Sponsored by: Moser

Small Flushmount Toolbox?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 01:44 PM
greene.phillip
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small Flushmount Toolbox?

I'm looking for a toolbox for my 09 S-Cab Flareside. I don't really need a full size tool box because I don't haul around a bunch of tools/stuff. I would like to see a box that would be:
flush mount so its not visible
short (length down into bed) use full bed length for hauling lumber, etc
shallow (cab to tailgate) so you don't lose much bed space

Almost like one of the standard side boxes you see on work trucks. I would just like to put jack, some basic tools, tie down straps, tow strap, etc in it but I want it secured to the truck so someone can't just pick it up and walk off.

Anyone have any ideas where I might find such a box?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:56 PM
awq134
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in the same boat.

I'm not sure if i understand what you are asking, but you want it low enough so it's not above the top of the bed rail and you want it to go from the cab of the truck to the tailgate and youw ant it not so wide that it takes up your whole bed?

I'm looking for a fairly shallow one that i can set on some sort of bracket to reais it off the bed of the truck so i can slide lumbar under it, but still have it sit just below the bed rails as i have a taunno cover.

I have yet to find anything that fits my likingso far. I hope your search goes better than mine.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:34 PM
greene.phillip
New User
Originally Posted by awq134
I'm in the same boat.

I'm not sure if i understand what you are asking, but you want it low enough so it's not above the top of the bed rail and you want it to go from the cab of the truck to the tailgate and youw ant it not so wide that it takes up your whole bed?

I'm looking for a fairly shallow one that i can set on some sort of bracket to reais it off the bed of the truck so i can slide lumbar under it, but still have it sit just below the bed rails as i have a taunno cover.

I have yet to find anything that fits my likingso far. I hope your search goes better than mine.
No sorry for the confusion. I would like it to:

-Sit below the sides of the bed so as to not be visible from a distance "Flush Mount" seems to be the name

-Not touch the bottom of the bed to allow for long items, such as lumber to still have full bed length to use

-Not be deep front to back. 12" or so

So about 48-50" wide as normal, about 12" deep and about 12" tall. But still mount like a standard tool box so it is secure.

Closest example I can find is this. Which best I can tell would mount just like a standard crossover box except it doesn't sit up above the bed rails.
60 in. Flush Mount Truck Tool Box-TAWB60SL at The Home Depot

The differences I'm looking for is, obviously this is too wide for flareside, and where this is 18.5 deep and 18.5 front to back, I'm looking for something closer to 12" or even a tad smaller front to back and similar or slightly shallower. Make more sense?

Basically I think we want the same thing but your truck appers to be styleside where mine is flareside and I want something that doesn't extend as far from the cab as a normal box. I'm also wanting a single lid that opens up against the back window basically.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:09 PM
awq134
Elder User
yes, i believe we are talking about the exact same thing, well except for the width, due to the different dimensions of our trucks.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:52 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Guys look at the Tuxedo Tonneaumate
TonneauMate - The Perfect Mate For Your Tonneau Cover

This might be what you're looking for.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:08 PM
greene.phillip
New User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Guys look at the Tuxedo Tonneaumate
TonneauMate - The Perfect Mate For Your Tonneau Cover

This might be what you're looking for.
Thanks for the info. Sadly for me they don't make it for flareside. I could live with it being a little narrower as well but i digress.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:14 PM
wwilson43
Senior User
Check on autoanything.com they may have what you need

Old 01-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
I found a box similar to what you are asking for at Lowe's. I haven't bought one yet as I'm still using my old one. But it is really too wide for the narrower box of the newer trucks. But I bolted 2"wide x6"tall x18" long aluminum risers (homemade) to the bed floor with 50" width between them and bolted the box to the alumunum risers. So far it has worked out. This coming spring I think I'll purchase an aluminum box from Lowe's and get rid of the oversize box I'm using now to save some space. I may have to also install a couple of stringers between the risers to mount the box to if the risers are too far apart for the box I get.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:27 PM
greene.phillip
New User
Originally Posted by Greg B
I found a box similar to what you are asking for a Lowe's. I haven't bought one yet as I'm still using my old one. But it is really too wide for the narrower box of the newer trucks. But I bolted 2"wide x6"tall x18" long aluminum risers (homemade) to the bed floor with 50" width between them and bolted the box to the alumunum risers. So far it has worked out. This coming spring I think I'll purchase an aluminum box from Lowe's and get rid of the oversize box I'm using now to save some space.
Ill be checking around a bit this weekend locally. ill definitely check there.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
With the flareside you might look at one sized for a Ranger or S-10. Take your tape measure with you and good luck.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:24 PM
D-mon
Senior User
Tuffy products
Makes a bunch of tool boxes that fit below the rails and is only 6"-10" well long kinda and as wide as the bed. Also there are some that run the length of the truck and 6"-10" wide. then there are some that are maybe 2 feet long by 6"-10" wide(opening) and all of them fit below the bed rails. Might not work to raise it but so boards fit under it? Maybe special order?

I do like the looks of them since its small and doesn't take up alot of space and fits below the rails. But they are spendy. I still haven't decided what to get yet on that or even a topper/tanneau cover.

Whats ever one have for "Under Seat Storage" ?

Old 01-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Lady Fitzgerald
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although expensive, you might consider a shell like I have on my little Screw (see the photo in my sig.). A Leer 100R, it has a tool box on both sides where the side windows normally go. The tool boxes can be ordered with or without a bin shelf (I got mine with out the shelves but I'm thinking of getting a shelf on one side only on the next one).

Old 01-21-2012, 03:20 PM
greene.phillip
New User
Originally Posted by D-mon
Tuffy products
Makes a bunch of tool boxes that fit below the rails and is only 6"-10" well long kinda and as wide as the bed. Also there are some that run the length of the truck and 6"-10" wide. then there are some that are maybe 2 feet long by 6"-10" wide(opening) and all of them fit below the bed rails. Might not work to raise it but so boards fit under it? Maybe special order?

I do like the looks of them since its small and doesn't take up alot of space and fits below the rails. But they are spendy. I still haven't decided what to get yet on that or even a topper/tanneau cover.

Whats ever one have for "Under Seat Storage" ?
Front Truck-Bed Storage Box (Aluminum 62" Wide) for Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota, GMC, Truck, Flatbed, utility van is almost exactly what I had in mind. I'd rather it be a bit shallower (more space under it to the bed) and perhaps a little deeper (sticking out into the bed). @ $447 it is indeed spendy. Maybe I should see about having something fabricated for me.

Thanks for that link either way. The underseat box looks pretty nice too but I'm trying to maintain that space.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:51 PM
D-mon
Senior User
greene.phillip
I am also trying to save that room under the seats since today we hauled some groceries and man it was nice having all that room. But then again I just got some jumper cables,ratchet straps, and a 3x30' tow rope so i need to find a place to put that kinda of stuff so.........either under the seat, tool box in bed, or just a cheap plastic box in the truck bed WITH a topper or tanneau cover......??

Old 01-22-2012, 08:15 AM
parker245
Senior User
My '09 is the first short bed I've had. I don't want to lose bed space over hauling capacity for large items but need storage for tools and other items that I feel I need to be comfortable when cruising around - chains, tie downs, jumper cables, etc.... I'm in a quandry myself on what to do but am looking at it at all angels.

Quick Reply: Small Flushmount Toolbox?