General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 02:35 PM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BassFantasizer
The math is all different when comparing an object's resistance to denting (not a failure, per se) and its deflection properties.

It's easy to see using glass as an example. Using a glass rod about 3' long by 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide, you can bend the rod slightly without breaking it. (In fact, when the deflecting force is removed, the glass will return nearly 100% to its original shape.) But you can't dent glass. Period.

I'm with you on wanting to know more about this though. It does have possibilities.

The Saturn line of vehicles had some of the worst designs and fits. But the body material seemed to be a huge step up over steel. I wonder why that didn't catch on???
You're right. Bending and denting would have to do with the yield strength. The yield strength of steel is usually much lower than the ultimate strength which is why it bends relatively easily. Aluminum's yield strength is usually closer to its ultimate strength. So an aluminum sheet with the same ultimate strength as a steel sheet should have a higher resistance to denting.

What did Saturn use on their bodies? I didn't know they were anything other than steel.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:48 PM
nitrogen
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts
You never saw one of those saturn no dent commercials? All plastic body panels.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:59 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by nitrogen

With a metal structure behind it.

When the saturns were new to the world yet our local tech school had one that was "windowed" (cut open) along side a brand new chevy vortec van that was dismantled and some other white car next to that that was cut in half. Then they had a 80's nissan truck that the body was taken off of and just the seat, pedals, and steering shaft were put back so "instructors AND students could slowly ride around in the parking lot and see how stuff works". That thing was raced and did burnouts all the time! The instructor told us a story of some kids that once took out some van and the nissan, lined up, and proceeded to race right past the deans office window.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:15 PM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nitrogen
Youtube reminded me. I forgot all about those. After all, Saturn made pretty forgettable cars.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:17 PM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,679 Likes on 2,606 Posts
Originally Posted by grasfarmr73
You're right. Bending and denting would have to do with the yield strength. The yield strength of steel is usually much lower than the ultimate strength which is why it bends relatively easily. Aluminum's yield strength is usually closer to its ultimate strength. So an aluminum sheet with the same ultimate strength as a steel sheet should have a higher resistance to denting.

What did Saturn use on their bodies? I didn't know they were anything other than steel.

Before we knew what a POS the Saturn was, my wife looked at buying one of them. We were looking at one on the car lot when a salesman showed up and began talking about the superior materials in the body. His claim that the panels were nearly indestructible drew a cynical reply from me. So without another word he leaned over and grabbed the right front quarter panel for support and proceeded to kick the ever loving crap out of the white door on the adjacent vehicle. Not a scratch.....

It's too bad the engineering in them was inferior....

Old 06-06-2014, 04:10 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
chevy and gmc pickups use plastic rear fenders too. not sure about the front fenders, but i know the rears are, my neighbor has replaced both rears on his truck 3 times already.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was looking for a cheap car for my son, my friend said I should get a Saturn like his son's. I ended up getting a Neon with low miles and a burned valve for $100. Well I fixed the Neon and it lasted another year before it got a bottom end knock, but it lasted longer than my friends Saturn!!

Old 06-06-2014, 04:50 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Photos of “The Longest Day”

D-Day!!

One of my home town (close anyway) boys interview.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local...7a43b2370.html

Old 06-06-2014, 06:52 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
The problem with aluminum is going to be it's more costly to repair. You won't get the soft dents we're used to seeing with the paper thin sheet metal. You'll get hard creases, corners and tears.

Of course you also won't see the body of your truck wiggle if you drive through a car wash because the air being blown across the vehicle to dry it off is strong enough to deflect the "steel" body. (I haven't personally seen this happen, but have talked to owners of the new 6.7 super duty who have all noticed this)

Old 06-06-2014, 07:09 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have it on good authority that dent repair in the new aluminum F-150s will take 2½ times the hours that the steel bodies require.
We sent a body man to school this week for training to work the aluminum.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:11 PM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,679 Likes on 2,606 Posts
Originally Posted by shorebird
I have it on good authority that dent repair in the new aluminum F-150s will take 2½ times the hours that the steel bodies require.
We sent a body man to school this week for training to work the aluminum.

Sounds like there will be a lot more quarter panels installed...

Old 06-06-2014, 09:19 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by BassFantasizer
Sounds like there will be a lot more quarter panels installed...
My cousin has a Disco that's 20 years old all aluminum body.

BTW it has over 300k and looks very good, no rust for sure haha. It does have a dent on the hood like someone left a wrench in there and slammed the hood on it, but for a '95 with 300k.... Damn good.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:37 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
there is no patching that siding.
with as much damage as it has, it will all need to be replaced.
Come on Tom, it'll buff out!

Old 06-06-2014, 09:41 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Aluminum is hard to repair because it stretches. It's a lot quicker to just replace. Steel by comparison is pretty easy to fix.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:48 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmatthews
My cousin has a Disco that's 20 years old all aluminum body.

BTW it has over 300k and looks very good, no rust for sure haha. It does have a dent on the hood like someone left a wrench in there and slammed the hood on it, but for a '95 with 300k.... Damn good.
My '91 Range Rover has 250K on it. I've done a little body work on some of the aluminum panels and found it remarkably easy to work. Not so much on my '61 Land Rover, the aluminum panels on that are considerably thicker. Oh, and in keeping with the pics theme...

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Pics or it didn't happen!