EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Another Ecoboost failure story

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 07:10 PM
jeffdoerr
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
my truck also did the bogging down, sputter, backfire pop type of thing. One time. It was bad, check engine light came on, but then cleared up in a mile or so and has never done it since. Took to the dealer, and no code was found, but this was the same dealer that did nothing about my brakes. So far so good, but my mileage sucks. i drive it like an old man and barely get 17, usually 16.5-16.8

Really disappointed with mileage. The v8 F150 i drive for work gets 18 and didnt cost a premium for the EB option.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It could be the condensation settling in the bottom of the intercooler that has been talked about. I wonder if a larger intercooler that has both the inlet and outlet pipes at the top wouldn't solve the problem.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:35 AM
al704
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here's my failure story

While pulling a trailer from Pa to Fl, cruising at 70mph pushed pedal to the floor to pass and the engine lost power and wouldn't maintain speed. Left off the pedal and the truck felt was going over rumble strips for several seconds and then smoothed out and ran fine, this happend 4 times in 2300 miles. The last time the check engine light flashed and than stayed on, called my dealer from the road and made an appointment so I could drop it off as as soon as I returned home. The left catalytic converter was plugged. My question to the service manager was..... the truck has 3500 miles on it so there must be something going on that caused it to plug up in such a short amount of time. His reply was....I thought it was odd too!!! So off I go with a new cat wondering if it is going to happen again of if the right cat will go next. WTF

Old 04-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Bat-Masterson
Junior User

I took mine in today, and I have a great dealer was not there more then 5 mintes and the mechanic came and got me and said lets go for a ride, he already had the computer hooked up to the truck and off we went.
We drove 50 miles trying to make it bog down, bet we tried 50 times. I told him it only did it a few times to me, but since it did not throw a code not much he could do and since he only gets paid finding something wrong he was trying very hard.
When we got back and he hooked back to the internet there was one calibration upgrade so he downloaded it to my truck, truck runs great and gets great mileage so until it throws a code and it might not do it again I am not worrying about it.

He did tell me if I happen to touch the brake will pressing on the gas peddle it will stop the truck from accelerating, I know when I had this problem i was not touching the brake peddle, but on the way home today from the dealer I tried it and it does I was accelerating and I just touched the brake a little and the truck started to slow down quick with no accelerating at all even that I was still pressing the gas.
What are the old people going to that ride the brake and the gas at the same time.

Just a update after they flashed my truck and I went home and since they have to to it with the keys on and the truck not running, it looks like my battery lost it charge and now every time I start it it says low battery and every time I shut it off it says on the radio shutting off to save battery.
they told me to bring it back Sat and they would see if the Flash did something or if I need a new battery

Old 04-23-2012, 09:31 AM
redford
Received 1,596 Likes on 933 Posts
Originally Posted by al704
While pulling a trailer from Pa to Fl, cruising at 70mph pushed pedal to the floor to pass and the engine lost power and wouldn't maintain speed. Left off the pedal and the truck felt was going over rumble strips for several seconds and then smoothed out and ran fine, this happend 4 times in 2300 miles. The last time the check engine light flashed and than stayed on, called my dealer from the road and made an appointment so I could drop it off as as soon as I returned home. The left catalytic converter was plugged. My question to the service manager was..... the truck has 3500 miles on it so there must be something going on that caused it to plug up in such a short amount of time. His reply was....I thought it was odd too!!! So off I go with a new cat wondering if it is going to happen again of if the right cat will go next. WTF
Might just be a batch of bad converters.

A few years back I used to drive a 1995 F-150. It developed a problem just like this. Would idle perfect, cruise around town just fine, but any time I had to lean into the throttle (like entering a freeway or climbing a hill) it would slow down. The more you pushed down on the throttle, the slower it would go, plus it would shudder, buck, pop, snort and shimmy.

I replaced every sensor I could think of. I took it to the dealer 4 times hoping they had an answer. No codes were ever recorded. On the 5th trip to the dealer, a technician (acting on a hunch) unbolted the exhaust in front of the catalytic converter and went for a drive. All of the lost power was suddenly restored.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:47 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My MKT has stuttered a couple of times but, cleared its throat and mved out.

