Sponsored by:

Project TGM

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 01:14 AM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
Haha wow i have no idea what's going on there. Maybe it's just spam or something. Anyway Matt, is this the first time recently that you have had this low of MPG?

Also so you know, me and a few WAFTE members are meeting on the 14th which is a friday at around 6pm, and we are meeting at a Round Table joint in Renton. The address is over in the meet thread. So far me and 2 other people plan to go, then one other guy will probably try to make it. If you don't have anything to do and are able to make it you should try. I don't know if you have your lisence yet or not.

I would offer the same thing to you 1ton but NJ is a bit far from washington You could still drive over here and meet if you would like to
Wish i had a license..

i forgot the last post..

Old 12-11-2012, 09:41 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
So i got a question. With a carbureted engine, what can i do to get it o run better when it's cold? Is that part of the electronic choke mech or is it within the idle settings? Whenever i start TGM up i have to hold the gas to keep it running otherwise it will die. I remember the same issue with my carbed 82 mustang but my step dad fixed it. I could ask him but i figured i would try my hand at doing it myself before asking him for help. The electric choke spring i have is pretty old and i ment to replace it when i put the 4bbl on but didn't get around to it. Would that small piece really make such a difference?

Old 12-11-2012, 10:40 PM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
So i got a question. With a carbureted engine, what can i do to get it o run better when it's cold? Is that part of the electronic choke mech or is it within the idle settings? Whenever i start TGM up i have to hold the gas to keep it running otherwise it will die. I remember the same issue with my carbed 82 mustang but my step dad fixed it. I could ask him but i figured i would try my hand at doing it myself before asking him for help. The electric choke spring i have is pretty old and i ment to replace it when i put the 4bbl on but didn't get around to it. Would that small piece really make such a difference?
i always thought it would be timing and air to fuel..

Old 12-11-2012, 10:41 PM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
i never used the choke on my 223.. 2 pedal pumps and she fires right up in snow..
just dont give er gas till shes warm

Old 12-12-2012, 01:30 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
My truck would do that if there wasn't enough choke. Take the air cleaner off and pull the throttle back enough to make the choke close, then rotate the choke housing until it just closes. Then try it. But when I did that on my truck for months it would be way too much choke so I had to bend the rod that goes from the choke to the housing a little bit, at the vertical part of the bend in the rod I had to bend it slightly to the front of the truck a little bit. Trial and error crap I hate mine lol.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:26 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I was thinking timing and fuel/air but then it would run with advanced timing and rich mixture all the time. I also need to give it more than a few pumps to prime it. That might be caused by a dirty fuel filter though.

I could try the choke thing, but I would like to not have bend up any rods. I guess I will buy a filter and a new choke spring. On my old mustang I would floor the pedal to prime it and that would set the choke to run for cold weather till I stabbed at the throttle again. I don't remember how it was set up though.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:16 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Well its 4:06 am and I figured out the problem... The linkage going from the choke spring to the choke lever is too short. I unhooked it and ran the engine by manually adjusting the choke and it stayed running and sounded normal in the RPM area till I opened it too much. tomorrow I am planning a trip to AutoZone to see if they would happen to have any linkage packs or anything. Other wise I might have to make one out of a big paper clip till I find something else. at least now I know what it is, I also found a vacuum port on the top of my carb that has no vacuum on it. it had an old cap that broke and I wanted to see if it had vacuum that was causing issues, guess not.

In other news I also need to hook up the vacuum on the thermostat housing for the choke since I now notice what it does and that it is quite important. Anyone know where to hook the hose too?? I have a port on the intake and on tha carb but I don't know it that's too strong.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:34 AM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
Well its 4:06 am and I figured out the problem... The linkage going from the choke spring to the choke lever is too short. I unhooked it and ran the engine by manually adjusting the choke and it stayed running and sounded normal in the RPM area till I opened it too much. tomorrow I am planning a trip to AutoZone to see if they would happen to have any linkage packs or anything. Other wise I might have to make one out of a big paper clip till I find something else. at least now I know what it is, I also found a vacuum port on the top of my carb that has no vacuum on it. it had an old cap that broke and I wanted to see if it had vacuum that was causing issues, guess not.

In other news I also need to hook up the vacuum on the thermostat housing for the choke since I now notice what it does and that it is quite important. Anyone know where to hook the hose too?? I have a port on the intake and on tha carb but I don't know it that's too strong.
all i remember having on my 71 was the vacuum advance to the distributor.. but i cant think of anything else... i remember having 2 vacuum hoses on my 76 f100.. but i cant remember where they go.. i know what your talking about.. atleast i have an idea of it

Old 12-12-2012, 08:29 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Yeah, i might just try to hook it up to the carb on the second small port and see what happens. I can run the engine with the little thermo spring off and if the suction is too much then i can figure something out. Though since it is small ports and the hose i need is small it shouldn't be a big issue. Sometimes i wish i had a manual choke though.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:26 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love the manual choke on my Edelbrock. Are you sure that is not the vent for the fuel bowl on top the carb with a plug on it?

Old 12-12-2012, 10:56 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by arctic y block
I love the manual choke on my Edelbrock. Are you sure that is not the vent for the fuel bowl on top the carb with a plug on it?
I don't really know what it is, it almost looks like another spout for a fuel inlet. Maybe a breather? I can get a picture next time i am digging around under there.

I stopped by Autozone today, turns out they are not the best for carburetor stuff. The guy kind of knew what i was talking about and was able to find them in their system but they had none of it on the shelf and it was all special order so we couldn't match them. Unfortunately it started raining as i drove home from my work so i wasn't able to bring in an example. Tomorrow if it isn't raining i will probably pull mine off and go to either Napa or Orielly's. Shoot i'll just drive the bronco up there with if off, it isn't like it is doing anything right now.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:23 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Do you have any pictures of the rod that's too short? you can bend them lol. I bent mine so it's shorter.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:34 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just buy a manual choke kit. It works great. Just remember to push it all the way in after it warms up or ya may blast right through an intersection with the front brakes locked up on ice. Ask me how I know this.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:59 PM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
Do you have any pictures of the rod that's too short? you can bend them lol. I bent mine so it's shorter.
thats what she said..

Old 12-12-2012, 05:00 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 1_ton_bronco
thats what she said..
I knew someone was going to say that haha

Quick Reply: Project TGM