Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear disk swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 04:33 PM
fosgate forever
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bootlegger's Deluxe
I've used them, it's nice. If you're using a FACTORY disc brake swap, get the prop valve from whatever the rear brakes came off of ... Aftermarket setups, use the adj prop valve ...
I use them even with factory swaps. I have 95 cobra brakes on both my foxes and still used the aftermarket ones. A wilwood on my race car and a summit on my street car. Its cheaper this route and you can adjust for your driving style, i like a little more rear bias, especially if towing.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:36 PM
fosgate forever
Senior User
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
I was giving the axle setup from a CV, as a better candidate.....Axle tubes, overall wdth of the axle should be close to a trucks'.....So it'd be a near bolt on deal....

I have no #'s to go on, besides the spline count, and the bolt patterns..
I'd see that as a downgrade with the diff. Same with the axle in the crown vic i'd want new seals and stuff so i'd prefer the explorer route. Its another good option though, would be worth looking into if the axles are the same length, my worry would be the axle mounted ABS sensors and losing the RABS setup in the truck Might cause it to act weird.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:48 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fosgate forever
I'd do the explorer swap just for the fact its OE parts, backing plates bolt right up. Ive often though about using the stuff from a 94+ mustang as well, not sure how the spacing would work though.
I'm pretty sure it's a smaller flange bolt pattern on the mustang then needed. They are smaller rotors as well.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:03 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I'd see that as a downgrade with the diff.
Ummm....How is that a downgrade? Same 8.8" setup, etc....Just with the 28 spline setup.....

As far as that goes....You could strip the differential and axles out, and use the trucks'....If the axle tubes were the correct length....Might even be a tad wider....Given the fact that the car has a wider track, than the trucks..

Otherwise...You've gotten a 8.8" setup, with factory rear disks....Again....just another viable option...Seeing as Explorers are a touch rarer than CV's...

Old 01-10-2012, 05:28 PM
fosgate forever
Senior User
Ummm....How is that a downgrade? Same 8.8" setup, etc....Just with the 28 spline setup.....

As far as that goes....You could strip the differential and axles out, and use the trucks'....If the axle tubes were the correct length....Might even be a tad wider....Given the fact that the car has a wider track, than the trucks..

Otherwise...You've gotten a 8.8" setup, with factory rear disks....Again....just another viable option...Seeing as Explorers are a touch rarer than CV's...
Two things break axles, weight and torque, both of which the truck has. I know i personally dont want to go to a 28sp axle when I already have the stuff from the explorer and can keep the stronger 31sp stuff. Especially when I have a pretty stout 306 going in.

But to put it somply, yes 31-28 is a down grade

Old 01-10-2012, 05:29 PM
fosgate forever
Senior User
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
I'm pretty sure it's a smaller flange bolt pattern on the mustang then needed. They are smaller rotors as well.
The cobra stuff is 11.65" might be enough, but then rest would take some figuring.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:46 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Two things break axles, weight and torque, both of which the truck has. I know i personally dont want to go to a 28sp axle when I already have the stuff from the explorer and can keep the stronger 31sp stuff. Especially when I have a pretty stout 306 going in.

But to put it somply, yes 31-28 is a down grade
It was a suggestion....And yes, I agree that going from 31-28 splines is a bad idea....Totally....

Old 01-10-2012, 05:52 PM
fosgate forever
Senior User
It was a suggestion....And yes, I agree that going from 31-28 splines is a bad idea....Totally....
That was just one of my first thoughts about the CV axle. Still seems the cheapest route is the explorer stuff. But if the CV worked it would be a quick solution if someone didnt mind about the spline issue

Old 01-10-2012, 06:01 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

That was just one of my first thoughts about the CV axle. Still seems the cheapest route is the explorer stuff. But if the CV worked it would be a quick solution is someone didnt mind about the spline issue
Well, my point was....If they have the truck axles, differential, etc...No harm, no foul.....See my point now? If they're gonna have everything off anyways.....

And like I said...CV's are a LOT more common than Explorers.....At least around here...

Old 01-10-2012, 09:32 PM
fosgate forever
Senior User
Well, my point was....If they have the truck axles, differential, etc...No harm, no foul.....See my point now? If they're gonna have everything off anyways.....

And like I said...CV's are a LOT more common than Explorers.....At least around here...
Funny, cause around here there are alot of explorers, and people are more concerned with robbing the GT40 stuff then the brakes, good luck finding a CV or a truck at the yard here. Which sucks cause i'd like to get the axles and have a spare set to mill before doing the swap

Old 01-10-2012, 09:43 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Funny, cause around here there are alot of explorers, and people are more concerned with robbing the GT40 stuff then the brakes, good luck finding a CV or a truck at the yard here. Which sucks cause i'd like to get the axles and have a spare set to mill before doing the swap
Around here, the general population snap up old police cars like hotcakes...

And there's 3 body shops that double as a yard for nothing BUT CV's....

So a CV, or parts is no biggie....

Old 01-10-2012, 09:53 PM
fosgate forever
Senior User
Around here, the general population snap up old police cars like hotcakes...

And there's 3 body shops that double as a yard for nothing BUT CV's....

So a CV, or parts is no biggie....
Yards around here are starting to dwindle with domestic stuff anyhow. I remember when I could go and scope out 50-60 foxes, good luck finding anything ford now. But the exploders are everywhere

Old 01-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
I wouldn't bother swapping the entire rear axle for a CV axle. He has a perfectly fine axle under his truck, and he's already made it clear about 8 posts up he just wants to swpa the brakes. If it were me, i'd nab a Vic axle OR a Explorer axle, whichever is cheaper and easier to find, take the brake setup and bolt it onto his axle he has, and redrill the rotors to the 5x5.5 bolt pattern. You guys are overcomplicating things. Swapping in the Vic axle would require adding leaf spring perches and shock mounts, and the Explorer rear axle is too dang narrow.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:10 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Bootlegger's Deluxe
I wouldn't bother swapping the entire rear axle for a CV axle. He has a perfectly fine axle under his truck, and he's already made it clear about 8 posts up he just wants to swpa the brakes. If it were me, i'd nab a Vic axle OR a Explorer axle, whichever is cheaper and easier to find, take the brake setup and bolt it onto his axle he has, and redrill the rotors to the 5x5.5 bolt pattern. You guys are overcomplicating things. Swapping in the Vic axle would require adding leaf spring perches and shock mounts, and the Explorer rear axle is too dang narrow.
Either way....I was simply throwing out the fact that the 1995 CV's used rear disks, and a 15" wheel...

Old 01-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Either way....I was simply throwing out the fact that the 1995 CV's used rear disks, and a 15" wheel...
They can they are the EXACT SAME setup as what Ford put on the Explorers!!

Quick Reply: Rear disk swap