Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project TGM

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts
No joke, I thought about a used Prius, ~50 mpg would be crazy. Lol but I wouldn't know what to do with all that extra gas money, So I figure I better stick to old Fords.

I just need something to get better gas mileage then the 68 Mustang i currently drive to work everyday, shouldn't be too hard to find

Old 08-09-2013, 02:23 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ha, TNT... Need something a little strong than that bud .

Having 2 project cars with no full time job and no stable vehicle to drive isn't exactly smart but I couldn't resist! I got the thing for $575 including the PO towing it to my house for me. Threw on some tires, adjusted the valves and changed the oil and it was drivable. Not far but it ran.

I haven't updated this in a while so why not. Recently I haven't been driving TGM due to a pretty nasty brake fluid leak. It seems to be coming from the Proportioning valve. I need to pull it off and take it apart to see what I need to do. I've just been a bit occupied lately. Other than that it is doing ok. Although... As embarrassing as it is to admit, lately (last few months) I've actually been afraid of driving it on the freeway. It appears I did post here about the freeway tire incident.. It may not seem like a big thing to most people but it really shook me up and seeing the truck in that state has made me afraid to really drive it on the freeway . I think I'll get over it but as of now, every time I cruise at 60, I'll hear things or feel things in the truck that scare me. It gets to the point where I'm on edge and concentrating more on what the truck is doing than the radio or even traffic some times...

I hate it, I love driving the bronco and hearing the exhaust and having fun with it but to be scared of it? I don't get what happened... In any case, once the brakes are fixed and working like they need to be, I can look more into some of the shakes I feel. I'm 50% sure it's the road and 49% sure it's my mind telling me things. That last 1% is whatever is wrong with the wheels. I know 1 rear axle has a very small amount of play and I intend to get the bearing replaced once I can afford it of course... I don't know, maybe I'm crazy

Old 08-09-2013, 10:14 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
When my fuel tank selector valve failed on me, I was that way about driving my truck for a long time.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:08 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
When my fuel tank selector valve failed on me, I was that way about driving my truck for a long time.
I don't mind running out of gas or it breaking down, I just don't like the idea of the tires possibly falling off. That is what scares me. Sure I was worried for my own saftey but more so, I've got 100+ lb tires followed by those brake drums bouncing down the road... It could do some serious damage, not only would I not be able to afford the repairs but I'd also feel terrible for whoever they hit. Luckily the time it happened, somehow it skipped past all the morning traffic and stayed on the median.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:41 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Guess I should dig this back up . Well lately, my brakes have been causing grief by leaking and causing me to lose my rear brakes. Fronts still work fine and it just causes me to start slowing down soon, no biggie. But, I need to fix it. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the Pressure warning sensor so if I can pick one up for cheap and it fixes this problem, I'll be pretty happy. It's hard to be optimistic about it though. I just have a feeling that it's going to be worse than just this.

Anyways, so that's what's happening as of late. I also tried to cook a can of green beans on the exhaust manifold for ish and giggles but it didn't work like I hoped. The greenbeans were kinda soggy already and the can fell over draining some of the water. They also didn't get as hot as I hoped, they were warm though. I think maybe a hotdog in tinfoil would work much better, and if I was driving rather than letting it idle. But it was fun and only cost me $.99 for the green beans and however much in gas.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:57 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
$.99 and $4.82 in gas?

Old 08-27-2013, 07:13 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
It was probably upwards of $6 or something hehe.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:14 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Well in about a month it will be TGM's 2 year anniversary with me. And as a present, I might just get these headers put on. Maybe. I'm probably going to be starting a new night shift stocking job so that will cut into my time wrenching on stuff. But once I get use to my sleep schedule I think things will smooth out and I'll find time to work on stuff.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:41 AM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
Well in about a month it will be TGM's 2 year anniversary with me. And as a present, I might just get these headers put on. Maybe. I'm probably going to be starting a new night shift stocking job so that will cut into my time wrenching on stuff. But once I get use to my sleep schedule I think things will smooth out and I'll find time to work on stuff.
Putting headers on 78 and 79 Broncos are pretty easy and goes quick. Spray your manifold bolts 2-3 times prior to starting and let it sit for about 24 hours. It helps a lot! Maybe upgrade your header bolts to ARP or Stage 8 Fasteners with the locks. The bolts that come with the headers are OK, but it doesn't hurt to upgrade. Unless you're doing fenderwell headers, it goes pretty quick. I had fenderwell headers with spiral core race mufflers and turn downs on my "big" motor Bronco. Sounded absolutely ANGRY!!

Old 09-30-2013, 12:21 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I looked for ARP ones to order or something but I have no idea where to start. There was only some rod bolts or something. I figured I'd use the ones that came with them until the need replacing or until I get ARP. I also will probably use the normal gasket instead of the thicker race gaskets that people have recommended. I've never done headers but I figure they won't be terribly difficult. They are Hooker headers, I'm not sure if they are shorties or fender exit or what. Summit didn't say anything about it.

I'll figure out the details when I put them in, I was told about soaking the bolts in something like Deep Creep or another bolt breaker, I started spraying them till work got in the way and the swap was canceled. My big issue is I have nothing to go behind them. I've got mufflers and no piping so it would be open headers for a bit. I have some like, 3" collectors or something but no pipe to fit. This time around, I'll put them on and figure something else out after they are on. If my neighbors complain I'll just push harder on the gas pedal and tune them out.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:36 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Haven't ya tried the Acetone and ATF 50/50 mix yet?
Ya will never go back to off the self Panther ****.
And it's cheap as well.
But with heater bolts I heat them HOT with a bottle torch than force candle wax
into the threads. Now that is very old school.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:09 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
When I took my manifolds off all of the bolts came right out with the twist of a wrench lol.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:22 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I haven't tried the ATF trick, I haven't used up my current stuff. No reason to waste it and make more. What does the wax do? I woulda thought it would evaporate since the bolts and everything get so hot. I'm not too worried about it right now. Once I start work on them is when I'll worry about it.

Sent from my HTC One S using IB AutoGroup

Old 11-13-2013, 05:14 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
It's been a little while since my last update but my exhaust is finally done and it sounds pretty awesome. My headers turned out to be the wrong ones so they aren't on, I've got the stock manifolds on still. I'll get a link for the video later. It cost $700 to go from the manifolds to behind the rear tires. That's using the mufflers I got on Summit. They were cheap but until I've saved some cash and fixed a few things, these will work.

It's 2.5" true duals with the pipe stretched to 3" in and out on both mufflers, then back to 2.5 to the back. All the hangers are welded on and everything is tucked up into the frame so it won't get banged up while offroading. They did awesome work.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:35 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Who did you take it to for the exhaust system work?

Quick Reply: Project TGM