Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Rollin' Thingamajig" 1992 F150 Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:52 PM
MarksA-C
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Rollin' Thingamajig" 1992 F150 Build

Well, I did it. Going to make a thread for my truck. Why may you ask? Because its the Rollin' Thingamajig! Thats why. Don't have a ton of $$ so its going to be a slower build, If thats going to be a problem then almighty overlord admins please smite this thread down! (Delete fyi) I have a ton of Ideas and this truck is going to be a combination... Work truck, Daily Driver, and Toy.

A little info on this rig.
Its a 1992 F150 XLT 4x4. Waldoch conversion truck with many interior and exterior upgrades and additions. Has the gutless wonder 351w and e4od trans, Push button 4x4, converted to manual locking hubs. As well it has around a 4" lift, I can't tell quite for sure...

So far I've done a TON of work to this truck in the past year and a half.
Basic tune up and maintenance. New power steering pump and lines, ALL new brakes from brake booster to rotors, everything done myself except the rotors. New rear gas tank, rebuilt front end, new u joints, new front bumper. Just got new leaf springs installed a few weeks ago. Many more little things but I don't need to waste your time telling it all to you guys.

NOW what your here for, Pictures!
This is what the truck looked like when it was delivered. March, 2010. $1000 cash. Had paperwork for a new shortblock and according to the odometer it had less than 20k on it. Was sitting for 4-5 years so all the brake lines were shot and many things needed work. But it fired up and ran great.

More pictures to come. But hey, Its Christmas!!!

Old 12-24-2011, 10:58 PM
MarksA-C
Senior User
It took a few months before the truck was street worthy, then a few months later before winter hit I got a KILLER deal on a set of wheels, 4 rims and 3 good tires. 1 spare tire later I had a good set for under $100 Not bad for 32x11.5 tires...

And just in time too, just about a month later we got hit with the horrible blizzard of February 2011.

Since then its been maintenance. Front end rebuild, replacing u joints, blah blah blah. Now that is all done! So now upgrades and restoration can begin!
This is how the truck sits now, brush guard is removed since the bumper was replaced. But I have something else to go on the front of the truck

Merry Christmas to myself! Now I just have to figure out how this thing mounts to the truck, MAINLY the bottom mounts. Look like they fit right where the swaybar mounts to.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:05 PM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru
Look forward to the build, I'm digging the moon visor. I remember the blizzard, thankfully I didn't have to work that day. I'll have to keep an eye out for this one driving around!

Old 12-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 391 Likes on 296 Posts
Looks good! What does "Waldoch conversion" consist of?

Old 12-24-2011, 11:40 PM
MarksA-C
Senior User
This is my plan for the truck. Make it a badass on road and off road machine. Its my daily driver that I take to work everyday. I also do scrapping and side jobs with it so it sees its fair share of work. It also is my fun machine, from blasting on city streets alone during blizzards to a little trail driving.

As far as upgrades I plan to unlease the beast in the 351W. New cam, headers, better ignition setup. Nothing too major but enough to help gain some power. The truck is going to stay at around a 4" lift. Its stable enough for towing and hauling and still trail worthy. Going to upgrade to 33x10.5 or 11.5 tires. Keeping them narrow for a few reasons. Better fuel mileage and less steering stress because of less friction, and a smaller footprint for better grip on snow and ice. Shouldn't have to change gearing, but we'll see. Rear differental is going to be getting replaced with a Eaton posi and the front will be getting a Locker. Seems like a good setup to me since most 2wd have posi and can still do a good deal of driving in low traction areas.

For looks its getting restored for the most part. New front fenders, repaired cab corner and probably a replaced bed. The running boards will be getting removed for sure. Gloss black paint for the majority of the truck. Besides the bed getting a spray in bed liner the bottom edges of the rockers and fenders will be getting a coating of bed liner, so its protected but not too noticeable. Will be keeping the factory chrome and maybe a few touches more touches of the shiney stuff

Interior will be getting upgraded a little, added switches, wood trim, upgraded stereo, modded center console to hold an 8" sub, cb radio, blah blah blah...

ENOUGH TALKING!

Old 12-24-2011, 11:43 PM
MarksA-C
Senior User
Originally Posted by Edgethis
Looks good! What does "Waldoch conversion" consist of?
Small lift kit, aftermarket wheels, bigger tires, most factory options, custom center console and upper console, aftermarket brush guard and rear bumper, the visor, custom paint on the sides (Yup, its all paint. ), the running board/fender flares and... I guess thats about it.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:56 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Ah ok. Thanks

on a side note, I wouldn't go with a locker in the front, a limited slip would be best IMHO. A locker would get worn out real quick from the front being a steering axle.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:14 AM
MarksA-C
Senior User
Never thought of that. Thanks for the info

Old 12-25-2011, 12:24 AM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
Thats a pretty sweet deal for only a grand, and it isnt bad for a WI truck.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:11 PM
MarksA-C
Senior User
Originally Posted by blkF250HD
Look forward to the build, I'm digging the moon visor. I remember the blizzard, thankfully I didn't have to work that day. I'll have to keep an eye out for this one driving around!
The blizzard was fun! I was the only one who made it to work that day, just to have the boss call and say we were going to be closed for the day. SO I went out messing around the empty city streets. Nothing quite as fun as busting a power slide and having 4 rooster tails of snow

Old 01-01-2012, 06:01 PM
MarksA-C
Senior User
Recovering from yesterday...Finally the holidays are over!

ANYWAY, I have the brackets for the front bumper ordered to get it mounted. BUT before I mount it I hope to get new front coils. I know the truck is lifted but I can't tell how high. As well with it having the Big 351W and soon a 250+lb bumper guard I wouldn't mind upgrading the coils to F250 coils at the same time to handle the extra weight.

These are some pics of the underside. It has different radius arm brackets and pivots brackets from what I can tell and also has extra lift blocks in the back. I know they are stacked blocks. Been that way over 15 years apparently so I think I'll be fine for a little while longer until I can find a single block.

I am guessing its a 4" lift?

Old 01-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
A 4" lift does sound about right. I didn't think they really made drop brackets for anything smaller then a 6" lift tho..

Old 01-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
looking great on your truck, I would love the visor and running boards for my truck (single reg cab) too!

Old 01-01-2012, 06:38 PM
MarksA-C
Senior User
Originally Posted by Edgethis
A 4" lift does sound about right. I didn't think they really made drop brackets for anything smaller then a 6" lift tho..
From rough country to superlift their 4" kits have the brackets.
Why can't stuff just be easy

Old 01-24-2012, 09:14 AM
MarksA-C
Senior User
Got a few more goodies for the truck. But sadly i am stuck using my phone to get on the net since my pc died. So pics will have to wait.

Quick Reply: "Rollin' Thingamajig" 1992 F150 Build