1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 02:27 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Well how'd it go?

Old 09-20-2014, 02:42 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
I just walked into the door. I have seen my 15 year old son since 10:30 this morning. I'm uploading pictures to my pc as we speak.
I got everyone to where they needed to be. The truck did fairly well. The only problem is that it kept dying on me. Last week it would idle nonstop. Today, it didn't want to idle. I need to figure that out.

Also, I was at the inlaws before 7:00 and the truck wouldn't start. My nephew had to move the truck a few feet and he turned the key back too far and left the coil on. Well I stole the battery from my father in laws truck and used that today while my battery charged.

Dang, I'm tired at the moment. I'm going to rest a bit then post some pictures of the day.

Oh, I will start a new thread, but I spoke with a guy looking to sell his 1966 Ford F750 with dual axles and 12 gears. Went out and took some pictures of that for you guys.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:53 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrier
I just walked into the door. I have seen my 15 year old son since 10:30 this morning. I'm uploading pictures to my pc as we speak.
I got everyone to where they needed to be. The truck did fairly well. The only problem is that it kept dying on me. Last week it would idle nonstop. Today, it didn't want to idle. I need to figure that out.

Also, I was at the inlaws before 7:00 and the truck wouldn't start. My nephew had to move the truck a few feet and he turned the key back too far and left the coil on. Well I stole the battery from my father in laws truck and used that today while my battery charged.

Dang, I'm tired at the moment. I'm going to rest a bit then post some pictures of the day.

Oh, I will start a new thread, but I spoke with a guy looking to sell his 1966 Ford F750 with dual axles and 12 gears. Went out and took some pictures of that for you guys.
Yer a good man, Joe. Looking out for the troops. And of course you know we like those pictures. Glad all went reasonably well.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:36 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Ok time to show some pictures. Not a lot of great ones. The whole family was on the float, so we didn't have someone to do pictures and video. My one video is probably too bad to show. I haven't watched it yet.

Getting ready to go. In the picture my BIL, my daughter behind the wheel and my great niece and great nephew.

Our float was "Turkey Dynasty" and Mardi Gras combined.

Here are a couple of me read to go.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:43 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Here is a through the windshield picture.

Here is me and my brother in law passing out toys and cruising.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:49 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
We were toward the beginning of the parade so I didn't see what all was behind us.
Here were a couple of beauties in front of us.

I had a nice conversation with the gals in the 1946 Lincoln. It's all original and is an automatic. They were a neat couple of gals. The gal in white got on a rant about people using fiberglass building their cars. She said with so much new stuff on the cars they shouldn't be able to put them in a classic car show. Talk about purist. Love it!

Old 09-20-2014, 06:56 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Then it was off to the festival and the singing of the national anthem. The boy scouts raised the flag. We all said the pledge. (That was awesome by the way, hundreds of voices on the courthouse steps saying the pledge.)
Then the national anthem.
Here is the group with the mayor introducing the festival. He also owns the liquor store in town. Mine is front row center leaning forward a little. It is a group of 4th and 5th graders.

Then you have the worlds longest sub sandwich.

Here is a sight at the festival. I'm not fond of that many people all together, but it works for a little while.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:59 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Oh, the family of 4 approaching is my kin.

Then later I went to O'Reilly and got a $1.50 valve stem core removal tool. That sure made it easier to get the air out of the tires. It still took me ages to get the air back in. It won't be coming out of the garage for a while now....It's too much of a pain and I need doors, hood, wiring, and glass.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:09 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Excellent pics! I'm really happy all the things lined up time wise.

Is your BIL named Si by any chance?

Old 09-21-2014, 01:38 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Bravo Joe! Glad everything went as well as it did for you.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:49 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What?? Your Mayor wears Pink. Does he drive a pink T Bird like Ross?
Strange folks you are. But hey I have learned to deal with it. Kinda.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:08 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Yeah, our Mayor is something else. I don't think anyone else wants the job.

Speaking of cars. The majority of vehicles in town are trucks. And not those city trucks that never see a load. But our Ford dealer does have two special F150's. One is a yellow Tonka edition for $72,000 and the other is a black one for $74,000. Yeah, those won't sell in our town. Our rich folk in town don't flash their money that much.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:40 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Well, it's been a while since I have done anything to my truck. Well relatively speaking. This week is the first week I don't have tons of stuff going on. I went out and decided to look at putting the doors on. Well I moved the drivers side door over and started looking at how to lift it up and slide the hinges in.....Well there went getting that done tonight.

I decided it would be easier to attach the hinges to the truck then attach the door to that. So hinge removal and inspection. They look good but I have to clean them up a bit...

I learned a lesson on using the right tool. I removed the top hinge with my 3/8" socket with plenty of effort. The bottom hinge wouldn't budge. Well I went over and got my 1/2" set and that extra 6 inches or so made a huge difference. The bottom hinge came off easy.
Here is my top hinge. The bottom looks about the same.

Here is the inspection cover removed:

I'm not sure how much I will do on the internals. I probably should remove it all while I'm here and clean it up....we will see. I will focus on the hinges first.

Here is a neat item. The last maintenance sticker. It looks like the oil was changed on 3/11/1972:

Maybe I will skip work on Friday....

Old 10-22-2014, 10:34 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Just my 2 cents but I'd put the hinge on the door and then puck the door up and put the hinge in the cab pillar. Because you have had the hinges completely removed it will be harder to get fit but just snug everything and then loosen and move a little at a time. It will be easier if you don't have the door latch in so you can line up the door without the latch complicating things.
Good Luck and keep us posted

Old 10-24-2014, 06:13 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
I was awoken by a text last night and before I went back to sleep it hit me why I should have the hinges on the door first. Those 3 bolts will be hard to get in with the door hanging. I had a devil of a time getting the doors out you have to get it just right to get the hinges out of the cab pillar. But I can see how that would be easier. I will have to practice with the hinges off to find the best position.

I hadn't thought about aligning the door back again. I just thought, dirty hinges I need to clean those....How much I cuss putting this door back on will determine what I do with the other door.

Quick Reply: 55 239 Y-Block Restoration Thread