1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Anafiel's Podunk Man-Cave Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:54 PM
jazz1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck finding materials for your roof,,I am always looking for used tin roofing for my wood sheds and never find any..I did come across a sign saying free wood last summer so I stopped in expecting some firewood,,,Got 15 sheets 3/8 plywood!
I do some painting in my garage so the woodstove is airtight, WETT certified and 18" off the ground,,totally up to snuff to keep my insurance company happy.I was out see a shop being built some years ago,,the guy used uniformed sized pallets to do all the walls of a 28x40 shop with 12' walls,just fastened them together,,now that was clever! Our company has 60 pallets a day sent to the front of yard for anyone to pickup free.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2283289...in/photostream

Old 02-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Making a little progress.

The goat shelter was up against the side of the lean-to, making it hard to get to that side to repair it, so I opened up 1-1/2 acres on the side of our property where there was another shelter and moved them there. Had to run a couple hundred feet of new fence and posts, but the goats are happy to have new fodder.

Cleaned up a bit behind the cave, and loaded up the truck for another run to the dump.

Materials are slow coming, but look what I got this morning! 10 lightly used rafters!!! They are all completely solid. The pics show mud where they were laying on the ground, but there is absolutely no damage. Got 5 of each, same rise.

Do I see another building in the making? Maybe I can convince my wife into letting me build her a "Garden Shed", buy a little extra materials, and use the leftovers for my cave...

How deep of a shed can I build with 5 sets of rafters like this? Looks like I can get 10-11' wide, but how much cheating can I do with it's depth with only 5 sets like you see here?

Also got some good solid scrap, useful maybe for gable end studs and collar ties?

Attached Images      
Old 02-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Good work, and lots thereof. Moving the goats and carrying off the junk was an exercise, but well worth it I'm sure.

On the truss situation, while I'm in no way qualified to answer as I've never used corrugated roofing - which is what I'm guessing you are planning. What span is in your buildings at present?

Old 02-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Good work, and lots thereof. Moving the goats and carrying off the junk was an exercise, but well worth it I'm sure.

On the truss situation, while I'm in no way qualified to answer as I've never used corrugated roofing - which is what I'm guessing you are planning. What span is in your buildings at present?
Easy on the terminology there... Span? The cave has a lean-to roof.

If I use the trusses to start a new building, I'll just cover it with OSB or plywood and paint it until I can find/buy some shingle for it.

I don't think I've ever posted the dimensions of the cave yet. Let me go measure it now...

Old 02-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Cave is 11x18. 8.5' on the tall side, 6' on the short side.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Forget "span" as what you have isn't what you are going to do. You have corrugated and are going to OSB and shingles. Given that, I'd say the most you can go to w/o sagging is 24", assuming you are using 1/2" OSB.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Forget "span" as what you have isn't what you are going to do. You have corrugated and are going to OSB and shingles. Given that, I'd say the most you can go to w/o sagging is 24", assuming you are using 1/2" OSB.
Ok, maybe I've just having a bad hair day or something..

The cave is bigger now than whatever I could build with those trusses. I want to continue to go the cave route and continue on to repair it.

I was just wondering what size building I could get away with with those trusses. Some kind of garden shed for my wife's tools and light storage...can never have too much storage. (Good for truck hoods and fenders )

Old 02-22-2012, 01:16 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The truss looks the same, just that 5 have a rafter tail and 5 don't.

At 2' O.C. you could only make a shed 8' deep.
Good score!

Old 02-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Well spotted, Jim. Didn't see the tails, or the lack thereof. And, 8' is the depth you should go with just those trusses. As said earlier, any more and you will have sagging. In fact, you may have some at 2', but since it is a shed it shouldn't be that big of an issue. Or, go with thicker OSB.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:34 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Lightbulb

At 2" O.C., go with Tongue & Groove OSB so the edges are supported as well.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
8x10 it is then.

My wife is excited about having her own shed. Maybe I can use that to my advantage...!!

Thanks guys

Old 02-22-2012, 05:36 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Shingles are going to cost a fortune. What you need to do is put the trusses up maybe 4' apart. Then make a run of 2x4's about 24" going across the trusses. Then attach tin panels to the 2x4's. After that you can take 1 or 2 pieces of the tin running them logways for a ridge cap.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:26 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

There's no way a shallow, halved, 2x4 truss is going to support 4' OC Bruno.
Maybe you never get hail, rain or snow there in Oklahoma.
But a 24' long 2x4 is nothing more than a wet noodle.

You'd only need 1 square of asphalt shingles to cover 80 square feet (8x10) ,$50 ??? plus ridge and starters...

Old 02-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
There's no way a shallow, halved, 2x4 truss is going to support 4' OC Bruno.
Maybe you never get hail, rain or snow there in Oklahoma.
But a 24' long 2x4 is nothing more than a wet noodle.

You'd only need 1 square of asphalt shingles to cover 80 square feet (8x10) ,$50 ??? plus ridge and starters...
True, I guess, if I went the shingle route, but Bruno was suggesting that if I went corrugated, I could go 4' OC on the trusses with 2x4 braces between them to support the metal.

30ga utility corrugated wouldn't stress the roof much, right? We never get much more than 1-2" of snow, if ever. Or am I asking for trouble with a gauge that light??

Would the braces between the trusses hold it up under conditions like that? Surly though, I don't want the thing to fall on my noggin during a heavy rain...

Just asking... I don't know these things.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:33 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is a good question. I have stood on 8'-2"x4"'s laying flat and they hold my 260lb butt. So if they were strong side up like your trusses will be then I would imagine it could hold quite a bit of weight. You culd space them in closer if you are worried about it. I would think by the time you bought roof decking, felt paper, shingles and nails it would cost more than some 2x4's,roof pans and some nails with washers.

Too bad you arent a lot closer to here. I have a buddy that has a big sheet metal shop. Anytime I need some metal roofing material I just go get it out of his scrap pile. Sometimes it is shorter than what I need or multiple colors. However, you can use short panels you just have to overlap them correctly. Different colors are easily remedied with some cheap paint.

Quick Reply: Anafiel's Podunk Man-Cave Project