Notices

Raptor Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 05:59 AM
5.4T
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by b-uno
nothing depreciates faster then a vehicle!

Boy i wish i had known that before throwing away cash on a chevy truck in 98! biggest life regret! still wont sell it to this day! could have paid my schooling off 2x for what it cost. Vehicles are a waste of money for people that have money to waste.

carry on.
it true but it hard Not too XD

Old 08-07-2012, 06:02 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by T0C
Fukk that! Buy a new truck. I had ****ty cars all threw school and after I graduated and did a bit of collage I bought Brand new or a couple years old new. If you do it right you can buy and sell a vehicle and not loose really anything on it (minor used) and you will always have a new truck. You need something you can rely on or else its just gonna cost you and give you that much more grief! Never buy anything older then 3 years old, that way you can sell it for the same price you got it for in 2 years.
Are you picking up what Im laying down? Maybe you need more school???

But to get back on topic; My old (sold this year) 2007 Nissan Titan had about the same fuel mileage as my 2012 Raptor.

This is a ridiculous thought process, selling something for the same price you bought it for, 2 years later?

Care to share how you get that done?

Maybe, maybe.. you pulled it off, but that doesn't make it good advice

Old 08-25-2012, 07:24 AM
73ferdf250highboy
Elder User
If your moving to sac. Get a jeep. Rubicon trail sound like fun? I moved out here from virginia bout 15 years ago. Big mud trucks are high and dry in the summer. Mine sits for 6 months a year. My little jeep does the same for the wet months. All my buddies do the rock crawling thing in the summer months and mud in the winter.
I like the thought of a newer truck, thats why im here. A raptor or powerstroke...

If you want a truck to beat on...go find an old non smog highboy

I heard it mentioned: HEAT it kinda cooled off the last few days.

My $.02

Old 08-26-2012, 09:18 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
So where is this big payout coming from?

Old 08-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Darky
Junior User
Originally Posted by Red460
Have to agree, pretty unlikely you can stretch those greenbacks to find a truck and make it as good as a Raptor. I've looked into it and way outta my ballpark for a company truck, would be cool though. You have to be realistic.
Not that difficult really...Guy in my club bought a used 2003ish F150 for 10k, put a little over 10k into it and has a rig that will smoke a Raptor. More travel, readily available parts (from more than the Ford dealer), and a pretty sweet basket/rack system in the bed to haul his gear. He goes and runs around in Baja on a regular basis with it.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:49 PM
Zookie400
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your buddy doesnt have a warranty. a new raptor does.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:19 PM
chris2006F150
New User
Go ahead get a dodge...

not that it'll last long, if you do get it you'll be regretting it for a long time. Only one word comes to mind when i think of the dodge. CRAP. yah i had some money to burn a while back when i got a new job, even though im a Ford guy i got a good deal from a friend. yah some "friend" he turned out to be. I had 8k in repairs the first year and 6k the next. finally i said to hell with this. Went and got a used F150. And i'll never look back at that pos...ever. And ya every dodge guy will say well thats just 1 out of 100,000 good ones. and they are wrong. my mom bought a durango with a hemi and all the bells n whistles. and that pos had a blown gasket before 20k miles and the transmission went out before 75k miles. they are absolute crap, always have been always will be. The F150 i bought has been to hell and back, treat it like dirt and it is still standing strong after 5years of torture it is still as good as when i bought it... yah oooh dodge is fast oops wait was fast untill the trans went to ****. just trust me when i say Ford is the best, my whole family is fords and we hardly if ever have trouble. Hell my F150 will tear a dodge a new *** hole..In every category.
I mean if you dont want a Ford bad enough to look at dodges then at least get a chevy, but if you do get that dodge... please erase your profile off here.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:21 PM
chris2006F150
New User
Go ahead get a dodge...

not that it'll last long, if you do get it you'll be regretting it for a long time. Only one word comes to mind when i think of the dodge. CRAP. yah i had some money to burn a while back when i got a new job, even though im a Ford guy i got a good deal from a friend. yah some "friend" he turned out to be. I had 8k in repairs the first year and 6k the next. finally i said to hell with this. Went and got a used F150. And i'll never look back at that pos...ever. And ya every dodge guy will say well thats just 1 out of 100,000 good ones. and they are wrong. my mom bought a durango with a hemi and all the bells n whistles. and that pos had a blown gasket before 20k miles and the transmission went out before 75k miles. they are absolute crap, always have been always will be. The F150 i bought has been to hell and back, treat it like dirt and it is still standing strong after 5years of torture it is still as good as when i bought it... yah oooh dodge is fast oops wait was fast untill the trans went to ****. just trust me when i say Ford is the best, my whole family is fords and we hardly if ever have trouble. Hell my F150 will tear a dodge a new *** hole..In every category.
I mean if you dont want a Ford bad enough to look at dodges then at least get a chevy, but if you do get that dodge... please erase your profile off here

Old 09-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Darky
Junior User
Originally Posted by Zookie400
your buddy doesnt have a warranty. a new raptor does.
He also has an extra 20-40k depending on how many options you get in your Raptor.

