Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-13-2011, 09:45 PM
ArrizX's Avatar
ArrizX ArrizX is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 279
ArrizX is starting off with a positive reputation.
5.4 Rebuild

I have not much experience in this area .... I am getting a F250 that has a "bad engine" as far as I know it runs but uses oil so bad you cant drive it. There is also a huge oil leak under it and I cant see where it is coming from.

I was told it needed a rebuild and thats what I intend to do since its highler mileage anyways.


I need to be pointed in the right direction. I plan to do it all myself with a friend or two. No shops. I will buy any tools I might need for this... But what do I buy for the engine?

Overhaul kit? There are different kinds im not sure what to do? Should I just tear it down and re do what I can like bearings, rings, gaskets ...?

Can anyone I guess link me to a solid source for something to buy. I really need to stay under 1000 dollars but I would really REALLY like to be under 500 if thats even possible.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-13-2011, 10:01 PM
enriched&beyound enriched&beyound is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NE Iowa JD Country
Posts: 793
enriched&beyound is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
I have not much experience in this area .... I am getting a F250 that has a "bad engine" as far as I know it runs but uses oil so bad you cant drive it. There is also a huge oil leak under it and I cant see where it is coming from.

I was told it needed a rebuild and thats what I intend to do since its highler mileage anyways.


I need to be pointed in the right direction. I plan to do it all myself with a friend or two. No shops. I will buy any tools I might need for this... But what do I buy for the engine?

Overhaul kit? There are different kinds im not sure what to do? Should I just tear it down and re do what I can like bearings, rings, gaskets ...?

Can anyone I guess link me to a solid source for something to buy. I really need to stay under 1000 dollars but I would really REALLY like to be under 500 if thats even possible.
Not sure if your going to be able to stay under those dollar amounts....on a overhaul.
Sure you can prolly find over haul kits...but its going to be the machine work to prep the block and heads...etc, on top of that will blow your budget. Then factor in get tools and refreshments for your help....well I suspect you'll spend closer to $2500...depending on if you are well outfitted already with tools.

your more economical way it to get a running engine out of the Salvage yard and swap it out.

you can look at Summit or Jegs for OH kits for on line...but a good chatt at your local automotive machine shop will shed better lite
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 PM
ArrizX's Avatar
ArrizX ArrizX is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 279
ArrizX is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enriched&beyound View Post
Not sure if your going to be able to stay under those dollar amounts....on a overhaul.
Sure you can prolly find over haul kits...but its going to be the machine work to prep the block and heads...etc, on top of that will blow your budget. Then factor in get tools and refreshments for your help....well I suspect you'll spend closer to $2500...depending on if you are well outfitted already with tools.

your more economical way it to get a running engine out of the Salvage yard and swap it out.

you can look at Summit or Jegs for OH kits for on line...but a good chatt at your local automotive machine shop will shed better lite
See this is what confuses me. Why does there need to be machine work? I dont suspect the truck needs to get bored over or the crank turned or anything like that. Like I said I dont know a ton about this so forgive stupid questions.

Why cant I just go in and replace wear items and gaskets i.e. rings, bearings, valves and springs even??
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-13-2011, 11:19 PM
ArrizX's Avatar
ArrizX ArrizX is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 279
ArrizX is starting off with a positive reputation.
Like... would this work?

Ford 5.4L 1997-2005 Engine Rebuild Kit

or would I really have to spend the extra and get this

http://www.rpmmachine.com/shop/index...t_detail&p=718
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-14-2011, 07:29 AM
enriched&beyound enriched&beyound is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NE Iowa JD Country
Posts: 793
enriched&beyound is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
Like... would this work?

Ford 5.4L 1997-2005 Engine Rebuild Kit

or would I really have to spend the extra and get this

Ford 5.4L 1997-2005 Engine Rebuild Kit
mostlikely the second one , because more is included, gaskets & such. BUT... what kind of quality of items are with in this kit is the better question. the 1st one rely on using most of your current items pistons, crankshaft, heads...etc provided that they are show minimal wear.

as far as why machine work is needed.... well that all depends really what kind of condition your engine is in?

A machine shop can ascertain the condition of your engine with special instruments and measuring devices...measure the journals on the crankshaft...taper on the cylinder bores, to see what is with in specification , as well as, check for internal cracks...to correct this wear...they have the specialized equipment to correct for this too. this takes time and is where $$ add up.