I just did a day trip to Houston and back today. Over 525 miles round trip in a couple of spots I had the opportunity to "hit it" at high speed (there apparently is no speed limiter on the MKT). The "girls" took a deep breath....then it was like hitting warp speed. No hesitation from 80 to 110.

I am a product of the muscle car era and this sweet heart is the fastest most responsive vehicle I have ever owned.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:38 PM
DutchmanAZ
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Any update on this? Curious if the OP's problem was solved?

Old 06-18-2012, 03:01 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
My friend's truck (2012) is still acting up once in a while. Mileage still sucks. Dealership has not heard from Ford on a fix.

Pap

Old 06-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Techman100
New User
I had the exact same experience as al740 except I was not towing anything. After the episode nothing happened for a couple of months. Then the Check Engine light came on and I took it in. The codes said that the left catalytic converter was bad. Turns out Ford has a service doc out for these. Anyway, I'm picking it up from the dealer today. We'll see how it runs now.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:47 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
For what it is worth. Back in 93 I bought a new Ranger 4x4 4.0/Automatic. I was driving it into Reno I had about 1500 miles on it. It threw a CEL. When I got home I took it into my dealer. He ran codes, I don't remember what they were, but what I do remember was he told me that I should run Chevron gas every so often. So I did & I never had another issue. Now I know some of you are thinking I'm crazy your half right. But back in those days Techron was only available by buying Chevron gas. My other point is that today's gas & gas stations is even worse than back then. Everybody is trying to squeeze every penny from everything. I'm pretty sure a fair amount of watering etc goes on.
The major oil companies are safer in my mind than the corner cut rate station. Certainly more to loose.
So my suggestion is try running a major brand gas every so often & see if that helps. What is there to loose trying?
Craig

Old 06-26-2012, 06:03 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
On my gas rigs, I always had better mileage from Chevron or Exxon than any other brands. May be some more expensive, but they seem to be a little better. I also use SeaFoam ever so often as well. Never did those dealer or oil/change injector cleaning deals, just SeaFoam every 20k or so and fuel filter changes on the same aniversary.

Pap

Old 06-26-2012, 06:59 PM
G_VeloxonSPI
New User
a gentle reminder

Is it possible that the engine was built on a friday afternoon when its almost "miller time",,,"giterdoneboys!", or perhaps a monday ...."Daiiam im tired and i dont wanna do nothin today hehehe" , whatever the case , Ford will eventually stand by you and >>>"GITERDONE!!!" iM NOT HAPPY THAT YOUR DEALIN WITH THIS , ITS MAKIN ME THINK TWICE ABOUT AN UPGRADE SOON , but , IM still gonna find a good ford for a good price ...BOTTOM LINE . iM ACTUALLY THINKIN 5.0 .....ANY IDEAS ???

Old 06-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
I was thinking 5.0L as well at replacement time. They can't be had with the max payload package, but still can be ordered with max tow package. I can do my own max payload, at least close to it. Rear springs are the area of most concern to me. The main reason I was considering 5.0L is that fuel mileage might be a little better while towing than EcoBoost.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:14 PM
wanderingrichard
New User
Originally Posted by DutchmanAZ
Any update on this? Curious if the OP's problem was solved?

not sure. after this, i'm keeping my Y2K 4.2l XL a while longer though.

[thanks to some of the older more tech savvy posters here i think i found a fix for its hatred of ethanol.]

Old 07-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Evan92
Senior User
Originally Posted by Greg B
I was thinking 5.0L as well at replacement time. They can't be had with the max payload package, but still can be ordered with max tow package. I can do my own max payload, at least close to it. Rear springs are the area of most concern to me. The main reason I was considering 5.0L is that fuel mileage might be a little better while towing than EcoBoost.
You have it backwards. You can get max payload with the 5.0L, just not the Max Tow.

Quick Reply: Another Ecoboost failure story