1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you pay for a manual transmission?
Heck no, it was always cheaper and it should be if they bring it back
43.88%
Heck yes! I'd pay anything to get it back!
22.78%
Maybe to an extent, $500-1500, but let's not get crazy here
28.69%
Why doesn't an aftermarket company fill the gap Ford created
4.64%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Manual Transmissions in 2014+

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:04 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
You must not have seen a 2011+ 6 speed then !

it's not a paddle shifter (which is too many working parts IMHO) but it is a + and - on the shift lever that allows selection and control of the 6 speed however you want (within reason )

2011 Ford F250 Super Duty Power Stroke 6.7 Manual Mode. - YouTube

I was not aware of that feature in the new Super Duties... Awesome!

Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008fordguy
this thread reminds me of the arguments of the early 90's when motorcycles were just getting fuel injection. most wanted the new technology for performance gains and fuel economy gains, but there were folks like you "old guys" that just couldnt believe they were doing away with carbs.

get over it! if you want a manual trans, buy a corvette you grey haired, slow poke, grumpy *******s!
LOL, that's funny, because I thought it was the younger crowd that wanted the manual the most. The guys who can't afford new trucks. Us grey haired, slow poke, grumpy bas<!>tards, appreciate a little luxury, and our knees may not be compatible with that SD clutch any more.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008fordguy
this thread reminds me of the arguments of the early 90's when motorcycles were just getting fuel injection. most wanted the new technology for performance gains and fuel economy gains, but there were folks like you "old guys" that just couldnt believe they were doing away with carbs.

get over it! if you want a manual trans, buy a corvette you grey haired, slow poke, grumpy *******s!
Haha you mean a Boss 302 which are ONLY sold with a manual!

I guess I buck the trend. Bought my manual truck new and converted the Falcon from a C4 to a Toploader...

Old 05-31-2012, 08:39 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
LOL, that's funny, because I thought it was the younger crowd that wanted the manual the most. The guys who can't afford new trucks. Us grey haired, slow poke, grumpy bas<!>tards, appreciate a little luxury, and our knees may not be compatible with that SD clutch any more.
I like manuals because that's all iv ever owned in a truck. Just seems right. My Wifes crossover is an automatic. That's what she wants. I gues the SD clutch is too tuff for her I dono. I personally like Working the clutch in my Ford and my decked out VW. Just seems like the right thing to a true motoring enthusiast.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Boss08v10
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FordGuy85
I like manuals because that's all iv ever owned in a truck. Just seems right. I dono. I personally like Working the clutch in my Ford and my decked out VW. Just seems like the right thing to a true motoring enthusiast.
Ah yes the true motoring enthusiast!

Glad you doof ***** aren't running ford motor company as it would be extinct in short order. Yes you are super cool cause you drive a clutch, so did I for the first 17 years of driving and now as a motoring enthusiast I wouldn't take a manuel trans SD truck that was given to me unless I planned to just use it on occasion or a hunting truck.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:20 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
This young buck will take his TorqShift over a hand shaker any day.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:24 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Boss08v10

Glad you doof ***** aren't running ford motor company as it would be extinct in short order. Yes you are super cool cause you drive a clutch, so did I for the first 17 years of driving and now as a motoring enthusiast I wouldn't take a manuel trans SD truck that was given to me unless I planned to just use it on occasion or a hunting truck.
ROFL

No 13 speed Eaton no care

That will separate the men from the boys.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:37 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I understand why many want automatics. Still don't understand why they would ever quit making a manual option. Iv read every post here. Just still not convinced. I think its dumb.
I fail to see how someone cannot figure out why Ford axed the manual. Its quite simple.

1)The manual trucks have very low sales numbers vs autos
2) The ZF6 cannot handle the power from the 6.7l (Ever wonder why the manual in the Dodge with the Cummins is derated vs the auto)
3) People who want an auto will not buy a manual, people who want a manual may settle for an auto (I settled for an auto because I saved $5800 and 6 speed trucks with the V10 are very rare)

I like manuals I own a manual and an auto truck but I can see why Ford axed the manual. A well tuned auto will leave the manual in the dust anyway. Its too bad Ford doesn't tune them better from the factory.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:40 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
Originally Posted by Boss08v10

Hahahaha don't want to run Ford. Just want to drive them. Also Thanks man, I'm colder than ice! LOL

I can't believe you wouldn't take a free SD. Your leg can't be that wore out. Dang I'd take a free Chebby in a heart beat!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:53 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
Originally Posted by dkf
I fail to see how someone cannot figure out why Ford axed the manual. Its quite simple.

