Sponsored by:

Could this really work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:06 PM
ComputerCowboy
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Could this really work?

Check this supercharger thing out ELECTRIC TURBO POWER AIR INTAKE SUPERCHARGER KIT FORD

I was just browsing around on eBay and I stumbled on that... It kind of reminds me of that passive cyclone thing they had on TV 5 or 10 years ago that was supposed to make the gas and air mix better because of the spinning action...

Seriously though, could a cheap electric fan like this provide enough boost that it would make any real performance gain? Would this screw up the engine by making it run too lean? or would the air sensor thingy in the intake account for that?

I am not seriously considering it, seems like too cheap to be good or real. But then again just replacing the factory air box with a decent cold air intake does make an improvement on every vehicle I've ever had...

Old 01-16-2012, 06:12 PM
2002exPSD
Laughing Gas
I went to an automotive school and we tested out a bunch of those eBay cheap upgrades on cars on the dyno. The electric supercharger was one of them. It actually hurt performance. Both hp and torque went down.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:16 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Glad you are not considering it. These have been discussed on other forums for fuel economy and such. Disproven many times. If anything, it will restrict air flow unless that fan is pulling some serious amperage.

Electric turbo power air intake supercharger kit ford - 2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

I think a snorkel would work better for about the same money.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:17 PM
ComputerCowboy
Posting Guru
Good to know, like I said I wasn't seriously considering this thing, but I had to ask. If this really worked then everyone would have them. If it really worked manufacturers would put them on special models so they could advertise that it was supercharged.

EDIT: I guess I just have too much idle time on my hands while I wait for all the parts to be installed on my new truck. The lift kit won't be here till the last week in Jan or the first week in Feb, the truspeed is going to be here on Thursday and all the other stuff in my signature is going on this week. In the mean time at least I'll save a bunch of money on gas. (I traded my '97 F250HD CC 460ci for a 2002 Ford Focus for my girlfriend)

Old 01-16-2012, 06:55 PM
tims01
Elder User
hey i got some ocean front property to sell you in arizona lmao

Old 01-16-2012, 06:57 PM
ComputerCowboy
Posting Guru
Wink

Originally Posted by tims01
hey i got some ocean front property to sell you in arizona lmao
Hey take it easy on the Junior User, I am just excited. I think my parts selection thus far has been pretty good (see signature below).

Old 01-16-2012, 07:36 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If it sounds too good to be true....

it'd be nice if I could slip a magnetic collar on my fuel line to get 20% fuel savings, and slap an E supercharger on and get 25 hp, but sadly if those things worked they would be used by OEM's to get more efficient motors...

Old 01-16-2012, 07:43 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ComputerCowboy, Hate to break it to you but the CIA's dont do much on our V10's. The factory system gets plenty of air flow.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Yup, "most" of the time you get what you pay for. If it sounds like a super great deal it is normally garbage.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:04 PM
tims01
Elder User
lol just busting you're ***** a little

Old 01-17-2012, 02:36 PM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Here's the thing. The electric sc won't work because that wee little fan can't "force" air. it can only move air. To get any benefit you need to create pressure, so even if the fan could keep up to even move enough air through the intake, it would have to create pressure. Ie if you put your hand against it, it's going to force air to seep out the sides of your hands. However it probably can't even keep up witht he flow that the engines require, so the engine will be dragging air in witht he fan as a hinderance, and thus blocking airflow.

Think of it this way, if the thing spinning blowing air into a tube, can you put your hand over hte tube and stop the airflow? if so, it will be an obstruction, not a benefit.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:41 PM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
I just looked at the link. That little tincan fan blocks 60%+ of the surface area for air to travel. The engine is going to be sucking air in and tear that little fan off and suck it up the intake and blow up your motor.

To be fair, it has been done. On a small engine, the guy used 3 industrial blowers. They were powered by 12 massive battteries in the trunk. Here's a link:

Thomas Knight Turbo Electric Supercharger - Tech Review - Turbo Magazine

Old 01-17-2012, 02:58 PM
ComputerCowboy
Posting Guru
Interesting, I read up on that TKT system and it seems like it is designed for small cars but it would probably work just fine in a larger truck like the Excursion. The cool thing about the TKT system is that it is battery powered, so you can get boost when you need it without drawing directly from the engine, therefore there is not HP lose when engaged and it recharges while you are not using it.

At the bottom of the page it says they blew an engine with too much boost because they made it run too lean.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:05 PM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
It would absolutely not work on the excursion. small cars have an engine displaycement of 2-3liters. the excursion has a minimum of 6liters and has a TON more airflow requirements. look up the CFM, you will see.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:10 PM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Also, to lean = MAF isn't tracking air properly. They were moving more air than it could read most likely, or they didn't upgrade the injectors so that was the limting factor, or they didn't upgrade the fuel pump so that was hte limiting factor. You'd need double the blowers and double the batteries. Read up on what he spent on all that.

Quick Reply: Could this really work?