes and started to read your post and couldn't stop until your last entry.

Keep up the good work and banter...like to hear what is going on in your mind

Old 05-18-2012, 08:29 AM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Thank you, brother, I appreciate that, and thanks for the reps, too. My efforts to date have certainly been made easier by FTE.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:37 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by WilleyJoe.62
My efforts to date have certainly been made easier by FTE.
I would have to totally agree with that statement. This is an awesome forum.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:39 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Grubbworm
I would have to totally agree with that statement. This is an awesome forum.
Made so by the likes of you folks!

Old 05-18-2012, 08:40 AM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Amen. I haven't posted a single question that hasn't been answered. It restores one's faith in humanity to know that there are men (including you, Grubbworm and Gary) who will happily take an hour of their life to hunt down an answer for you!

And I've lost track of the number of times I've been reading someone else's thread, and thought to myself, "Dang! I better go check that!"

Old 05-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Amen. I haven't posted a single question that hasn't been answered. It restores one's faith in humanity to know that there are men (including you, Grubbworm and Gary) who will happily take an hour of their life to hunt down an answer for you!

And I've lost track of the number of times I've been reading someone else's thread, and thought to myself, "Dang! I better go check that!"

I also have another excellent paint forum that is very much like this one, full of knowledgeable people willing to help you out, and not a bunch of a**holes like some other sites that I won't mention. Here's a link; SPI User Forums

Old 05-23-2012, 05:30 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Lariat 85's revived thread on batteries got me to thinking - I should have posted this sooner.

Last October I took Festus out on his first 'round-town trip, three days after he arrived home. This was the day I went to O'Reilly Auto Parts and the frankencarb disintegrated in the parking lot. They sold me one of those micro-batteries, that looked like it fit on a motorcycle, because "that's what the computer said". If I wasn't fretting over that manual choke and the prospect of getting Festus back home, I probably would have given it more thought. A few days later I was working on the cab walls and floor and left the door open for most of two days, and the dome light ran the battery down.

Disgusted, and now knowing that battery couldn't be right, I took it back to O'Reilly, and fortunately found a man working there whose knowledge went beyond "what the computer said".

This is the battery I got - "Super Start" number 24R72. The only problem was, the battery hold-down is about 1/16" too narrow, owing to those ribs on the battery's upper edges. So I got an expanding generic hold-down at NAPA, along with new bolts, and it's been cranking perfectly for the last 7 months. I set the original holder in there for the photo.

Attached Images   
Old 06-12-2012, 03:07 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
After three graduations and three road trips, I'm finally getting back to what's important.

Just received my seat fabric from SMS. The upholstery guy is on vacation until Monday, so I'll take Festus over next week and get a price on the labor.

If you're looking for this particular fabric, SMS calls it Vinyl - Misc. - L-5589 Red Domingo 3. They send enough so the fabric can be properly trimmed, and for a bench seat it's .67 yards. $66 all in, including shipping.

Attached Images  
Old 06-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Pse keep us posted, as Dad's 81 has that seat and it needs redone.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:32 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Pse keep us posted, as Dad's 81 has that seat and it needs redone.
Will do. I'll pull the seat over the weekend and take it in.

And I'm hoping it will eliminate the last remnants of the farm funk that still oozes out on warmer days.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:13 PM
1983F1503004x4
Posting Guru
Will do. I'll pull the seat over the weekend and take it in.

And I'm hoping it will eliminate the last remnants of the farm funk that still oozes out on warmer days.
LOL. It might actually somewhat eliminate it... either that or provide a fresh baking tin like a baked potato for it. The undersides are ventilated too, and will let the farm funk free.

I ripped all of the vinyl that was on my seat off and replaced it with a bench seat cover from Advance. I put it on directly over the foam. Granted, the spring support underneath the drivers side is messed up, and I got it halfway holding with sheetmetal and pop-rivets (the PO had shoved a 2x4 up under there) and the metal bracing along the back was busted loose on the drivers side (also fixed with sheet metal and pop rivets... as the PO had a sheet of 3/4'' plywood behind that).

The seat cover is holding up well. I have, however, thought about either seats from a Bronco or taking the track off and mounting Mustang seats onto the original track.

My truck really needs a whole new seat. The passenger side is great, however, and is really comfy. Still not as plush as a 73-79 seat though.

I wish they sold the entire replacement seats rather than just re-upholstery and foam.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Sorry, wrong thread.

Last edited by Gary Lewis; 06-12-2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Wrong thread

Quick Reply: The Adventure Begins: My '81 F100 Project