you can do some of this yourself if you know what to look for and have reasonable knowledge of tolerances and specifications and time to walk through it checking and rechecking often. and of course the tools

hope that helps
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Bigpipes 35's Avatar
Bigpipes 35 Bigpipes 35 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: forest lake minnesota
Posts: 2,989
Bigpipes 35 has a brilliant futureBigpipes 35 has a brilliant futureBigpipes 35 has a brilliant futureBigpipes 35 has a brilliant futureBigpipes 35 has a brilliant futureBigpipes 35 has a brilliant futureBigpipes 35 has a brilliant futureBigpipes 35 has a brilliant futureBigpipes 35 has a brilliant futureBigpipes 35 has a brilliant futureBigpipes 35 has a brilliant future
I guess the first thing I would do is verify that it needs any work to begin with , if it is leaking a large amount of oil find out where it is coming from, could be the oil cooler, could be a cracked filter housing , lots of possible scenarios, after that recheck for oil usage maybe after you fix all the leaks the oil usage might be within reason. Just my thoughts
__________________
Chris aka FTEMaB 3
2003 F250 fx4 cc short box. 5.4 , 4.30 gears, flowmaster 50 , spd Y pipe , eagle alloys , 285/70/17 nitto terra grapplers, SCT X3 tuned , warn manual hubs, 6.0 trans cooler mod
2006 Keystone sprinter copper canyon
2000 f150 4x4 work truck 4.6 AKA Martha
http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/...es35/truck.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-14-2011, 10:04 PM
jayton4 jayton4 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jefferson, GA
Posts: 53
jayton4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
James Ayton
Rebuilding an engine requires machine shop work. Oil leaks are not the reason why engines need to be rebuilt. There is something else wrong with the engine they are not telling you. I agree with the others, get the best looking salvage yard engine you can find for a low price. Call around to a bunch of places. Search on car-part.com.

Not an insult, but just judging from your post, it sounds like you may be in over your head. You have a lot more reading up to do. You are going to have to increase the allotted funds or pick a different project. I've spent around $2000 on the 4.6L build I am working on now for an engine hoist, engine stand, cam timing tool, engine with 51k miles, head gaskets, head bolts, bottom end gasket kit, cleaning solvents, replacement fluids, and about a dozen other things I'm sure that I'm forgetting.

My garage was already pretty well stocked with all air tools, ratchets, sockets, wrenches and other special tools needed.
__________________
jayton4
2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4.6L SOHC - Engine swap in process
1996 Ford Mustang GT Conv. - Mac catted H-pipe -Current daily driver
1996 Ford Mustang GT Conv. - Stock, 14.683 1/4 mile ET, 206.1 rwhp - Currently in storage
2001 BMW 325i Saloon - Wife's daily driver
1993 Mercury Grand Marquis - Backup car
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-15-2011, 03:40 AM
ArrizX's Avatar
ArrizX ArrizX is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 279
ArrizX is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayton4 View Post
Rebuilding an engine requires machine shop work. Oil leaks are not the reason why engines need to be rebuilt. There is something else wrong with the engine they are not telling you. I agree with the others, get the best looking salvage yard engine you can find for a low price. Call around to a bunch of places. Search on car-part.com.

Not an insult, but just judging from your post, it sounds like you may be in over your head. You have a lot more reading up to do. You are going to have to increase the allotted funds or pick a different project. I've spent around $2000 on the 4.6L build I am working on now for an engine hoist, engine stand, cam timing tool, engine with 51k miles, head gaskets, head bolts, bottom end gasket kit, cleaning solvents, replacement fluids, and about a dozen other things I'm sure that I'm forgetting.

My garage was already pretty well stocked with all air tools, ratchets, sockets, wrenches and other special tools needed.
Well when you start the truck up it makes a clank clank clank noise then stops. So this is the senario. Guy owns 2wd 5.4 as a work truck. Takes good care of it but a friend is going to give him a good deal on a diesel 4x4. Guys wife says no way unless his current one dies. So what does he do? Drive the snot out of it till something goes pop. I am kind of agreeing on the salvage yard engine.

And yes im totally in over my head on this stuff. Never really done anything internally other than some crank bearings on my old SBC. But thats why I am here asking.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-17-2011, 08:12 AM
JWA's Avatar
JWA JWA is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Posts: 7,023
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
As the others have already said no offense but rebuilding an engine with little or no experience can be much much more costly than the salvage yard/used motor route.

I'm not sure how valuable this new-to-you truck will be if its running well so I'd suggest looking at a Ford long block which is a somewhat easier exchange than the engine rebuild. Those typically run about $2700, $500 core charge with a 3 year/50K mile warranty too.

If its just a beater truck of sorts you're getting for a great price maybe Craig's List is a good source in your area? I found a '99 5.4 gasser motor with 85K miles for $1,000. Sadly it wasn't suited for my later model E250 so it had to be resold quickly.

There is some great advice to be had here, many having already done most anything being considered by others---well worth heeding their advice.

Best of luck--------hope this is a great truck once its finished!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-17-2011, 02:42 PM
ArrizX's Avatar
ArrizX ArrizX is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 279
ArrizX is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
As the others have already said no offense but rebuilding an engine with little or no experience can be much much more costly than the salvage yard/used motor route.

I'm not sure how valuable this new-to-you truck will be if its running well so I'd suggest looking at a Ford long block which is a somewhat easier exchange than the engine rebuild. Those typically run about $2700, $500 core charge with a 3 year/50K mile warranty too.

