1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

49 F-3 Restoration - Route 66 Style!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by EAK69
OK - 'rough draft' of paint colors on the model:

Now, I can go a little lighter on the YELLOW - but it will start looking like a canary, and if I go a little darker on the yellow - it will look like mustard and that is not in the Richfield color scheme.

The BLUE can go lighter, but then it will be - well, blue.

I would have decals on the car and the tires would be solid black as well as the wood slats not in the bed, but running along the top lip of the bed (see model pic for example)..

The front end I am thinking about painting the same blue with silver (not chrome) grill...

Let me know what you thik - I have thich skin!
I like your colors.... It should look great....

Old 12-29-2011, 09:41 AM
EAK69
Senior User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only problem is the blue is a little too light for the Richfield colors - so I would have to go a little darker - but at least we know what the color combo looks like at full-scale.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
The only problem is the blue is a little too light for the Richfield colors - so I would have to go a little darker - but at least we know what the color combo looks like at full-scale.
Yeah, you have to match the Richfield colors as best you can or it would look just a little off to the Richfield folk. Can't wait to see the progress.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:13 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
You are really off to a good start and I do like the color scheme and the whole theme with the Route 66. The next time I visit my daughter in Scottsdale, I may have to look for your truck.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:34 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hello...I'd also like to extend my welcome to FTE. If you can find a stock flathead V8....it'd look pretty good in that truck!
Dan

Old 12-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Phity Five
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since you have a model to play with paint, you could consider the roof or roof and perhaps the "A" and/or "B" pillars... just a thought.

Cheers... Brian

Old 12-29-2011, 01:06 PM
EAK69
Senior User

Just noticed something about the (real) radiator: the owner BEFORE the owner I bought this off of put in a radiator for a V8, BUT plugged one of the top input holes and welded shut one of the bottom output holes. So it lead to it had a straight 6 in it all the time, just really bad judgement on the radiator repair!

Also, I was told Ford did ship out trucks (back in the day) with primer only so companies could have the truck painted however they wanted. With this, the interior went either a Dove Grey or a Tan color - instead of following the exterior color into the dash - which is something I might have to take into consideration...

Old 12-29-2011, 05:42 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
Just noticed something about the (real) radiator: the owner BEFORE the owner I bought this off of put in a radiator for a V8, BUT plugged one of the top input holes and welded shut one of the bottom output holes. So it lead to it had a straight 6 in it all the time, just really bad judgement on the radiator repair!

Also, I was told Ford did ship out trucks (back in the day) with primer only so companies could have the truck painted however they wanted. With this, the interior went either a Dove Grey or a Tan color - instead of following the exterior color into the dash - which is something I might have to take into consideration...
Your radiator modification is not unusual. People did whatever they had to do to keep these old trucks running with minimal cash outlay. If a PO needed a radiator and if the only thing available was a v8 part, plugging a couple holes was pretty simple to do.

It is true that if someone wanted a non-production color, a truck could be ordered in primer and painted by the dealer or by the customer themselves, if desired. It may have been cheaper to do that than to pay for custom ordered factory paint. My Mercury is a perfect example. The original owner had a moving company and wanted a white truck. White was not a production color, so a primered one was ordered and the dealer painted the exterior white and had a flatbed installed before delivery. The interior was left in it's original primer. Being a deluxe trim truck, the seat was a two-tone maroon/grey and it had the grey interior trim panels.

I wouldn't recommend leaving your truck with the interior in primer. As I said previously, if, for instance, Richfield would have ordered a fleet of trucks, Ford would have painted them to Richfield specs and Ford would have made a package deal for all of them. They could very well been all blue with the outside of the cab done in yellow, if that's the way you would prefer it.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:54 PM
EAK69
Senior User

Yeah - I wouldn't leave the interior 'primered' but still trying to figure out which way to go - but it is pretty far down the line so no need to sweat over it - the exterior work begins in a month or so, so it takes priority when it comes to colors...

Thanks for the pic!

Old 12-29-2011, 06:20 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would do blue with exterior in yellow.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:15 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Here is what I was looking for of a 48-50 two tone dash

Attached Images   
Old 12-31-2011, 05:52 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Moe I like that two tone dash!

Ed I would probably have some time on Sunday 1/8 so let me know if that's a possibility. Have you done any of the Route 66 stuff in Pontiac, IL?

Rob

Old 01-05-2012, 10:58 PM
EAK69
Senior User

OK - getting a little closer to getting this model completed!

I am mocking it up to get an idea of how I want my paint to be:

As you can tell, I have printed out a few things to stick to the sides. I will probably have more things on the real truck - they will be just too small to do it on the model...

I'm trying to get the model in the next week or two as I will be working on the real thing!!

I'm also thinking of a few creative pin stripes which will set off the truck - but nothing too fancy where I blow the whole concept.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:49 PM
EAK69
Senior User

Originally Posted by Rojak
Ed,

We are not far from the airport in Bloomington. When are you arriving? I will send an eMail to your website.

We are planning a Spring Break trip to AZ in late March. I'll do another post about that to see if I can meet up with any of the AZ FTE members.

Rob
I am in Bloomington / Normal for the weekend. Let me know if you are around Sunday...

Old 01-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Ed I'm sending contact info to your website info address. Hope to meet up with you.

Rob

Quick Reply: 49 F-3 Restoration - Route 66 Style!