6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

CUSTOM CCV MOD FOR 6.4

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 AM
SeaPig
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Excellent Sir!!!!
Thank you very much for answering that for me!
I am pretty new to these fittings, and kind of learning as I go.
The time frame for answering was no problem. I am still 6475 miles away from my truck
~Mike~

Old 04-24-2012, 10:47 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SeaPig
Excellent Sir!!!!
Thank you very much for answering that for me!
I am pretty new to these fittings, and kind of learning as I go.
The time frame for answering was no problem. I am still 6475 miles away from my truck
~Mike~
Was on the road tried to respond to your e-mail but it said you dont recieve e-mails from users and to contact an admin so i responded here.

The o-ring style is ORB ( O-ring BOSS fitting) the fitting should be a -16 male JIC if thats the size hose your running by 3/4 ORB to fit into the 4500 CCV racor filter housing. -16 JIC X 3/4 ORB should be the name.

As far as the weld on fitting i cant find the specific name i believe it would be a -16 male JIC x 3/4 socket weld, but I can offer an alternative.. buy a male -16 plug and drill it to the right size to fit the existing inlet and outlet barbed fitting that connects the hose from the oil fill spout to the intake in the stock setup. Should be around 3/4 inch. shouldn't be real tight you need a little room for the epoxy. Hope this helps.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:16 PM
SeaPig
5th Wheeling
YOU ARE THE MAN!!!
Thank you SO much for answering that for me.
I will fix the E-mail thing right now
More than appreciated brother!!
~Mike~

Old 04-26-2012, 07:49 PM
KPBJJ
Junior User
What do you guys think about venting the ccv out into the atmosphere? Is this pretty easy to do? Can I just run the tube from the ccv under neath my truck and leave it open and cap the intake side tube hole? If so how bad is the smoke, smell and leakage?

Old 04-26-2012, 08:47 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by KPBJJ
What do you guys think about venting the ccv out into the atmosphere? Is this pretty easy to do? Can I just run the tube from the ccv under neath my truck and leave it open and cap the intake side tube hole? If so how bad is the smoke, smell and leakage?
I'm sure u can but u will smell it and it will create a mess over time since I have had mine I have probably pulled close to a half a quart of oil that would have been run all over the frame with an open setup. A little vacuum on the crankcase sealed IMO .

Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08
I'm sure u can but u will smell it and it will create a mess over time since I have had mine I have probably pulled close to a half a quart of oil that would have been run all over the frame with an open setup. A little vacuum on the crankcase sealed IMO .
I have seen some home made catch cans to help with the mess just depends how much u wanna mess with it

Old 04-26-2012, 08:54 PM
KPBJJ
Junior User
I just pulled my hose off and rubbed my finger around in there and there wasn't any oil. It was dry. How come?

Old 04-26-2012, 09:10 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by KPBJJ
I just pulled my hose off and rubbed my finger around in there and there wasn't any oil. It was dry. How come?
I did Think it's ever wet just lightly moist, usually u see more oil collected around the LP turbo if u pull the hose off the inlet

Old 04-27-2012, 12:46 AM
chromedom
Junior User
Racor monitors

Originally Posted by SeaPig
FM the ChromeDom....Great handle by the way
Have a remote monitor (from Racor) to see if the pressure builds in the CCV

That sounds like a great add on to the CCV MOD.
Do you by chance have a link for it, so that we can investigate?
Thanks
~Mike~
Sorry my email alerts weren't working I think.
Anyway the monitor I got was Racor CCV55012. Seen it at Diesel Filters for $53.94. The deluxe model is CCV55615 (big bucks). Just needed something so I didn't have to crawl under the truck. Easy install, just tap into the line (used the 45 deg elbow drill and tap a fitting) from your crankcase to the filter and mount on the fender well, It looks just like the air filter monitor.
The link for the brochure is:
Parker - Engineering Your Success

Sorry for the wait,

Dave

Old 04-27-2012, 12:58 AM
SeaPig
5th Wheeling
I think it is great Dave and the information is appreciated!
~Mike~

Old 07-28-2013, 12:41 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

I have an update on this install. I recently went thru an issue with another bed plate leak. The dealer fixed it on there dime simply because I had evidence the repair was not completed right last year. Long story short they where trying to deny the repair because they said my crank case pressure was high as a result of running 40-45 psi boost causing the issue. I never took my tuner out cause my warranty was up anyways. I had photos and docs from the day I picked it up it had an oil leak before I left the dealership. They claimed it was residual oil and i made them document my concearns. So 8 months later I brought it back because the leak was worse. Anyways they fixed on there dime based on the info and document's I had, but I was curious about the crank case pressure and it did raise my interest of the potential problem.

Come to find out the my crank case pressures where a little high just idling and above normal under high boost conditions due to the restrections of the racor filter. To counter this the Filter housing is designed with a by-pass valve to prevent over-pressure of the CC. After a little research I found my filter was going to by-pass a-lot. Racor has several different filters for the CCV4500. The high density and ultra high-density efficiency filters are the most popular. The problem is these are very restrictive on the crankcase on boost conditions and the filter goes to by-pass. As we all know the 6.4 has alot of blow-by to begin with. After talking to a racor engineer about this issue, they suggested that i change to there High flow CCV filter, it is only 58 percent efficient opposed to the 98 percent efficiency of the ultra filter but should work better considering how often the other filter was causing the by-pass valve to open.

The part number of the high flow filter is CCV55248-04. There not easy to get, i had to special order them. So far the new filter is working very well and crank case pressure's are much better. The filter housing dosent appear to be going to by-pass anymore. This may not apply to everyone using this mod, but in my case running a 210HP tune required some additional changes to the filter element to make the system work better and efficient and less restrective.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:46 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great to know. Makes me feel better about my choice to vent to atmosphere with a full 1" ID heater hose. I'm running a 300 Tune and have a good amount of flow at the outlet point. A Bypass/filter setup may not be best for everyone. Probably best for non-tuned vehicles.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:56 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
I will have to check my filter but I would be almost certain that it is not the 58% version. I don't have a bed plate leak or anything. I generally only push up to 40 PSI at most so that may also not warrant a change in filters.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:22 AM
matted2thefloor
New User
Found this and thought it may help some who are interested in knowing specs for fittings and such...

http://www.parker.com/literature/Rac...CCV_Series.pdf

Old 07-29-2013, 03:16 AM
SeaPig
5th Wheeling
SandDemon-
First off, thank you for bringing up this thread. I am getting ready to go home soon from Afghanistan, (Finally) and this will be my first Mod on this truck.
Could you please post the information you used to purchase this other filter.
Even after a few months, this thread is still viable.
V/r
Mike

Last edited by SeaPig; 07-29-2013 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Wanted to get a name correct

Quick Reply: CUSTOM CCV MOD FOR 6.4