6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

SG II Accuracy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:20 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I was going to go get a thermometer and my laser temp gun and my Torque APP (which you see in my other post) for phone, the SGII, my wet finger to stick in the wind and check temps for you guys, but crap, I plugged in my truck a little while ago so the test is off until next weekend. LOL

Wait a minute, I could use this as a reason to get an AE!!!!!! woohoo!!!

Just joking gentemen, just joking.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:31 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
It should be relatively easy to take an infared laser scanner and, at least, verify fWT vs. ECT and EOT by shooting the sensors. There can't be that much temperature difference in less than a 1/2 inch of pot metal (EOT) sensor. The ECT should be really close.

It's hard to run AE and SGII at the same time without somekind of splitter but at operating temperature the sensors should all read the same IF the PID's are the same.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:48 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
I'm not sure you have to wait for cold soak to check comparison between sensors. Oil and coolant should be pretty close to the same after an hour. They are all going to be whatever the engine block temperature is. That's with the engine off of course. I haven't checked this, but I think I will just out of curiosity. Because the fluids are not flowing, they are quickly going to stabilize at block temp. TFT would be totally different.

I would be surprised if you got any useful data from a laser gun on the outside.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:44 PM
rschwarzwalder
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have checked the temps after being shut down for a short time, and believe it or not with the +6 ECT both temps were at 160 after coming down from fully warmed.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:14 PM
79 Stepside
Junior User
Originally Posted by 79 Stepside
Just curious myself . Got a sc ll for chrismas and installed the monday after . Start watching ECT & EOT. ECT temps. would only get to 179* . I had a delta of 20* -22* . Done a coolant flush with vc-9 & backflushed heater core. Installed new MC t-stat with housing. ECT only show 188* max. Now delta is 18*-20* . Possible SC ll problem?
Just a few ? Just went out and checked my temps. fWT 48* , TFT 48* , EOT 50.1*. Truck has been setting since Saturday. Should I install the ECT pid or is the fWT the same. I took it as the same reading just easier to comprehend when look at ECT instead of fWT.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:20 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv
No reason to. I trust my readings.

I'll by an AE before an Edge Insight.

But, thanks for the thought!

That goes for me too

Just Cuz a couple guys readings are off Doesnt mean its the SGII it could be there sending unit or wire chaffe/shorted wire.

As with anything eles there could be a Bad SGII out there to

But for the most part I think that the SGII are right on the money and theres a TON of folks that own them and watch them like a Hawk

Old 01-23-2012, 07:22 PM
rschwarzwalder
Freshman User
The ECT is close but not exactly the same as fWT in my experience, maybe just reaction time difference, I say try them both and see because you can watch them at the same time. If you feel like it try the +6 version I posted and let me know your numbers please!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:44 PM
79 Stepside
Junior User
Originally Posted by rschwarzwalder
The ECT is close but not exactly the same as fWT in my experience, maybe just reaction time difference, I say try them both and see because you can watch them at the same time. If you feel like it try the +6 version I posted and let me know your numbers please!
Yes I will try tomorrow. I don't drive the truck very much because I drive a company truck home, but will take it out tomorrow to check and let u know. I'm just tring to make sure if I have a SC ll problem or oil cooler problem. Don't want to go in deep if I don't have to. I've read a few post on here where they have done oil and egr coolers and getting same delta readings as before replacement.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:48 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
I just checked my temps after sitting for 4.5 hours. I had 82 coolant and 87 oil. So I guess they don't cool off equally as I had expected. Tranny was down to 77. It is about 54F outside here.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:03 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by 79 Stepside
Yes I will try tomorrow. I don't drive the truck very much because I drive a company truck home, but will take it out tomorrow to check and let u know. I'm just tring to make sure if I have a SC ll problem or oil cooler problem. Don't want to go in deep if I don't have to. I've read a few post on here where they have done oil and egr coolers and getting same delta readings as before replacement.

Its good to make shure the Gauges are reading right for shure

But in some of those cases where the oil cooler had been changed and the deltas remained the same could be a Coolant flow issue as in a BAD Water Pump,cavitated front cover. Hard to cool the oiol without any coolant flow. But from reading a Ton on here 9 times out of 10 a New Oil Cooler does the trick.

Just a Little Food for thought

Old 01-23-2012, 08:40 PM
79 Stepside
Junior User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Its good to make shure the Gauges are reading right for shure

But in some of those cases where the oil cooler had been changed and the deltas remained the same could be a Coolant flow issue as in a BAD Water Pump,cavitated front cover. Hard to cool the oiol without any coolant flow. But from reading a Ton on here 9 times out of 10 a New Oil Cooler does the trick.

Just a Little Food for thought
I understand I more than likley have a oil cooler issuse . You have been very helpful with my questions on this post along with the coolant flush proceedure. I 'm just making sure all of my ducks are in a row ,but seems they have gone south. Gonna be changing out the oil & egr coolers, standpipe & dummy plugs, stc up-grade, water pump, icp pigtail, exhaust manifold gaskets, possibly arp studs & oem head gaskets. This spring

Old 01-23-2012, 08:53 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
I just added the 6 to ECT now my brand new thermostat opens. Guess I didn't have to beat the **** out of my 05 EX trying to get the air out of my coolant system for days. Sorry to go off topic but could I ask what you guys have your "Cutoff" set at. I'm also trying to get my MPG to stop going to 9999 every time I let off the accelerator pedal. Thanks

Old 01-24-2012, 06:06 AM
rschwarzwalder
Freshman User
My cutoff is at the factory default and seems to be pretty accurate for when the truck cuts the fuel on deceleration. I'll check the actual value in a bit. Is your SG showing 9999 even on a partial throttle lift off?

Old 01-24-2012, 06:48 AM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rschwarzwalder
My cutoff is at the factory default and seems to be pretty accurate for when the truck cuts the fuel on deceleration. I'll check the actual value in a bit. Is your SG showing 9999 even on a partial throttle lift off?
Thanks for helping. It only goes to 9999 when I completely release the pedal.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:21 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
I would be surprised if you got any useful data from a laser gun on the outside.
Why not, Bill?

Quick Reply: SG II Accuracy?