Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Excursion suspension upgrades with help from CT Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 04:12 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After driving it this way for the last 8 or 9 months I still believe I wouldn't change anything. I like it and it woks for me.

It really drives and handles as Cary and others said it would. It's lifted but it still fits in the garage which has 7' doors. I don't envision it happening but if I do add a large/heavy bumper with a winch or a snowplow in the future I would switch to the X code springs. Other than that - it's time for more power when I save up enough $.

edit: I might change my mind when Cary gets done with his 2008+ axle and coil spring upgrade for the Excursions...... But that's a completely different ball game.....

Old 02-28-2012, 04:32 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
one additional point,

Cary probably metioned it - Do some backwards planning. The lift height you choose is dependant on the tire size you are planning on. I went with 33" tires so this was the reason I went with the 2" hanger kit. IIRC you need the 3" hanger kit if you want to run 35" tires.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:38 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Here is a pic of one of Cary's Excursions he sent me when I was researching the suspension mods. IIRC this has the 3" hanger kit with 35" tires.

Name:  nerfbarsonCarysExcursion.jpg
Views: 10656
Size:  48.3 KB

Old 04-18-2012, 08:09 AM
Big Timber
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigdaddybus
White Buffalo,

If you were to do this all over would you do it the same or eliminate the
- 4" rear blocks
- track bar (only needed if front hangers are used)
- 2" front hanger kit

This is where I am kind of stuck now, I'm not sure the extra height is worth an extra $500 to me....well other than liking the look

Bigdaddybus,

I like the look of your suspension. What did you end up using?
Did you use the 2" hanger? 4" rear blocks? track bar?

Thanks

Old 05-06-2012, 10:39 AM
jdhart73
Senior User
Great thread White Buffalo, I am doing the exact same thing to mine this Saturday! Prior to putting blocks on it looks like you had a little sag in the rear, I thought with the 2" hanger set up you would be level...why the sag?

Old 05-07-2012, 10:45 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jdhart73
Great thread White Buffalo, I am doing the exact same thing to mine this Saturday! Prior to putting blocks on it looks like you had a little sag in the rear, I thought with the 2" hanger set up you would be level...why the sag?

Good catch, let me try and explain and please let me know if you don't understand.

When I talked to Cary about this after the install he made me aware of two things:

1. Give the new front springs some time to settle/break in. They will settle a bit over time. Which they have some.

2. The way the Excursion roof naturaly tapers it can be deceiving and make it look like the front end is higher than the rear. So I stuck a level in the cab and along the running boards. it was close to level, maybe just a tad higher up front - but it should settle a bit over time.

So I added the bigger F-350 blocks on just to get the look the eway I wanted it. I still have a set of the stock blocks so if I need to swap them out later I can.

This might not happen in your situation at all, just wait and see how it turns out before looking for some F-350 blocks. Either way your gonna love the setup- I really love the way she drives and handles. We've run her 60 mph++ through the corn & bean fields out at the hunting lodge chasing deer and trespassers and she drives and handles just like she does on the highway......

Old 05-07-2012, 11:34 PM
jdhart73
Senior User
Man thats awesome! I guess I will wait and see how it sits when I finish up this weekend. I am like you in that I cannot stand to look at something dipping in the rear at all!

Thats for the info, much appreciated.

Jake

Old 05-08-2012, 06:44 AM
C50bart
Senior User
Man thats awesome! I guess I will wait and see how it sits when I finish up this weekend. I am like you in that I cannot stand to look at something dipping in the rear at all!

Thats for the info, much appreciated.

Jake

Jake, good luck! Buy 2 cans of PB and run with it.

I just completed the swap about a month ago. I would have never expected the drastic change from this big beast.... I'm still working on my sloppy steering though. I think the RedHead Box will cure that but the wife said it's her turn to spend money. Lol

With the 3" Icon hanger/shackle in the front, 4" topgun block in the rear and the extra leafs from the original pack, my X is close to level as well. My front hasn't settled yet but I'm hoping after my Vaca from NY to Florida it'll soften a bit. I can definitely tell it can handle turning a lot better. A lot less leaning.

http://photobucket.com/c50bart
Slide show of the work and before/after.

