Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modified B Rear Springs OR Roadmaster Active Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:51 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Well put Robert. Good posts in a very informative thread!

Old 01-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Hunter,DDS
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed thanks to all for a very informative post. Iguess I will go with the modded b springs and add in the RAS as necessary. I'm just wondering how they ride while unloaded?

Old 01-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
You go with modded B's and RAS and your back end is gonna sit really high.

Stewart

Old 01-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Really?

Hmmm, I Hunter may wanna ignore my above post then.

Forest, did you use new V codes?

Stewart
Yes new V and B code springs. I retained 2" blocks on rear axle.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:07 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
You go with modded B's and RAS and your back end is gonna sit really high.

Stewart
Agreed...if you don't run with a "day-to-day" heavy load like I do, using both will sit high.

The only way I'd go with both is if you are in my boat or if you KNOW you will be towing heavy and don't want to go with a WD hitch.

I'm almost wondering instead of RAS for my own rig, using an air bag system...that way I can run the air bags almost empty for daily driving, then use them to add lift to the Modded B's as needed and be able to dial it in level.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:17 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Hunter,DDS
Indeed thanks to all for a very informative post. Iguess I will go with the modded b springs and add in the RAS as necessary. I'm just wondering how they ride while unloaded?
Modded B's or Modded B's with RAS?

I think without my load the rear would ride stiff, but still not as stiff as a stock 250. I don't know this for sure, but my gut tells me the two added leaves to the B's are not taking the full weight difference of the rear body of the Excursion as compared to a bed of a F250.

I think the B's themselves take most of that weight and the lower leaves aren't really lifting too much until my tools and/or the tongue weight are factored in.

IF that's true (and I have no idea how I could prove it), then I think it would ride stiffer than a stock Excursion, but softer than a F250/350 without any special heavy-duty suspension.

I think if you ran Modded B's AND RAS, it would feel as stiff as a F250.

Stewart...WhiteBuffalo...etc...what do you guys think?

Old 01-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Ju got me, mang.

Stewart

Old 01-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Forest
Yes new V and B code springs. I retained 2" blocks on rear axle.
Forest, would you mind posting pictures of your rig, so we can see the stance?

Stewart

Old 01-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Red Ex
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ride with V code and Mod B's is very good. I am also running a 4.5" ICON spring hanger in front with a 6" block in rear. The shocks will change how the ride feels. The V code in front is stiffer than stock but still very comfortable. Well worth the handling advantages. The modified B code in the rear feels just as soft as the factory springs did with my Bilstien shocks from Caryt. I had some minor axle wrap when towing a 10500lbs trailer - partially due to the 80hp SCT towing tune and 4:30 gears - lots of torque on take-off. This was solved with OUO traction bars. Extremely stable set-up. The ride quality is extremely good both unloaded and loaded to the max. Even in highway expansion joints it just glides along. I have found no need for RAS with the WD hitch. If towing heavy without WD that is another ball game and the hitch is only rated for 500lbs of tongue without WD. My trailer has a tongue weight between 1100-1300lbs depending upon how it is loaded (measured at both the truck scales and with a sherline scale). With the mod B springs and my WD hitch I have between 1.25"-1.5" of sag in the rear. The front goes up around .25". Here are pics of the stance unloaded and loaded for comparison. Slight rake front to back unloaded.

Sits almost perfectly level with the trailer - about a 1/2" down in the back.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Forest, would you mind posting pictures of your rig, so we can see the stance?

Stewart
Sorry, I was not on my computer since Saturday. I took some pictures of "Midas" this evening as the sun was setting. The truck is totally unloaded--no 3rd seat, no cargo, and only about 3/8 tank of diesel.

Again, about 25000 miles ago (November 2010), I installed new "V" code springs on front, new "B" codes on the rear with stock 2" block on rear, and then I added RAS to the "B" code springs on rear.

I measured the arch heights when I got it back to the garage--39" to bottom of arch on front, 41" to bottom of arch on rear. A 2" rake when unloaded.

Attached Images     
Old 02-05-2012, 03:53 PM
shadows4
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Forest did you tow with just the B codes? Wondering how it towed with just the B codes. I have the stock springs with the RAS in rear and V codes upfront and I am pretty happy with the ride. I need to get some pics but some times it appears to squat a bit and other times appears level. I would like just a bit more rise in the rear. Thanks, John

Old 02-05-2012, 04:13 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by shadows4
Forest did you tow with just the B codes? Wondering how it towed with just the B codes. I have the stock springs with the RAS in rear and V codes upfront and I am pretty happy with the ride. I need to get some pics but some times it appears to squat a bit and other times appears level. I would like just a bit more rise in the rear. Thanks, John
If you do the modded B you can probably remove the RAS and have a slight rake when unloaded and a slight sag when towing with 700 or more on the ball.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by shadows4
I DID tow with B only. It towed fine. For me, the RAS were most useful to reduce 'wander'. RAS also reduced sag when towing.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:59 PM
nzirbel
More Turbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I see a lot of threads about RAS, B codes and modified B's but have only seen a few with the Procomp rear springs with no blocks. Any reason for this? Is a modified B better?

Old 02-05-2012, 09:39 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by nzirbel
I see a lot of threads about RAS, B codes and modified B's but have only seen a few with the Procomp rear springs with no blocks. Any reason for this? Is a modified B better?
I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing Bs/Modified Bs are cheaper?

Quick Reply: Modified B Rear Springs OR Roadmaster Active Suspension