Besides, the statement was that you could never build a truck as good as the Raptor for that price. This guy built one with better performance for less than half the price. That'll buy a lot of repairs.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Zookie400
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you buddies truck will depreciate. the raptor will probably appreciate, or at least hold its value very well. and time is money, you need to factor in hours of labor to install all the better parts on the regular 150. vs walking into a dealer, buying a raptor, and driving it home.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Red460
Senior User
Gotta agree with Zookie on this, thats the way I see it anyway. If you wanna sink that kinda money into it thats your choice, but with a Raptor you have a guarantee, a warranty with Ford and with newer vehicles these days you need that. BTW if you wanna see a half-priced raptor watch Xtreme 4X4 they are building one. Kind of ironic isnt it?

Old 09-04-2012, 10:51 PM
393STROKER
Elder User
Originally Posted by nkenney
Okay so I will be in the market for a new car or truck in a few months. I really like raptors and could get a good deal on one my dealer will give me 2 to 3k atleast off msrp. But the mileage sucks is the raptor I have a 2005 ford expedition I will be keeping for winter and what ever car I get will be for summer and fun. Is there a way to improve the mpg thats why I am looking for something besides just the expy. Or is there any cars you think I should look at I am only 17 will be 18 in Dec. I got a big pay out that I can use once I turn 18 and want a fun car. Also I love fords but doesn't have to be I am not a traitor but I like Chevy's and Rams. My brother just traded in his 2006 Silverado for a 2012 dodge ram express. It has to be a american brand
You might want to consider buying a little silver toyota or honda so you will be in compliance with mainstream society. But if you want to get something nice to last you long enough to hand down to your kids someday, get the RAPTOR.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Darky
Junior User
I doubt the Raptor will appreciate. Go look at the prices on Lightnings or SRT10 Rams. Unless they're that special combination of rare, desirable, and in demand, vehicles depreciate. As the "homebuilt Raptor" goes, the truck is worth more now than when he got it, but still less than he spent on it. That's just the way things go.

But again, the remark was about how it's impossible to build something as good as the Raptor for that price. It's been done, by many people, really. Go look at some of the F150s especiallly that people have built for desert fun.

For warranties, I'd be careful about relying on it to fix things. It's not uncommon for carmakers to build a specialty performance vehicle and then deny warranty claims for things that broke while using the vehicle for what it was intended.

OP: If you want a Raptor, buy it. They are awesome trucks. Just be sure that it's the right decision. If you're worried about mpgs, the Raptor isn't for you, but then most vehicles in that category (trucks with big V8s, off-road vehicles, etc) won't return decent mpgs. A silver Toyota or Honda might be somewhat boring, but it will probably actually be more reliable. I'd look at the Subaru BRZ or (Toyota) Scion FRS. Same car, Toyota financed, Subaru designed. It won't go offroad, but it looks to be pretty fun, inexpensive, and will give good mpgs at the same time. Plus, for the cost difference, you could buy that and build a sweet wheeling rig, and still have cash left over!

Old 12-14-2012, 11:08 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

If I could fit in the damn thing I like them Challengers with the SRT big motor. I was on the road with one the other day and it sounded good until it shifted and the traction control limited the motor. My 6.7 does the same thing. Kind of weird for an old timer like me. I am no kid and like nice vehicles but now. I like luxury large muscle. Was thinking Raptor and just wondering fuel. I had muscle cars all my days and you wouldn't believe what was in my high school parking lot. Class of 72. Late 60s, early 70s SS, GS, Corvette, Road Runners, GTOs, Mustangs, Torino GTs, etc were just used cars then. My first car was a 1970 Dodge Dart 340 and it was considered a pony car so I upgraded in 72 to a 1970 Dodge Charger 440 six pack. It goes on but both those cars cost about $3000 each. My 66 Vette listed new for about $5500.

Any way is the Raptor the same cab as the 150?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:52 PM
bwep
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes.....the cab is the same size, no change there. Front and back are wider due to body panels, axel width is 7" wider than the standard f-150.