1)The manual trucks have very low sales numbers vs autos
2) The ZF6 cannot handle the power from the 6.7l (Ever wonder why the manual in the Dodge with the Cummins is derated vs the auto)
3) People who want an auto will not buy a manual, people who want a manual may settle for an auto (I settled for an auto because I saved $5800 and 6 speed trucks with the V10 are very rare)

I like manuals I own a manual and an auto truck but I can see why Ford axed the manual. A well tuned auto will leave the manual in the dust anyway. Its too bad Ford doesn't tune them better from the factory.
I see your points and understand them. I agree with a previous poster who explained that they simply made less manuals compared to autos because they will sell more on the lots. I believe this is true due to the fact that thats all the dealers were ordering. Shame.
I also understand that the zf6 cannot handle the torque of the new diesels. That trans is what...10 years old now? (Correct me if I'm wrong because I really don't know). It could handle the diesel power when it was made. My point here is Ford should have made a new manual trans for the newer engines.
Next I think your third point has to do with the first one. I think if they would have had more manual trucks to choose from on the lots, they would have sold more. U said yourself. V10 6spd is rare. Why? Anyone who ordered one kept it and the dealers were phasing it out.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:17 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Dealerships will not order a truck that they can't sell quickly....

Old 05-31-2012, 10:20 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I see your points and understand them. I agree with a previous poster who explained that they simply made less manuals compared to autos because they will sell more on the lots. I believe this is true due to the fact that thats all the dealers were ordering. Shame.
I also understand that the zf6 cannot handle the torque of the new diesels. That trans is what...10 years old now? (Correct me if I'm wrong because I really don't know). It could handle the diesel power when it was made. My point here is Ford should have made a new manual trans for the newer engines.
Next I think your third point has to do with the first one. I think if they would have had more manual trucks to choose from on the lots, they would have sold more. U said yourself. V10 6spd is rare. Why? Anyone who ordered one kept it and the dealers were phasing it out.
The ZF6 came in the 2002-2010 SDs. The 7.3l put out 520 tq, the 6.0l 570 tq and the 6.4l has 650 tq. The new 6.7l has 800 tq. Torque is what kills transmissions. The ZF6 should work fine behind the 6.2l (if the bolt pattern is the same) but spending the money for R&D, manual specific parts, emissions testing/certification and etc just for minut portion of guys who check off the 6.2l with manual trans box really doesn't make sense. Developing a new manual transmission to handle both engines will cost even more.

As for the dealer situation yeah I do believe more manuals and more V10s would have been sold if the dealers would have actually stocked them. Most dealers wanted to order stripped 5.4l trucks of loaded PSD trucks. Any new V10 on the lot was fairly rare in most places, a V10/manual was a unicorn, a reg cab DRW V10/manual is an albino unicorn with gold hoofs. If I could have found a manual V10 truck like the one I bought new back in 04' I would have bought it.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:32 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
Originally Posted by dkf
The ZF6 came in the 2002-2010 SDs. The 7.3l put out 520 tq, the 6.0l 570 tq and the 6.4l has 650 tq. The new 6.7l has 800 tq. Torque is what kills transmissions. The ZF6 should work fine behind the 6.2l (if the bolt pattern is the same) but spending the money for R&D, manual specific parts, emissions testing/certification and etc just for minut portion of guys who check off the 6.2l with manual trans box really doesn't make sense. Developing a new manual transmission to handle both engines will cost even more.

As for the dealer situation yeah I do believe more manuals and more V10s would have been sold if the dealers would have actually stocked them. Most dealers wanted to order stripped 5.4l trucks of loaded PSD trucks. Any new V10 on the lot was fairly rare in most places, a V10/manual was a unicorn, a reg cab DRW V10/manual is an albino unicorn with gold hoofs. If I could have found a manual V10 truck like the one I bought new back in 04' I would have bought it.
A friend of mine at work has a 2000 7.3 6spd. I thought it was a zf6.

I don't think it would have cost much more to developed a new trans as it did to put heated seats and steering wheels in these trucks along with all yhe other options that seem kind of goofy (telescoping mirrors ect.). I know a lot of people like these options but I don't.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:38 PM
2008fordguy
Senior User
you know, after reading through this thread, i think you guys are actually on to something. instead of just another boring 6 speed, ford should come out with a nice heavy duty 13 speed manual tranny, so you jokers can really pretend your driving a "mans" big rig... they should come out with some sweet air brakes too, im sure you guys will spend 80k on a pickup. heck, you already paid 55k for your 6.7, whats another 20 grand? your gonna die soon anyways lol

Old 06-01-2012, 02:06 AM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't even know how to drive an automatic.

...for you lazy drivers, how do you disconnect power from the wheels in a skid while keeping both hands on the wheel?

Quick Reply: Manual Transmissions in 2014+