6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Smoke during "Cleaning exhaust filter"

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Captain Bones
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning Exhaust Filter

I bought my '08 F-250 6.4 used from a dealer. I opted for the extended warranty. good thing I did. It had 79,000 miles on it when I bought it. After going into the cleaning cycle 2 or three times a day one morning it would not even turn over. Had it towed back to the dealer and they replaced an exhaust sensor, it's been great ever since. It went into cleaning mode once in the last 30 days and it was over quickly just a little white smoke nothing like before. I hope that's the end of the problem.
I was about trade it in for new one. I will wait a while and see how it goes.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:22 AM
chi6488
Senior User
Originally Posted by Captain Bones
I bought my '08 F-250 6.4 used from a dealer. I opted for the extended warranty. good thing I did. It had 79,000 miles on it when I bought it. After going into the cleaning cycle 2 or three times a day one morning it would not even turn over. Had it towed back to the dealer and they replaced an exhaust sensor, it's been great ever since. It went into cleaning mode once in the last 30 days and it was over quickly just a little white smoke nothing like before. I hope that's the end of the problem.
I was about trade it in for new one. I will wait a while and see how it goes.
You are one of the really lucky ones. Most are advised NORMAL by dealer and sent home like I was. After enough frustration, I deleted and not looking back.

Like I always say in these types of postings, something is wrong but will dealers tech address problems or NORMAL???

Old 03-26-2012, 03:23 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 129 Likes on 66 Posts
Bought my 09 with 65k on the clock and when it would regen it would white smoke. All that crap is gone now. Also will be getting a new CAC due to when towing in a heavy rainstorm two weeks ago it exhibited the classic studdering/smoking upon downshifting stuff.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:19 AM
JcF204
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '08 just started doing it. The Exhaust Temp Sensor was just replaced, after leaving the dealer it goes into regen, smoke blows all over the place and I freaked. My truck never puffed even a tiny bit of smoke on regens before.

It took a very long highway drive to get it to complete the cycle, since then I have seen small puffs of smoke on regen. But like mentioned. My truck runs just fine while all this is happening. Hope everything inside the engine is fine though...

Old 03-29-2012, 11:53 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
I'll belch smoke very predictably the moment I start moving after coming to a stop about 2 minutes into regen.

I just posted in another forum a graph of a complete regen showing my CAT and DPF temperatures and DPF pressure and noted where I started to belch smoke. It'll always smoke during the DPF heatup phase.

Truck Smoking Excessively - Page 4 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Old 04-04-2012, 03:36 PM
ccrider1116
New User
I am having the same issue with my 2010 f250 6.4. I only have 18,000 miles and it appears to do it whenever it feels like it. At first there was no rhyme or reason to the timing, but the more I monitor it and pay attention to it, I do think it is related to the cleaning exhaust filter. Not really sure. I can't imagine that ford would claim that it is normal??? However, crazier things have happen! Can someone explain what the "DPF" is that people are talking about turning off? Sorry for the ignorant question, new to having a diesel and trying to learn as much as possible.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:04 PM
F250Snowman
New User
Originally Posted by ccrider1116
I am having the same issue with my 2010 f250 6.4. I only have 18,000 miles and it appears to do it whenever it feels like it. At first there was no rhyme or reason to the timing, but the more I monitor it and pay attention to it, I do think it is related to the cleaning exhaust filter. Not really sure. I can't imagine that ford would claim that it is normal??? However, crazier things have happen! Can someone explain what the "DPF" is that people are talking about turning off? Sorry for the ignorant question, new to having a diesel and trying to learn as much as possible.
I am in no way a "mech" type person. I believe that is stands for Diesel Particle Filter. When people talk about "Deleting" it, it just means removing it from the truck and replacing with straight pipes back to the muffler..

Old 04-04-2012, 04:34 PM
TORQUESHIFT
New User
Soooooo...my 2010 6.4 would smoke during regen.
Then I installed an H&S Mini Maxx and the regen cycles were farther apart and no smoke....then i deleted the DPF/CAT. No white smoke and 3 more mpg.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:52 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TORQUESHIFT
Soooooo...my 2010 6.4 would smoke during regen.
Then I installed an H&S Mini Maxx and the regen cycles were farther apart and no smoke....then i deleted the DPF/CAT. No smoke and 3 more mpg.
From what I've gathered, most tuner guys took an early snapshot of whatever the prevailing flash version was when they started and used it as a reference for their tunes.

It also seems the early 6.4 flashes let the DPF fill more than the newest flashes before starting regens. I remember guys who had early 08's complain about getting more frequent regens every 250-or-so miles versus 400miles after their flashes were updated. My completed regens have always been nothing more than 275-300miles apart. The smoke seems to be an artifact of the newer flashes as well.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:51 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Dealers state that this is normal at the beginning of the regen. Someone posted a TSB about this a few years ago. The white smoke tends to occur more in humid a colder places too.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:45 AM
chi6488
Senior User
Originally Posted by jasfaa
Dealers state that this is normal at the beginning of the regen. Someone posted a TSB about this a few years ago. The white smoke tends to occur more in humid a colder places too.

Those quick belch of smoke were early symptoms. Since the new flash the truck is a locomotive going down the road. No longer a quick belch but constant white smoke for 2-3 miles coming from a $50k truck.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:17 AM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Thats actually not true chi, Mine has done that for 3 years and it was stated to be normal by three different dealers citing the TSB from a few years ago. I honestly think it gets worse as your DPF gets older and I also think it has to do with condensation and temperature of the air. In the summer I never see it but in the wet humid winter of the northwest it would happen all of the time. Thank god mine is sitting on the garage floor now.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:46 AM
chi6488
Senior User
Mine never did it during humid temps that I can remember. It was last winter when humidity was in the 30's in FL that it got so bad I had to delete and go on with life

Old 04-05-2012, 12:05 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
In WA we are humid and have the cool temperatures. meaning 30's to 40's. This is where I saw it happen for the longest times and since our winters are between 30 and 40 off and on for almost six months, you can see how we get the white smoke problem probably longer than a warmer Florida. I noticed when it got over 50 it stopped doing it though. You?

Old 04-05-2012, 12:05 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Mine's not blowing moisture. It's definitely blowing unburnt fuel. Steam dissipates pretty quickly. The stuff I blow lingers and is nasty :-(

Quick Reply: Smoke during "Cleaning exhaust filter"