Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Which Splash Guards

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:52 AM
busyknight
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Eric for the comments. That driver's side OEM mat is (as you can see from the photo) already showing wear...and that's after only ONE month of use. Also, as long as I tend to keep my vehicles, there's probably no way I'd be able to keep up with the whereabouts of those floor mats!
But it's good to hear the Weathertech floor mats last. It looks like they would; that rubber/plastic material they're made out of, is plenty thick so I couldn't imagine them wearing out anytime soon.
--
Your sticker comment reminded me of the old Dodge Dakota I had. I'd bought it new and had it about one month before the Dodge "Quality Engineered" sticker on the bottom of the door frame peeled up. I would have gotten a kick out of it IF I hadn't been so d irritated at the time. It was one of those metalized stickers, designed to last. (The very thing they were advertising was the very first thing to go wrong! I thought, "quality engineered" my a).

Old 01-29-2012, 06:33 PM
ososlow
Junior User
Originally Posted by D-mon
AT weathertechs website it asks if the truck has flares and factory running boards. Then when you click YES it ONLY gives you the REAR mud flaps.
SO can you make them work on the front also.
The fronts fit no problem on my '11 FX4. I just selected yes for flares and no for the running board option and hoped for the best. There's plenty of room between the flap and step and they fit very nicely around the flares.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:50 PM
vans
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ososlow
The fronts fit no problem on my '11 FX4. I just selected yes for flares and no for the running board option and hoped for the best. There's plenty of room between the flap and step and they fit very nicely around the flares.
Same for me, they sure did install easy

Old 01-29-2012, 07:01 PM
ReForder
Fleet Mechanic

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts
Good to know, guys. Thanks for the feedback. Probably order a set over the next few weeks.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:32 PM
D-mon
Senior User
Yes thanks for the feedback.....Next week feb. 10-11 i will be stopping in at a truck accessories place and see if they have them and get them if they do. If not i will be ordering some ASAP

Any install tips??

Old 01-31-2012, 03:24 AM
ericbc7
Freshman User
I think you could do worse D-mon

I don't want to cause trouble, but why is there no discussion on what the flaps are supposed to do? As far as I'm concerned, they are there to keep crap off of the trailer and sides of the truck. What models keep the detritus off the car your towing?I would like to hear folks opinions on what keeps the nasty off your nerf bars and truck sides as well as looking good. (bit grumpy at moment ... srry).

follow up comment for busyknight: hehe, thank you for bringing me back to my senses, srry if i offended anyone by getting grumpy !

Last edited by ericbc7; 01-31-2012 at 03:34 AM. Reason: busyknight made me think :)
Old 01-31-2012, 08:53 PM
D-mon
Senior User
No problem ericbc7
So let me get this right...you want to know what flaps keep the debris off the running boards or at least i want to know.

thanks again

Old 01-31-2012, 09:51 PM
DIXIEDOG1
Elder User
Originally Posted by DIXIEDOG1
WeatherTechs are much nicer on the front than the Husky splash guards....I installed mine today and they don't have the molded in section to fit around the plastic rock guards on the front fenders so they leave a sizeable gap

I'll likely be pulling them off and replacing the fronts with WeatherTechs right off...I'm going to try calling Husky first to make sure I didn't get old stock or something that may not be exact for my truck. I'm hopeful they had a revision change to make them fit better...if not this is by far the worst Husky product I've ever purchased.
Just an update, I contacted Husky direct and they offer two different front molded mud guards for the F150's....they do make a set that looks like it fits like the Weatherguards. I've got a set on the way and I'll post up comparison pics when they arrive.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:23 PM
busyknight
Junior User
Thumbs up Good on you Dixiedog1

I would have guessed that Husky must have something to your liking. My son likes Husky products and he's much more of a 'tuck nut' than I am. He hasn't seen my Weathertech stuff yet so maybe I'll get a nod of approval from him but like I said, his first recommendation to me was Husky.
You know we're gona want to see pics when you're done, right?

Old 02-02-2012, 09:38 PM
busyknight
Junior User
Question And at the risk of gettin' the boot from Dixiedog1...

for hi-jacking his thread, I do have one other 'off topic' question. But this seems like a great group of guys following this thread so I'd like to try and get recommendations for one other minor product I've been considering.
I don't know what you call them but they're plastic and fit on the side windows at the top. They allow you to crack open your windows (& during the summer heat, here in Texas, that's bound to help keep the temps down inside the cab). And I guess they also help keep out the rain in case it starts raining when you have your windows crack a little bit.
Does anyone have experience with what I'm talking about? and are they worth the price? and how much is that anyway? How do they attach? And the F-150 window comes down in the front a little...do these things cover that front part of the window (or would rain just get in there)? Do they last or easy to break? And what is the price of eggs in China? (sorry for so many questions).

Old 02-02-2012, 10:22 PM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
I don't know why these companies don't think the front flaps fit with running boards. This misconception goes back to the 04-08 trucks too. From what I recall reading, there's only one type of running board that does cause some issues when mounting the front flaps, it's the molded platform style boards that come on the King Ranch and perhaps optional on other models, like this pic:

Old 02-03-2012, 12:04 AM
DIXIEDOG1
Elder User
Originally Posted by busyknight
for hi-jacking his thread, I do have one other 'off topic' question. But this seems like a great group of guys following this thread so I'd like to try and get recommendations for one other minor product I've been considering.
I don't know what you call them but they're plastic and fit on the side windows at the top. They allow you to crack open your windows (& during the summer heat, here in Texas, that's bound to help keep the temps down inside the cab). And I guess they also help keep out the rain in case it starts raining when you have your windows crack a little bit.
Does anyone have experience with what I'm talking about? and are they worth the price? and how much is that anyway? How do they attach? And the F-150 window comes down in the front a little...do these things cover that front part of the window (or would rain just get in there)? Do they last or easy to break? And what is the price of eggs in China? (sorry for so many questions).
They are called Vent Visors and they do work well, they hold on with double sided tape and I've never broken one. I haven't put any on my trucks in quite some time because the can cause slight wind leak noise on some vehicles. I'm not sure if it would happen with the F150 or not....they go inside the seal on your window channel.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:18 PM
busyknight
Junior User
Thanks DixieDog1....

at least I know what they're called now; I guess that's the first step in looking up good pricing on them! But you raised another concern - about the wind noise which also got me thinking about automatic car washes. I'm guessing they will hold up ok through car washes slapping them with those string brushes. And they must be made out of UV resistant plastic or they'd get brittle and crack & break.
So mostly that leaves the wind noise concern. I never thought about that. They look good just sittin' there with the sun beating down on 'em but I didn't think about a 60 or 70 mph wind whipping around them all the time.
I haven't looked at prices yet but now I'm not so hot to trot on them. Hummm....gona have to give this some more thought....

Old 12-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Fboykin
New User
I just put a set of rear Husky guards on my 2012 Expy. Nice fit! Much better than the oem factory - they're just plain flaps - the Husky ones are molded. Put 3M electrical tape along fender edge to protect paint. Going to do fronts when weather moderates.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:53 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
I've used the factory OEM molded flaps, front/rear, on 2 SD's, a'97 HD, 2 Rangers, and now on my 150. I like them, they hold up very good here in Michigan snow/ice, and, they look like they belong there. The last couple trucks, they were installed by the dealer just before I picked the trucks up.

Quick Reply: Which Splash Guards