1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Adding a high top roof to Econoline...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 10:30 AM
86scotty
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dbasso, i'm with you. I love my van, and really want to raise the roof and haul the camper less, but VERY hesitant about doing it myself. Have you read the "elvis the baluga whale" thread over on the Sportsmobile forum in the Home Builds section? I'd link it if i had it close, i'll try, but it's easy to find. I'm pretty sure you've been on the Sportsmobile Forum in the Home Builds section, right? If not, it's awesome. It's where i've spent a good bit of time and learned a ton. My van is a passenger model with factory roof air, and what i'd really like to do it add a high roof and just basically lift the factory headliner up in to it, with the factory roof air duct system in place, i've never yet seen this done, and i don't know why, since it's the most effective roof air option.
Keep us posted on what you find in the way of affordable tops!

Old 01-29-2012, 11:53 AM
86scotty
Senior User
Old 01-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Bbasso
Elder User
I somehow missed that thread... thanks!
Once I decide on what to do I guess I'll have to make a thread on the mess lol

Old 01-30-2012, 05:43 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Hey Scotty----not being a buzz kill but I don't think the Moderators like the idea of posting links to other sites. I posted one to a site about the European Transit and it was allowed to stand but frowned upon. However I'm a member of that site and there are some fascinating projects underway there!

Also most raised roofs aren't the same width at the top as our standard E Van's roofs so the factory ducted headliner can't be fitted without a lot of trimming and custom fitting. I do see a lot of cargo vans for sale fitted with those headliners but I'm not sure if that's a factory option or something done by the van owner?

I added rear heat and ducting to my raised roof E250 but its all above the headiner which is a bit more efficient than the left rear mounted factory heater as the warm air travels a shorter distance. I'd love to see any finished van that's had your conversion done though---and know how effective it would be heating and cooling too.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:48 AM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 92 Likes on 87 Posts
This was $2500 at the handicap conversion dealers, they did them for room as opposed to lowering the floor, something that could only be done safely in Econolines, but was twice the cost of raising the roof. I thought about it, but handling suffers, as it makes you taller and increases drag, never though so little would make so much difference but it does, I had one.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:44 AM
86scotty
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA
Hey Scotty----not being a buzz kill but I don't think the Moderators like the idea of posting links to other sites. I posted one to a site about the European Transit and it was allowed to stand but frowned upon. However I'm a member of that site and there are some fascinating projects underway there!

Also most raised roofs aren't the same width at the top as our standard E Van's roofs so the factory ducted headliner can't be fitted without a lot of trimming and custom fitting. I do see a lot of cargo vans for sale fitted with those headliners but I'm not sure if that's a factory option or something done by the van owner?

I added rear heat and ducting to my raised roof E250 but its all above the headiner which is a bit more efficient than the left rear mounted factory heater as the warm air travels a shorter distance. I'd love to see any finished van that's had your conversion done though---and know how effective it would be heating and cooling too.
Really? Hard to believe the moderators would care since all enthusiast forums are just ways to share information, but i believe you. Anyway, no word yet, if they don't like it i'm sure i'll find out. Sportsmobile forum is a great place for van guys to hang out though, lots of good info there. I've been working on my own home build camper thread over there that you guys should check out. I may be tempting the powers that be here, huh? Oh well.

yes, i know the width is definitely different, but it seems to me that by now, someone would have added a foot or two of ductwork up the rear left side where the factory roof air is mounted, and just trimmed the sides off as far as needed on the factory headliner and raise it up. I mean, it's formed well, it has great vents, it's already the same color/material. I may just attempt it one day if i ever add a roof cap to mine. The factory roof air is one of the best reasons for buying a passenger van IMO, but of course i live in Tn. where it's really humid, or snowing.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:05 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Scotty you and I are both members of SportsMobile and no doubt it addresses things like raised roofs and full conversions of vans into campers---tons of great info there. I posted a similar suggestion to another site and was cautioned but never sanctioned----that was my thought behind my comments. Forums such as FTE and SportsMobile are indeed great resources and shared info---its nice to refer them if its pertinent to a topic. It doesn't seem there's been any issues with your referral.

The ducted/vented factory headliners are a great idea and I'd also like to see someone's finished project moving it upward in a raised roof. Were it not for my lighting needs I'd have searched for a nice condition headliner and adapted it into my van. For me it was easier to build out new since I was adding a few other things as well.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:58 AM
86scotty
Senior User
JWA, do you have pics of yours posted somewhere? I'd love to see it.
thx