1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Brake pads on an E-350 van?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:08 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't know what your time is worth...but mine is worth alot....just the time it takes to jack up the truck and remove the wheels is reason alone to do it ALL.... parts for the good quality rotors/pads should be around 200 per wheel ...seals are like 20 bucks ....tube of grease 5 ....so lets say 500 total...why play games.... you will never have to touch your brakes again for at least a couple of years....to me its a no-brainer

Old 02-07-2012, 02:16 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anybody qualified to look up the wear limit and use a micrometer or caliper can tell you if yours are within spec or not. as a mobile auto repair service, i NEVER have rotors turned, as the time for me to drive to a parts store and wait for them to turn them always costs more than new ones, plus the great majority of rotors i see are either hopeless or still look/measure like new, so i either use them as is or buy new ones. measure yours if you want, if you still have some tolerance from the bottom of the grooves to the wear limit, having them turned is reasonable. 2000 bucks for a brake job isn't reasonable by any means.
if the rotors are still thick enough to get by for awhile, you could just install new pads and leave the rotors alone. braking may be a little weak until the pads have time to wear to match the rotors, but then will work fine for quite awhile. its not ideal, but it works

Old 02-07-2012, 08:51 AM
scooterspal
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I appreciate all the replies. This helps me tons.

I stopped by Goodyear this morning to pay them for the work they did on the brakes lines. The service rep had me drive the van around the lot so I could see for myself how the brakes were less than ideal. There was sort of a judder when you applied them.

Said I would have to think about spending the 2k they wanted to fix them all.

I will go back after dinner tonight and bring it home.

I asked him about the quality of the brake parts they used... whether they were off-shore or US made. He said he did not know but said they get all their parts from Carquest, the auto parts chain.

On their web site they seem to have their own brand of parts and claim they are OE quality and meet SAE standards.

Anyone have any comments on this company either way?

Old 02-08-2012, 04:54 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Scooter are you able to do this work yourself or know a trusted mechanic? I'm fortunate to work with highly skilled mechanics almost daily and many of them are willing to do side work for cash, I supply my own parts. The biggest advantage is they will do the best job without concern for cost--after all its not their money! Because they're not confined to a quick and easy job they'll and pay such close attention to details maybe overlooked or bypassed by a budget-type job.

My opinion about any chain-type auto/truck repair outfit is they're more concerned about making money than really supplying the customer with good or better quality repairs. The parts they use would come from CarQuest, NAPA, Advanced Auto etc etc but what quality level or country of origin they represent is anybody's guess----I'd think they'd tend to be the lower imported brands across the board.

$2K for a complete brake job is expensive but what exactly is included in that price and what's the guarantee they offer? If they're pricing out rotors, calipers, shoes, drums, RW cylinders and all hardware with labor that's about right for a retail shop. Have they yet given you a written estimate? How long will you keep this van or how often will it be driven?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:16 AM
scooterspal
Tuned
Originally Posted by JWA
Scooter are you able to do this work yourself or know a trusted mechanic?
My mechanical experience is from the last 4 years or so of working on and rebuilding Honda motorcycles, dirt bikes and maxi scooters. I have six at last count. Sort of a passion of mine. Keeps me sane. Done complete tranny/rear end overhauls, motor rebuilds, wheels, tires, electrical. Have a shop in my garage. Air compressor and most of the common air and hand tools. Bench grinder, very nice buffer. I'm not a pro but I can hold my own. I learn fast and I'm not afraid to ask for advice. I have a couple of friends who are not pro's either but have done brake jobs before. One buys, sells and restores 1970 Dodge Darts. He knows his stuff.

I look at it this way... It's my butt up there at the wheel and I'm going to make sure if I do the job it will be done right. It may take me half a day to do one wheel but in the end it will be correct.

Originally Posted by JWA
$2K for a complete brake job is... about right for a retail shop. Have they yet given you a written estimate? How long will you keep this van or how often will it be driven?
Actually, the van is for taking my dirt bikes to the one legal riding area we have here in Connecticut. My VW van is too small. It will also get used occasionally for carrying equipment and people for my video work.

Figure about 2000 miles a year at most. Probably much less. As to how long I'll keep it? Well, my VW Vanagon was purchased new in 1990. My Toyota "daily driver" is a 1996, bought new. I'll keep it as long as I can drive, I quess.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:17 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Scooter you're on the right path as far as I'm concerned----asking questions is always an asset. Between you and your friends a complete brake job should be within your capabilities so I say go for it.

DIY keeps the budget in control which means you can buy premium parts----never a bad idea IMHO. Between yourself and friends even a complete brake job will be easy enough and obviously be a lot less than the $2K from Goodyear.

Anyway I hope your questions have been answered----we look forward to your final report on the results.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:12 AM
scooterspal
Tuned
Originally Posted by JWA
Scooter you're on the right path as far as I'm concerned...Anyway I hope your questions have been answered----we look forward to your final report on the results.
As soon as I can pop off one or two wheels to see what's what I will be back with more questions.

But, just looking up pricing at RockAuto it would seem the parts for all four wheels... rotors (Raybestos) and loaded calipers will run me around $500. Not a bad savings.

Thanks!

Old 02-10-2012, 04:46 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Scooter those aren't bad prices at all! Have you checked with a local Advanced Auto Parts? I've found they offer some USA made brake parts and are very competitive price-wise with others. The best thing is core charges---much easier to return locally!

Check the caliper warranty and definitely keep your receipts!

Old 02-10-2012, 08:25 AM
scooterspal
Tuned
Originally Posted by JWA
Have you checked with a local Advanced Auto Parts? I've found they offer some USA made brake parts and are very competitive price-wise with others.
How do you know. So many of these chain places offer their own store brand and they don't even know where they come from.

As best as I can tell, Rockbestos is made in the USA. I assume Motorcraft (Ford) are, as well. If you know of others, please let me know their names.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:15 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Scooter just ask the counter help----they'll usually know. Some of the Motorcraft parts are made in Canada which is still better than Chinese. I tend to shop NAPA or Advanced Auto for my local needs and they're more than happy to provide American made parts upon request.

Occasionally you'll get a counter guy/gal who'll try selling you on the wonderful guarantee accompanying their private or store brands but most USA made stuff carry comparable warranties too. I buy American because they tend to be better quality parts and I'd like to keep our jobs here, not continuing to export them as we've been doing for a while now.

Just ask your parts guy---if they balk at fulfilling your needs shop elsewhere, assuming you have a choice.

HTH