6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

My ultra low budget 6.0 coolant filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 07:52 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My ultra low budget 6.0 coolant filter

This happened by accident. I generally avoid walmart like the plague but I had to go there to get a Christmas gift for my son. While I was there i stumbled into the filter section and the light came on. So I'm out about $50 bucks give or take.

I really don't want to take the time to cut my filter open so this instantly fixes that issue. It has a valve built in so it fixes that issue as well. The filters can be obtained for about $2.50 ea so I can change it one a week if I want.

This might not fit if you have a hood liner.

If anyone is thinking of trying this you must use silicone grease on the filter o-ring as it's really designed for higher pressure. Also plenty of teflon tape on the fittings. I had leaks the first try using pipe dope. It doesn't leak now. Cheers

Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Interesting for shure

I do like the see thru design

and how could you beat filters for 2.50$$

my only ???? is will it take the heat

Old 12-30-2011, 08:28 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

What type of filter is that and what is its normal use.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:40 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Time will tell us about the heat factor. The filter is a 20 micron whole house filter sold in a 2 pack. This filter housing came with a upgraded carbon filter. Don't use it unless some more knowledgeable than me knows it's safe to do so.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:54 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Yea i would watch that thing closely , what Benny said about the heat. The paper inside don't want it coming apart and going though your cooling system and then not making it though the oil cooler. By the way did you look on the instructions and see if it can be hooked up to the hot water heater or just on cold side, that might give you some insite on its hot water ability .

Old 12-30-2011, 09:30 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
It a cold water filter. I just went and checked the media of a used filter cartridge I had in the garage. It's not plain old paper. It's some kind of plastic or resin fabric. Very tough, I couldn't tear it by hand. I'm going to watch it very closely.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:41 PM
tntlogging
New User
Not sure about psd engines but cat coolant filters are as much about preventing electrolysis on the cooling side with magnesiem in the filters as filtering stuff out of the coolant. Not positive about that though, i run 5 big trucks and thats the main reason for coolant filters is to slow down the electrolysis that eats through the block of the engine

Old 12-30-2011, 09:46 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tntlogging
Not sure about psd engines but cat coolant filters are as much about preventing electrolysis on the cooling side with magnesiem in the filters as filtering stuff out of the coolant. Not positive about that though, i run 5 big trucks and thats the main reason for coolant filters is to slow down the electrolysis that eats through the block of the engine
Interesting, I haven't read anything about electrolysis problems in the 6.0.
I do have a super magnet taped onto the bottom of the lower radiator hose though.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:51 PM
tntlogging
New User
Yeah i havent heard anything about the 6.0 either but i do know thats the main reason for coolant filtration on any diesel engine

Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
I'm only doing this because of the way Ford designed the oil cooler. Which I find to be a vexation at the moment.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:57 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chetspencer
Interesting, I haven't read anything about electrolysis problems in the 6.0.
I do have a super magnet taped onto the bottom of the lower radiator hose though.

Magnets will not help and aren't really what he's talking about. He's talking about using sacrificial anodes (Mg is for fresh water, Zn for salt) in the cooling system to prevent corrosion.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:19 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Any Update on Longevity

I know this is an EXTREMELY OLD thread, but I was wondering if anybody knew of an update on this. If it lasted, or if the OP had problems with it. I sell these water filters at my shop. Just wondering because of how terrible it looks, but interesting to see if it held up.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:39 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I was with the fleet we started useing a similar plastic houseing whole house filter. Placed inline between the radiator inlet and thermostat houseing. 215 deg. is the most we let ours system get. Much more than that the houseing would begin to distort a little and leak a bit. We would remove them after flushing. Tried leaving a couple on but chickened out after a year and removed them too.

They do not sell the ones we used anymore around here.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:11 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
I ended up buying a stainless steel filter housing on ebay for $70 or so. I use the spun cartridges from home depot (2 pack for $9). Working great and my delta is at 1 or 2 mostly.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:06 AM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by chetspencer
I ended up buying a stainless steel filter housing on ebay for $70 or so. I use the spun cartridges from home depot (2 pack for $9). Working great and my delta is at 1 or 2 mostly.

What micron rating are you using? The smallest we sell at our shop is 5 micron. Also, why did you go stainless on the housing?

Quick Reply: My ultra low budget 6.0 coolant filter