6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

FX4 Rancho Shocks, Who has checked -were they good or bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Autumnredf250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New bilstein shocks arrived today and went right to work installing them . Well my findings where the sane as everyone else's one rear shock expanded all the way after compression, the other expanded very little if at all . Moved to the fronts , at first they didn't expand at all and when they did they expanded to two differnt links, I ended up with four differnt length shocks. I will be taking them to my ford dealer to show them. I am definitely not a happy ford customer tonight . They could have easily unbolted these as I asked and proved to me they where good , but they knew they where bad a would not do a thing for me as a customer. I would love to post a pic of these shocks on here for all to see , if anyone knows how to post a pic on here from an iPhone please let me know thanks

Old 07-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Autumnredf250[/QUOTE
Moved to the fronts , at first they didn't expand at all and when they did they expanded to two differnt links, I ended up with four differnt length shocks. I will be taking them to my ford dealer to show them.
The reason they didn't help you before is the same reason they won't help you now. There is nothing wrong with your shocks; they are performing as designed. Their job isn't to hold the truck up, but to dampen suspension movement. I could paste the relevant information from the service manual, but I think Rusty explained it well here:

Originally Posted by SrMasterTech
The way the suspension works is, the coil spring take the impact and the shock controls the rebound from the spring. Knowing this means that the absorbing stroke of the shock is the when the shock is being extended. Not how long it takes for it to extend, or if it does extend. I would not fail a shock just by doing this. A shock can still be incorrect for your specific application, like towing. If you are experiencing bouncing that slowly reduces or fluid leaking, this can be a shock. Incorrect ride height can also effect ride quality. FX4 package is the Rancho shock add on and their valving is specific for the Ford vehicle they are supplied on and not just a series model, F-150,-250,-350. The Bilstein shock is a great shock as well and they work great on the truck due to their own specific valving.
You were looking for an upgrade, not a repair. There is a difference.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Autumnredf250
New User
Crazy001
You must be brain washed by ford. Shocks should all be matching size when removed and should dampen at the same rate lol. Why don't you wait to see my pics before posting something so crazy . I would not be complaining about the shocks and in your opinion looking for an upgrade if they all worked the same and just where of poor quality. When I spend over 60000 for a new truck I expect much better quality than what I received .

Old 07-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Autumnredf250
Crazy001
You must be brain washed by ford. Shocks should all be matching size when removed and should dampen at the same rate lol. Why don't you wait to see my pics before posting something so crazy . I would not be complaining about the shocks and in your opinion looking for an upgrade if they all worked the same and just where of poor quality. When I spend over 60000 for a new truck I expect much better quality than what I received .
Not at all, I have no need to see your photos. I've seen numerous photos of "bad" shocks. The degree to which they extend on their own is irrelevant, they can still function as designed. I'm not trying to say that I like them or anything, I upgraded the ones on my Excursion at the first chance I got!

And as far as posting crazy things, it's in my nature.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Romeo Scorpion
Senior User
Originally Posted by Autumnredf250
Crazy001
Want to know what truly bad shocks feel like? Drive your truck without the shocks installed.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:06 PM
Autumnredf250
New User
Well , I have good news, after going all the way through customer service at FoMoCo , my dealership etc telling me I didn't know what I was talking about etc. the shocks where taken off and only one was working as a shock should ( left rear). Once my General Manager seen the pics , and the shocks in person , It was determined that I was right all along !!! So I guess you can get money out if berating a dead horse lol, I have a check from my dealership paying for my new bilstein 5100s .... Now I'm still not done with FoMoCo and their lack of caring about their customers satisfaction , the complaint has been filed to see how they will handle it on their end , but my dealer did right by me , but only after going to the General manager

Old 07-30-2013, 02:58 PM
Autumnredf250
New User
Fellow super duty owners just to let you know I have started a complaint with the NHTSA National highway traffic safety administration . Please call them at 1-888-327-4236 and let them know of your experience you have had with these shocks on your truck. I know how Ford Motor Company has made me feel as a customer , and still will not talk to me or admit there is a problems with these shocks on our trucks. Lets let ourselves be heard that we are not going to put our family's at danger . They need to stick behind their customers and listen when we tell them something is wrong with our trucks and change their policy's in how they check for defective parts. Please make the call today and tell the NHTSA your story and how Ford Treated you as a customer!!!!! My dealer agreed my shocks where bad and took care of me , but I know a lot of you have not been made whole at all. Now it's time Ford heard from us as a group . Please help get this issue that Ford doesn't want to admit to , into a Recall!!!!

Old 07-30-2013, 05:54 PM
MX727
Senior User
Do you want those of us with 140K miles and no issues to call too?

Old 03-22-2014, 11:17 AM
Bronccat
Trailering
Resurrection Post.

Got my '14 F250 FX4 SCREW last Friday. (lso has the camper package with overload leaf, anti-sway rear and HD coils)

I was VERY impressed with ride until yesterday. I was driving a particularly rough stretch of interstate - the *** end was bouncing and it was literally jarring my teeth.

I drove around the rest of the day thinking "something has changed from the first 300 miles I have driven".

Wonder if this typical for a SD or if I should be pointed towards new shocks.

Thanks

Old 03-22-2014, 11:32 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Even with the adjustable Rancho 9000 shocks my trucks rear end turns into a Pogo stick on certain roads.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:35 AM
Bronccat
Trailering
Thanks, I figured it was (to a degree) just part of having an SD

Old 03-22-2014, 02:37 PM
Autumnredf250
New User
Originally Posted by Bronccat
Thanks, I figured it was (to a degree) just part of having an SD
For piece of mind if you have rancho shocks , unbolt them at the bottom and compress them , easiest way to tell if they are bad or not

Old 03-22-2014, 05:00 PM
mikethomas
Junior User
I replaced my stock Rancho's with Rancho 9000's last September and have about 7000 miles on them. I honestly can't say that I can tell a difference. I have my new shocks set on 5. The old ones when I took them off still had a lot of life left in them.

Mike

Old 03-22-2014, 06:30 PM
XXLTexan
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
6500 miles on mine and I know they are trash. They come off on Thursday but I know. I've taken a couple dozen trucks worth of shocks of of half and 3/4 ton fx4s ALL (mine and friends) have been trash even low miles. TRASH!! But I'm the shock ****...

Old 03-22-2014, 07:59 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
You guys just about have me talked into spending more money. This forum is expensive! I didn't want the FX4 package, but it was on the truck I purchased. My original plan was to order a truck, but the deal I got my sig truck was too good to pass up, and I wouldn't have to wait for a truck to be built (patience is not my strong suit). I figured getting stuck with the FX4 wasn't too bad of a compromise, but I don't like the tail end getting ****-eyed at 70 mph when hitting expansion joints. Time to fix it - I think.

Quick Reply: FX4 Rancho Shocks, Who has checked -were they good or bad