1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Chewing up belts, and new to the forums..HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I like the mount bracket being out of wack at speeds.
That might be the issue, I'll have to look into that tomorrow or saturday.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:51 PM
turbodremz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok just got done looking at the alignment marks on the tensioner, and checking the mounting bracket for the accessories on the driver side (a/c, ps pump, vac pump) for any missing bolts, cracks, damage, etc...and again, nothing.

But I did notice one thing. I can see the old wear marks from where the belt normally sits on the smooth pulley for the vacuum pump, and the belt isnt sitting in the same place, the pulley is about 1/8'' farther back according to the wear marks.

Now the only issue I see with that NOT causing the issue, is that according to belt rotation, it would start to go off route on the power steering pump before the water pump...correct? Or should I pull the vacuum pump and move the pulley forward 1/8''? Or shim the vacuum pump to move it forward?

Old 01-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
IIRC , the power steering pulley is pressed on too...I might not be on far enough...

Old 01-18-2012, 01:54 PM
turbodremz
New User
Originally Posted by Action4478
IIRC , the power steering pulley is pressed on too...I might not be on far enough...

Well the power steering pump has never been messed with, only the vacuum pump and a/c pulley. The thing is, they are all even when I checked them with the straight edge...

Old 01-20-2012, 10:41 AM
turbodremz
New User
Found the problem and I feel horribly ignorant simply cause I was looking at it the entire time. The vacuum pump pulley is installed back too far, not by much, but just enough to throw the belt off center as it rotates, causing it to go off center on the power steering pump, then the water pump.

So I gotta pull the vac pump, move the pulley about 1/8''-1/4'' forward and give it another shot. Hopefully it works, cause I have a potential buyer that is interested in it if I can solve the issue. I want to keep the truck, but with my up coming job I need something a bit more fuel friendly.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the update as I was wondering the outcome. Please post back when completed if the fix works or not as that is how we all learn.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:24 AM
turbodremz
New User
Will do. If it does work, I will still be scratching my head, cause the front of the pulley is still in-line with the others. But the back side of the pulley and the wear marks from where the belt normally rides is off. After spotting that, I let the truck idle, and noticed the belt would pull towards the engine very slightly. So tomorrow, going to go get the new belt, and adjust the vac pulley, and will post an update.

Thanks again to everyone that has chimed in, you guys have been a huge help over some other car forums that I have been on in the past.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:26 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Ok so here's the report, and its still a dead end.

All the pulley's are 8 rib and clean, and smooth surfaces are clean, no nicks or cracks/dings. Checked everything with a straight edge and a laser guide, and its all spot on. Absolutely zero play anywhere except the power steering pump with is a confirmed 1/8'' which after talking to the dealership is normal.

Again, belt runs great at idle. Put the truck under load in park (just a stationary rev of the engine) and I can see the back-side of the belt start to ride up the back lip of the water pump, and the back of the crank pulley, and thats it. It stays straight everywhere else. Again, there is zero play in the water pump/fan, no leak, and iirc its less than 4 yrs old, and the crank pulley/harmonic balancer is in good condition.

Also at idle, I checked each pulley to see if by any chance it was shifting/had any play, and nothing. The slight play in the power steering pump wasnt even noticeable at idle when turning the wheel.

So my options are to:

Replace the tensioner AGAIN
Replace both idler pulley's
Replace power steering pump even though nothing is wrong with it
Replace pulley on the brand new vacuum pump
Replace the belt again

OR

Just sell it and move on. Frankly Im tired of trying to source the problem, and I know its been a short ordeal, but I dont have time to deal with this. The truck runs like a champ with 325k miles, but being down every other week due to a belt is getting old and costly.

So anyone have any suggestions for me at this point? Cause Im regretting selling my 5.9 Durango at this point.
ok just got done looking at the alignment marks on the tensioner, and checking the mounting bracket for the accessories on the driver side (a/c, ps pump, vac pump) for any missing bolts, cracks, damage, etc...and again, nothing.

But I did notice one thing. I can see the old wear marks from where the belt normally sits on the smooth pulley for the vacuum pump, and the belt isnt sitting in the same place, the pulley is about 1/8'' farther back according to the wear marks.

Now the only issue I see with that NOT causing the issue, is that according to belt rotation, it would start to go off route on the power steering pump before the water pump...correct? Or should I pull the vacuum pump and move the pulley forward 1/8''? Or shim the vacuum pump to move it forward?
Found the problem and I feel horribly ignorant simply cause I was looking at it the entire time. The vacuum pump pulley is installed back too far, not by much, but just enough to throw the belt off center as it rotates, causing it to go off center on the power steering pump, then the water pump.

So I gotta pull the vac pump, move the pulley about 1/8''-1/4'' forward and give it another shot. Hopefully it works, cause I have a potential buyer that is interested in it if I can solve the issue. I want to keep the truck, but with my up coming job I need something a bit more fuel friendly.

As Jim said, let us know if that solves the problem. Sad to hear that you have to sale your truck.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:00 PM
coop589
New User
Well, how did you make out? I've been reading through some posts looking for a solution to a similiar situation I'm having. Curious how you made out.

-Glenn

Old 02-26-2020, 01:41 PM
pba369
5th Wheeling

Having issues with my 95 power stroke chewing up belts. Last rib closest to the block. Wish that guy woulda let us know something six years ago...

Old 02-27-2020, 07:03 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Check your belt tensioner to see if it hasn't shifted this is the first thing that lets go and causes belts to rip. Also a powersteering pump pulley if its not seated correctly.