1 small note Jake.
The Exhaust Y wouldn't come off so easy so I had to cut the section where the top Shackle Bolt goes through the Chassis. I highly recommend the Y-Pipe Mod. Look at my pics to see the cut and mod. Ebay sells a DIY Y if you have a Mig welder or you can have a muffler shop weld one up. I bought the DIY and paid them to weld in. It helps the v10 breath. If you're running with a 10 that is. I noticed an additional MPG from the mod and with a Flowmaster 70 Big Block muff you get a nice hum....

Again, goodluck!
Chris

Old 05-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Atc210
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No one mentioned a total cost of this set-up? Anyone have a round about number on the cost?

Old 05-08-2012, 06:03 PM
lovestrucks
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Good catch, let me try and explain and please let me know if you don't understand.

When I talked to Cary about this after the install he made me aware of two things:

1. Give the new front springs some time to settle/break in. They will settle a bit over time. Which they have some.
Could you approximate how much it's settled? I know for a X V10 front V's give about 1.5" lift but where do you think you have settled at with the PSD?

Also were the shocks from Cary as well? Or did you order those separately and might have a part #. I know some people were using the yellow HD truck shocks but on a black X I personally like the look of the silver/black shocks

Originally Posted by C50bart

With the 3" Icon hanger/shackle in the front, 4" topgun block in the rear and the extra leafs from the original pack, my X is close to level as well. My front hasn't settled yet but I'm hoping after my Vaca from NY to Florida it'll soften a bit. I can definitely tell it can handle turning a lot better. A lot less leaning.

Pictures by c50bart - Photobucket
Slide show of the work and before/after.
Great pics, I'm considering doing the V/ mod B's with the Icon 3" hanger kit.

I see you said you are close to level, but are you a tad nose high or low? I personally don't mind a little nose high, but could not live with rear high at all.

Originally Posted by Atc210
No one mentioned a total cost of this set-up? Anyone have a round about number on the cost?
Ya same here, I've got the prices for springs, but might look further into the 2" hangers, and shocks from Cary.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:03 PM
C50bart
Senior User
Originally Posted by Atc210
I spent about 3000.00.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:15 PM
C50bart
Senior User
Originally Posted by lovestrucks
Could you approximate how much it's settled? I know for a X V10 front V's give about 1.5" lift but where do you think you have settled at with the PSD?

Also were the shocks from Cary as well? Or did you order those separately and might have a part #. I know some people were using the yellow HD truck shocks but on a black X I personally like the look of the silver/black shocks

Great pics, I'm considering doing the V/ mod B's with the Icon 3" hanger kit.

I see you said you are close to level, but are you a tad nose high or low? I personally don't mind a little nose high, but could not live with rear high at all.

Ya same here, I've got the prices for springs, but might look further into the 2" hangers, and shocks from Cary.
Thank you.

I'm a tad nose up and the total price with all the bells & whistles is $3408.28 give or take PB and beers.

Good Luck and it's well worth it. I lifted the 3"/4" and the truck looks mean. I just need tires & rims. I've decided on Rockstars 20" with Nitto or Toyo 35"...

Old 05-08-2012, 11:24 PM
jdhart73
Senior User
I can't stand nose high! Doing the swap this weekend with 2" hangers and V up front with B mod in rear...I hope I am not nose high!!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:27 AM
C50bart
Senior User
I can't stand nose high! Doing the swap this weekend with 2" hangers and V up front with B mod in rear...I hope I am not nose high!!
It should settle over time. Don't sweat it. I noticed the front getting softer from turning hard on purpose. Look at my pics in photobucket link above. I have pics of rear complete and a hard rake down.

The rear was easy to complete. Half day if you plan it right. The front was a tough job with no compressor & air tools. 8 hour day and 12 pack to get me through it. Busted a few knuckles up too.. That could have been the Buds tho...

Have a few buddy's hang out to hand tools while you're on ya back.
Also, three jacks & 4 jack stands will make it a smooth swap. Let the jacks do all the lifting & positioning.

Good Luck and take lots of pics. Post them up through Photobucket.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:30 AM
jdhart73
Senior User
We have power tools and 4 of us, hoping to knock it out in 6 hours or so.

Thanks for all the info! Will definitely do measurements and photos.

Jake

Quick Reply: My Excursion suspension upgrades with help from CT Performance