Sponsored by: Moser

Jacks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 02:16 PM
devino246
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
The factory jack was never capable of fitting under the I-beam with a fully deflated tire. That's why if you were to look at the "Jacking instructions" decal (usually inside the glovebox) it shows the jack placement under the radius arm, behind the I-beam.
Hmm, that's funny. Mine says differently

Old 01-16-2012, 02:53 PM
USArmyTaterness
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I plan on using a good ol' handy man stored either in a bracket I make or in a tool box.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:53 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
Wait and see what that jack does to your front bumper unless you hook it right where it bolts on......just saying.

I have seen my share of stuff tore up by one of those jacks improperly used, with the correct end piece on the jack body, they make a nice compression jack also.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:05 PM
WyoFlyFisher
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by USArmyTaterness
I plan on using a good ol' handy man stored either in a bracket I make or in a tool box.
Carried one in my '93 (and used it a time or 2) and have a new one in my '79. Used right there is no better jack.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 01-16-2012, 04:33 PM
USArmyTaterness
Posting Guru
So many uses as well. My wife's 76 when we put it in storage the only access we had to the place was a hole in a fence through an alley. We had to jack up the rear end and push the edge of the truck over moving it a foot at a time till we could roll it into it's final resting place.

Broke my eye bone when the handle snapped back but all in all it worked well.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by devino246
Hmm, that's funny. Mine says differently

The one inside the glovebox on my 80 F150 looks almost like that, except they updated the drawing to resemble the newer bodystyle.
The one inside dad's 74, shows the jack location being under the radius arm, after the tapered down area, close to the frame. Sorry, but I can't get the camera to take a pic. My Daughter has it with her.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:51 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Ouch....I have seen actual lifting/attachment points for that jack tongue made into bumpers and on rock sliders.

The tongue will fit right into the rear receiver hitch point, but talk about not the best way to lift the whole back end, good to take the weight off to re-bead a tire ect.....

Old 01-16-2012, 05:07 PM
USArmyTaterness
Posting Guru
Hmm Never was really into rock crawling myself but for the 74' Since I plan on keeping my heavy duty bumpers I was going to weld pads and attachment point to the frame So I can lift without warping body panels or putting undue stress on the bumpers.

the rear will be similar to this that is on my 93.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:30 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Ck out the brackets in the red/orange circles, pay no mind to the type of the vehicle and where it looks like it is. The date is messed up on the camera to.....

Make the brackets out of 3" channel or what ever fits the jack tongue the best and weld them tight, the back ones are connected to the receiver hitch.

I have maxed out a 48' high lift on those points, trying to get those 38's out of a mess. Not my favorite thing to do but.... you can rough up (weld puddles) the flat under edge to give the jack tongue something to bite into other than the end of the bracket.

Sorry the nerf bar/rock slider brackets was a later on project. A piece of 3" pipe works well there if you are adding it to a already attached set of rock sliders. Close to the front or back tire so you do not have a catch point to get you too hung up, or incorporate the hole inside the tube itself.

Attached Images   
Old 01-16-2012, 06:02 PM
USArmyTaterness
Posting Guru
That is much what I was thinking thank you.

Of course I am going to want to mount the jack in the bed so it is hidden but I like the channel

Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 PM
RunninD
Senior User
hi lift/ handy man/ jaw breaker. I've never had a problem with them. Except the one time when some felonious jerk swiped the jack. I had to limp it off the road block it with a ROCK and dig! where there's a will as they say. Fun hint for 4X4's, make a cup, that lifts the axle from the hub. ALWAYS block the axle up, so lifting from the hub doesn't cause problems or get in the way, and Nothing short of being hit by another vehicle will drop the truck on you. Just recently lost another guy, crushed by a truck. IT ONLY TAKES 5 MINUTES, SO IT'S NOT WORTH THE RISK!!!!!!!!

Old 01-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Paul49
Junior User
Handyman high lift farm jack. Been riding in the back of my various trucks for 25 years. A little oil dribbled on the mechanism keeps it working good, but even a few drops from the dipstick will work in a pinch. Never put your hand on the top end of a Handyman jack while you're using it. Once saw a guy get his hand pinched between the jack and the truck when the truck rolled. Good thing we were around to help him get loose. It would have been a long day for him otherwise. . .

Old 01-17-2012, 02:43 AM
USArmyTaterness
Posting Guru
Pheww sure it didn't look to pretty there paul.

My problem was when we were jacking the truck up it reached the point right about where it was supposed to tip I was giving it one more for luck but before the handle locked back up my buddy pushed the truck shifting the weight on the jack and it threw the handle back to my face broke that little bone on the side of my eye clear in half fun times.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:31 AM
OldStyle
Rusty Roller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gfw1985
I have most of these available but if I had to carry one just for "on-road" flat tires I like this one gfw1985 posted. Looks readily adjustable for height and stores without taking up as much space as even a small floor jack. And for 30 bucks... not bad!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:55 AM
WyoFlyFisher
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by USArmyTaterness
Hmm Never was really into rock crawling myself but for the 74' Since I plan on keeping my heavy duty bumpers I was going to weld pads and attachment point to the frame So I can lift without warping body panels or putting undue stress on the bumpers.

the rear will be similar to this that is on my 93.

Love the County 1 plates! I am in County 10. You from Wyoming, or OK?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Quick Reply: Jacks?