Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Chinese F-150 anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:28 AM
wicat3
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks as if the JAC company just takes parts to make vehicales according to the article. It seems a bit riduclous but at the same time we dont sell over there so let them do what they want and exile them

Old 02-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Bryanox
Freshman User
2.8 liter four-cylinder diesel engine that poops out 108hp and 240nm
I like this sentence.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:16 PM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
those aren't exactly the same as our stock tailights. As with the black headlights on that truck too, it's probably the same cheap chinese-made aftermarket parts you can buy on ebay.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:53 PM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It looks like they bought parts from a few different trim F150's on Ebay, patched them together on one body and said "here's our brand new pickup for sale!"

Old 02-01-2012, 09:18 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
One scary thing about China is that if the US and other advanced countries provide them with the technology and tooling, they can get up to speed pretty quickly. The Koreans, which used to make vehicles that were a joke, are fully in the game already. Think about how well the Chinese are doing with stuff like computers (I am typing this on a Chinese laptop right now). I'm a guitarist, and remember when Japan, Korea, and China (in that order) made garbage guitars. At this point, they ALL produce good instruments but I still play American. Fender and Gibson, the foremost American guitar companies, still make guitars here, but they also BOTH sell Chinese instruments too. Makes me angry.

It is scary to think that the Chinese now own Volvo, so they have access to some good technology, including some developed by Ford, which previously owned Volvo...

I think we simply need to support the American car companies as much as we possibly can buy buying vehicles with the highest possible American content percentage. I don't think either political party is going to change our relationship with China very much; both parties are owned by American business, and if American business can make money by selling Chinese products, they will be sold here.

Sad but true. I do everything I can to avoid buying Chinese products, but it sure is hard these days... Sorry for getting political or nationalistic here; please delete this post if deemed inappropriate. But I am a lifelong Detroiter and have seen the auto market move away from the US bigtime.

George

Old 02-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
More chinese copies?...........much like they have been building inferior knock-off MiG and Sukhoi fighter jets they copied from the Russians for years.

A whole whopping 108hp?..........My Ranger put out more than that, stock in 1984.

Ford should go after the ChiComms like they have been going after "intellectual property" on internet sites.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:55 PM
keyul
Postmaster
Looks like an F150 mounted a subaru baja, and a nissan smacked em both on the ***!

Old 02-02-2012, 07:22 AM
justiz00
Senior User
So with their technology and "man" power, the movie "Red Dawn" could really happen?

Old 02-02-2012, 07:47 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,233 Likes on 809 Posts
Look at it like this: If you wanted to build a truck that you would hopefully sell in high volume, would copy the best selling truck or the Nissan Titan?

Unfortunately for these jack wagons, they did both.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:01 AM
BrockwayMT
Senior User
Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD
Yeah...Its pretty underpowered...In all fairness most trucks sold in North America are overpowered compared to trucks sold in Europe and other countries.

But even 240nm of torque only amounts to about 175 ft/lbs which is low...Compact trucks have made more torque than that here in North American for the past 15 years now.
This is true. Compared to globar vehicles American cars are way overpowered. Usually global cars only offer the highest power for the US market.

My Mazda3 has a 2.0 144hp which is base here. In the rest of the world its the second largest engine with the base offering being 1.4 and 80ish hp. It's about practicality since those parts of the world aren't into 'performance' as we are. I'm sure some of the trucks the Chinese are driving now have 60ish hp so 108 is probably great in their mind.

I consider the infringement to be Ford (and the rest of the auto industry's) own fault. They give the prints to these people when they hire them to make low cost parts. The Chinese of course sign confidentiality agreements but any contract in China isn't worth the paper.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:25 AM
EdCaffreyMS
Senior User
While it's appalling, it's not surprising. In my profession as a custom Knifemaker, we've seen the "copy" issue with China for the past decade. Even the commercial knife companies in the U.S. have problems with China "stealing" designs, then try to flood the market with products of inferior workmanship and materials.

China is at the place where Japan was in the mid-late 60s.....dumping overwhelming amounts of inferior products on the market....let's just hope they don't follow the same path as Japan, and actually make it to the point of producing "quality" products.....otherwise, the U.S. will be in a hurt locker with the way we've dwindled our industrial power.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:34 AM
deck60
Senior User
well your are comparing gas to diesel if you remember back a few years ago 150-180 hp was good enough for a 250 series truck with a diesel

I had a 82 datsun diesel that truck had only 48 hp and was natural aspirated

I think we should all be appalled by this but the us companies don't care who they are buying parts and building plants in china so they are as much to blame as the consumer

I do try to buy american but I think if it is sold in the usa it needs to have a country of origin and I mean if it has 1% non usa parts then need to be listed as so

I know several companies that put made in usa and really they are just packaged for sale here

Old 02-02-2012, 10:02 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS
While it's appalling, it's not surprising. In my profession as a custom Knifemaker, we've seen the "copy" issue with China for the past decade. Even the commercial knife companies in the U.S. have problems with China "stealing" designs, then try to flood the market with products of inferior workmanship and materials.

China is at the place where Japan was in the mid-late 60s.....dumping overwhelming amounts of inferior products on the market....let's just hope they don't follow the same path as Japan, and actually make it to the point of producing "quality" products.....otherwise, the U.S. will be in a hurt locker with the way we've dwindled our industrial power.
With technology being provided from the outside, China can move REALLY quickly in some fields. Like I said, my laptop computer (and probably everyone else's) was made there and works fine, and within the last 5 years, Chinese guitars have gone from junky to world class (not all are world class, but with the right backing from US or Japanese companies, some are). Scary, and as a Detroiter, this bothers the heck out of me. Japanese guitars were junk in the 60's, and it took until the late 70's for them to go world class. Japan took over the camera market from the Germans completely in the past as well. China is moving much more quickly...there are NO laptop computers made in the US, Japan has given up, Korea and Taiwan make a few, but China is the major power already.

Hopefully, cars and trucks are complex enough that it will take China a LONG while to get them right. But if they ever do, it's gonna be really hard for the rest of the world to compete with, say, a $15k F150 Lariat made in China.

George

Old 02-02-2012, 10:15 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,233 Likes on 809 Posts
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
With technology being provided from the outside, China can move REALLY quickly in some fields. Like I said, my laptop computer (and probably everyone else's) was made there and works fine, and within the last 5 years, Chinese guitars have gone from junky to world class (not all are world class, but with the right backing from US or Japanese companies, some are). Scary, and as a Detroiter, this bothers the heck out of me. Japanese guitars were junk in the 60's, and it took until the late 70's for them to go world class. Japan took over the camera market from the Germans completely in the past as well. China is moving much more quickly...there are NO laptop computers made in the US, Japan has given up, Korea and Taiwan make a few, but China is the major power already.

Hopefully, cars and trucks are complex enough that it will take China a LONG while to get them right. But if they ever do, it's gonna be really hard for the rest of the world to compete with, say, a $15k F150 Lariat made in China.

George
I'd wager that the safety equipment and EPA mandated goodies alone on these trucks increases the consumer price by $10-$15K.

The auto industry is one area that China will not succeed in US market very easily unless an entire company is sold to them such as Volvo.

There was a time I would have considered a Volvo, now you couldn't sell me one at half price.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:05 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That thing is fugly...just for the record.

Quick Reply: Chinese F-150 anyone?