1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

i'M MAKING VAROOOM VAROOM NOISES

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
John your attention to detail is amazing! I wish I had some of your patients for perfection!

How does the engine stand work as far as running the engine, in regards to to being hooked up to a transmission? I mean, do you hook something up to the engine to give it some load? Just curious..I would think that it could harm an engine under no load? I have never been around one so I am clueless.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:47 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Aint she pretty, I hope someday Ill be abel to get somethiing that nice. Congatulations, your excitement is well justified. Heck Im excited just looking at it.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:14 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
John your attention to detail is amazing! I wish I had some of your patients for perfection!

How does the engine stand work as far as running the engine, in regards to to being hooked up to a transmission? I mean, do you hook something up to the engine to give it some load? Just curious..I would think that it could harm an engine under no load? I have never been around one so I am clueless.
Jeff, initial break in with no load will not hurt one.... most engine break-in stands do not provide a load for the engine. The transmission is strictly for starter mounting,,, the starter mounts to the bell housing and engages the flex plate. There will be no torque converter in the housing... the transmission was drained years ago when I had a make believe time line for completion of this saga.

I'd like to do a few pulls on a dyno just to see... but it probably won't happen... they deal in hundreds of dollars like I do dollars. Maybe after it's done I can afford a chassis dyno and see what she'll do...

BTW who wants to volunteer to paint my engine... never got the block painted before assembly... it's gonna be a bear to tape off and I guess rattle can it... can't decide on a color... what would look good with dark gray metallic frame and chrome yellow truck ??? there will be a set of Sanderson ceramic coated headers there also... suggestions ??? chevy guy I work with suggested chevy hugger orange... I think I threw up a little in my mouth when he said that !

j

Old 01-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks John, as I said before! LOL I didn't have a clue!
And I like the darker Ford Blue! I don't like the Ford Robin Egg Blue. especially after some time, it gets lighter. Just not my color...but is my opinion!

Old 01-24-2012, 07:53 PM
lexcoe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I vote for a dark grey metallic engine.........

Old 01-25-2012, 07:01 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John - Just a thought - When you transfer the motor from the stand keep the wiring for the cut-off switch intact and bring it into the cab - You'll have it to tell me later that you didn't need it.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:12 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
well, we've had issues.. too much work... horses that needed tending (by the builder) illness all around... and when we sat the fat old pig on the run in stand... it sorta squatted...a little and the holes don't match the hole holders...

I built the stand with a bare block and the 700# beast it is now seems to have spread the run in frame a little...

tomorrow I'm going over to help Jerry get things lined back up and get the bolts in the bolt holders...

there is a possibility... just saying... there might be fire in the hole if all goes well... wish I had a video camera ...

more as unfolding developments... well, unfold and develop...

I'd miss a days pay to do this... oh wait... I am !

later
john varoooooooooommmmm

Old 02-29-2012, 08:55 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 289 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon
i'M MAKING VAROOOM VAROOM NOISES
Have you thought of trying that Beano stuff, John? LOL!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Vrrrrooooom vroom vroom vroom
VVVRRRRRoooooommmmmm, vrooooooom vroom vroom vroom vroom
VVVRROOOOMMMMMM!!!!! VRRRRROOOOMMMM!!! VVVRRROOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Nighthawk756
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chevy guy I work with suggested chevy hugger orange... I think I threw up a little in my mouth when he said that !

j
I just threw up a little in my mouth when I read that!!

Congrats! Can't wait to hear the progress report on finally getting her running!

I see you're from Hueytown....I grew up in Pleasant Grove. I now live just NE of Trussville now....maybe we can meet up one day. Are you planning on going to the SuperNats this year?

Old 03-01-2012, 11:17 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
hey Brad...

plans are now to go... but out of the past 5 years, made it once... I did go to the Smoky Mt. run last year... nice little show... but I miss the supernats since they are back in PF..

we should meet up... time is always my enemy lately... but you never know

john

Bobby... don't be gunning my engine like that

Old 03-01-2012, 12:08 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
chevy guy I work with suggested chevy hugger orange... I think I threw up a little in my mouth when he said that !
j
Originally Posted by Nighthawk756
I just threw up a little in my mouth when I read that!!
Several years ago, before the Dale Earnhardt crash, a friend borrowed the engine stand. When I got it back, it had an orange "3" painted on it. You can see it in the lower right corner of the pic. No offense intended to DE, but yuck!

As for color: Paint it the color you think will make it stand out.

Looking forward to hearing you got it fired.

Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2012, 07:08 AM
Nighthawk756
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey Brad...

plans are now to go... but out of the past 5 years, made it once... I did go to the Smoky Mt. run last year... nice little show... but I miss the supernats since they are back in PF..

we should meet up... time is always my enemy lately... but you never know

john
Yeah, we should definitely meet up! If we can't seem to meet up here locally, maybe at the nats!

Old 03-03-2012, 08:51 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
maybe we can find an opportunity some time... Up until a couple weeks ago my workdays started about 4:45 and ended around 4 pm.. and usually 6 of them in a row...had a maintenance outage a few months ago that was 45days straight 13 hour days... made some good money but was whipped for two months after that. Up till lately I only had a couple hours in the evening and Sunday pm after church to do chores and get some truck work in..

worked has calmed down a little now and I'm only doing 45-50 hours a week and nothing on the weekends... still plugging away in the evenings on the truck but the weekends are for fun... headed to Biloxi next weekend as a matter of fact.

looking forward to nicer weather and some truck shows. We usually try for the Supernats and the SmokyMt run... then Crusin the coast in October and the Emerald Coast show in Panama city in November... hope to make all of them this year...

Effie>... I wouldn't let him borrow that stand again

john

Old 03-03-2012, 01:37 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
OOH OOH OOH I know! Paint it yellow! Yellow engines look great and have Ford history.

Quick Reply: i'M MAKING VAROOOM VAROOM NOISES