Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7.3 PSD Swap Project into 2005 V10 Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 05:19 PM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't been on this site much lately but I'm definitely gonna keep my eye on this thread!

Having done a similar swap myself, (albeit it was a body swap - gasser body on a PSD frame). I'm very curious to see how all the wiring lines up. In my experience you will be work (and frustration) ahead if you swap the whole PSD dash and all the computers/modules underneath it into the Gasser body.

I swapped a 2000 m/y 5.4L body onto a 2002 PSD chassis and put the entire PSD limeted interior into it. That way everything plugged right in. But I did have to strip every harness out of the body to get it all to work, and to aviod cutting and splicing. Thats something I just didnt want to do. And to complicate things, Ford had changed almost all of the connector styles between those model years.

Anyway, best of luck - it will be a cool and rewarding feat when she's all done! kudos!

Old 01-04-2012, 06:15 PM
excursiondude
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool gotta watch this!

Old 01-05-2012, 06:23 PM
craigwieck
Freshman User
I Would reseal the turbo pedestal while it's Off. You can get a kit from the dealer to rebuild it. I do them all the time. It's a lot cheaper than a new one. I would replace the valve cover gaskets and uv harnesses. I would replace the hi pressure plugs on the heads. You can get a o ring kit for the high pressure Pump and reseal that. This is the time to inspect the oil pan and front cover being as the motor has to come out to reseal those. I worked at a ford dealer for 12 years. Now I work at an independent shop that's works on diesels and everything. If there is any thing you need let me know

Old 01-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by aortizexcursion
Also, if no one has called them already, I'm interested in the deeper cupholders for the front console and the dash.
I ended up not buying the pull-out cup holder bro.

Drop Jon a PM if you haven't already.

Stewart

Old 01-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
i could use the deeper holder for the dash cups

Old 01-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by b-uno
i could use the deeper holder for the dash cups
I don't think they're any deeper, they are all the same to my knowledge.

The only one's deeper are the one's on the center floor console.

Here, you can see them in Lisa's (Houston Cowgirl) pic:
Name:  IMG_4450.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  27.9 KB

Those are the ones that were shallow through the '02 model year (IIRC), and deeper starting with the '03 model year.

Stewart

Old 01-05-2012, 10:06 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I don't think they're any deeper, they are all the same to my knowledge.

The only one's deeper are the one's on the center floor console.

Those are the ones that were shallow through the '02 model year (IIRC), and deeper starting with the '03 model year.

Stewart
The pull out cupholders in the instrument panel were vastly redesigned in the later build Excursions in 2000.

Here's the difference:

I got the picture from this thread: Swapping '99 and '00 cupholder faceplates - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

As far as the center console cupholders, I want to say that those were also made deeper in the later build 2000s just like the pull out cupholders.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:13 PM
ScottyDsntKnow
Elder User
The one on the left has left me in cold sweat multiple times with a 32oz coffee while going around a turn...

Old 01-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by aortizexcursion
The pull out cupholders in the instrument panel were vastly redesigned in the later build Excursions in 2000.

Here's the difference:
Holy crap! Those things on the left SUCK, LOLOLOL!

As far as the center console cupholders, I want to say that those were also made deeper in the later build 2000s just like the pull out cupholders.
Way back in the day (years upon years ago), when I researched it before ordering my deep cup holders, I had read multiple posts here and at TDS where guys had stated '03 and up were what ya wanted, so I was going by that.

When I upgraded mine, I just ordered '03's.

Stewart

Old 01-05-2012, 10:39 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Holy crap! Those things on the left SUCK, LOLOLOL!

Way back in the day (years upon years ago), when I researched it before ordering my deep cup holders, I had read multiple posts here and at TDS where guys had stated '03 and up were what ya wanted, so I was going by that.

When I upgraded mine, I just ordered '03's.

Stewart
As the OP on the linked thread that I gave said, "cup throwers" is a much better term for them. They S-U-C-K!

Here are two pics from Excursions on ebay of their console cupholders...they are deeper. It was probably the Job 2 Excursion in 2000 that received these fixes.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:29 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I first saw that left style pullout cupholder on a e99 at a local junkyard. It was already very picked over, but it had the windshield cowl seals I was missing. In looking around it, I saw the factory cupholder sitting on the floor. I thought to myself, that looks extremely lousy and not at all functional except as maybe a coin holder or maybe one of those short metal beverage cans.

I haven't seen a shallow console cupholder before. All I know is my '02s both have the deep console cupholder like the '05 has, just in the brown instead of black.

I need to go through and figure out who exactly was next in line for the dash cupholder. I'll be contacting that person as soon as I figure it out.

Jon

Old 01-06-2012, 03:50 AM
Houston Cowgirl
Senior User
Jon, you guys got it goin' on. Very cool thread. I'll be watching as you progress. Can't wait to see the finished beauty.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:09 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
That is priceless that your grandfather is working on this with you.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
The plan is to do as much as possible maintenance wise. O-rings, seals, sensors, glow plugs, etc. Probably will go ahead and do a new starter, water pump, and power steering pump as all look original and might fail somewhat soon anyway.

Originally, I wanted to use the V10 trans since it does only have 57k on it. but we've decided just to keep the diesel one with it and see how long we can get out of it. Change the fluid out and hope for another 50k+. I'm not planning to sell any of the V10 parts at this point, so I'll still have the other one around to get built up appropriately at that time. My dad looked briefly at the diesel trans and didn't see any seam where a bell housing could be removed like I've read before. Have to look closer though later on.
Definitely do a water pump with the engine out. I would also drop the pan on the tranny and replace the filter. The rear bolts on the pan are a PITA to get to with the tranny in the truck. As for the starter...I don't blame you for wanting to replace it, but after 282,000 miles mine is original, knock on wood. If treated well and depending on its previous life I don't see why your diesel tranny wouldn't go much longer either. After 282,000 miles mine is all original, knock on wood again. From my observations it seems like tranny life decreases as 1) maintenance decreases, and 2) power levels increase (usually accompanied by aggressive driving habits, unless for the purpose of towing). Now I'm just hoping neither my starter or tranny mysteriously fails for my ride home from work this afternoon.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:29 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I've heard horror stories regarding the oil pans in the 7.3L when it rusts. If it looks good, then leave it. Otherwise, this is a good time to replace it if you need to.

Quick Reply: 7.3 PSD Swap Project into 2005 V10 Excursion