If its just a beater truck of sorts you're getting for a great price maybe Craig's List is a good source in your area? I found a '99 5.4 gasser motor with 85K miles for $1,000. Sadly it wasn't suited for my later model E250 so it had to be resold quickly.

There is some great advice to be had here, many having already done most anything being considered by others---well worth heeding their advice.

Best of luck--------hope this is a great truck once its finished!
I appreciate it but 2700 is just not there and wont be for a project.

It wont be a beater truck but it will never be a daily driver and I will never need to rely on it... Its going to be a mud truck. Its a 2wd and I have a divorced Tcase for it chevy 3/4 axles, plans for big lift and 40" tires.

I will start a build thread for it tomorrow when I get the truck....


What about putting a 460 BB in it? I am going to search for adapters and such to even see if thats an option.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Skoda's Avatar
Skoda Skoda is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada, ON New Market
Posts: 528
Skoda is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
I appreciate it but 2700 is just not there and wont be for a project.

It wont be a beater truck but it will never be a daily driver and I will never need to rely on it... Its going to be a mud truck. Its a 2wd and I have a divorced Tcase for it chevy 3/4 axles, plans for big lift and 40" tires.

I will start a build thread for it tomorrow when I get the truck....


What about putting a 460 BB in it? I am going to search for adapters and such to even see if thats an option.
well if you want the hardcore kiss aproch you might aswell drop the 350sbc and its tranny 7r400? in it too, not one thought less of a lie cheap and to the point
__________________
99 F-250 Lariat project Cat3406 13speed
02 CAT 420D
10 Nav L "OOOOOuuuuuu the party bus"
05 CAT 302.5
04 25' featherlite gooseneck
13 F-550 XL 6.7PD(4.88 gears?!?!)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-12-2012, 10:45 PM
ArrizX's Avatar
ArrizX ArrizX is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 279
ArrizX is starting off with a positive reputation.
Appreciate the response and have been though lots of ideas for my project. Did go out and buy a 460 and c6 combo but I have decided to resell it and probably rebuild this engine as I can since the truck is going to be a project for a while!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-12-2012, 11:30 PM
Skoda's Avatar
Skoda Skoda is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada, ON New Market
Posts: 528
Skoda is starting off with a positive reputation.
i'am really curious to know whats wrong with this engine...
__________________
99 F-250 Lariat project Cat3406 13speed
02 CAT 420D
10 Nav L "OOOOOuuuuuu the party bus"
05 CAT 302.5
04 25' featherlite gooseneck
13 F-550 XL 6.7PD(4.88 gears?!?!)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-12-2012, 11:43 PM
ArrizX's Avatar
ArrizX ArrizX is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 279
ArrizX is starting off with a positive reputation.
Me too!

This is the best I can do for a sound clip



There are more grinding and metal clanking noises than you can hear in the video.

Hardly stays running. Wont rev pas 2k.

Apparently bad rings



Very smokey



This is about 2 minutes of running just on the trailer to get it off



It stalls/misses/shudders/grinds......

OH!

And it doesnt even have a check engine light.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-26-2012, 07:58 PM
svo121 svo121 is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 31
svo121 is starting off with a positive reputation.
From what I have read here you have a project truck that you are going to put in mud with oversize tires and nothing under the hood to make the tires turn. If it rattles and smokes and won't rev past 2 grand then I'd bet it is worn out which means it needs boring, pistons, rings and bearings, rods reconditioned, etc. Valve guides could also be worn out so there is more machine work and money, crank probably needs turning from the egg shaped rods that are hammering on it while it is trying to run. So the way I see it is that if you don't want to spend more than $500 dollars then your best bet is to part the truck out and forget about slinging mud. Its real simple, a powerplant that knocks, smokes and barely runs won't pull gumbo mudders. Take the money you would spend on the tires and wheels and put it under the hood first. Then buy the tires and wheels for slinging mud. Sorry, but rings and gaskets won't fix an engine that is worn as bad as yours seem to be. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:58 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
98 f150 4.2 v6 bent connector rod AwesomeKenneth 1997 - 2003 F150 4 11-07-2013 04:43 PM
1998 F250 Light Duty engine rebuild/swap knuckle66 1997 - 2003 F150 6 12-10-2012 06:02 PM
Ran low on oil, do I need a full engine rebuild? Ford F834 Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) 20 09-02-2010 08:38 PM
Update-project 85 300-6 cfrives3 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco 7 11-24-2007 08:06 PM
ratsmoker, i know you told me before but I can't find the post, 390 parts question F100DREAM FE & FT Big Block V8 (332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428) 31 02-20-2003 07:38 AM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)

Tags
250, 54, block, cht, ford, full, included, kit, long, machine, prices, rebuild, rebuilding, scrap, truck, walkthrough, work

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


Participate In The Forums

Create new posts and participate in discussions. It's free!

Sign Up »





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup