6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Lockpick

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 01:18 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I will try to find out the specifics and let you guys know. Since he was able to make it work...I would imagine it would also work the same way for multiple camera with a pot style switch if you have more than two?

You know what I mean?...like redirecting the signal from one camera to another?

Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 PM
KG6EPF
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 720Deere
It sounds like he is using an A/B switch.
Sounds like it but if it was just that simple, why would Lockpick be still saying (for 2 years running) that it can't be done?

I hope it's an easy answer like and that I can just mount an A/B switch in the glovebox.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:56 AM
RobFlag
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm wondering if you just tapped into the exsiting Video In wires on the Factory Nav (coming from the rear view camera) you could connect as many other cameras as you wanted. As long as only ONE was powered on at a time, that is what you'd see. If you were only using two cameras, an Upfitter could be used on a double throw relay to power one or the other camera. Only trick would be to also tell the Head Unit to display video. You'd have to find the "I'm In Reverse" wire and provide that signal also.

This setup wouldn't require a Lockpick to work.

IF you have a lock pick you could connect the same way to it (including you're factory backup camera) and it would generate the "I'm in Reverse" signal for you.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:54 PM
RobFlag
Senior User
After some more post searching, appears the signal to the head unit that activates the rear view screen is on the data buss so therefore, not accessable directly as I had hoped. Apparently the Lockpick can set that bit at will.

I'm guessing here but there must be a set of contacts somewhere that tells the computer that the truck in in Reverse. Might be associated with the Gear Shift lever or the tranny it self. With the right schematics perhaps someone here could identify the source of "I'm in Reverse" to the BCM or where ever it goes. Any takers out there with access to prints?

Old 02-12-2012, 05:27 PM
rpbf150
Senior User
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
I will try to find out the specifics and let you guys know. Since he was able to make it work...I would imagine it would also work the same way for multiple camera with a pot style switch if you have more than two?

You know what I mean?...like redirecting the signal from one camera to another?
Awaiting my new F350, lariat "loaded" 1.5 more weeks!!!!! This looks VERY interesting! I also have a new 5r and really like the idea of tapping into the tailgate harnes to run a camera off the back of the camper! I sure hope you can get detailed info on what your friend did!

Old 02-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Emel
Freshman User
Hello go to Autotoys.com, they have the lockpick back up camera unlock #18954. and a lockpick miniam221 #18951 this will work on our trucks. Emel PS Moor info coastaletech.com/LOCKPICK_CAMERAS.htn how to install vido

Old 02-14-2012, 05:14 AM
Thom12
Senior User
Originally Posted by Emel
Hello go to Autotoys.com, they have the lockpick back up camera unlock #18954. and a lockpick miniam221 #18951 this will work on our trucks. Emel PS Moor info coastaletech.com/LOCKPICK_CAMERAS.htn how to install vido
Thanks for the input Emal, but we are trying to make the factory camera in our tailgates work without buying another camera, or using tailgate camera along with a second/third camera.

Coastaletech says Ford factory tail gate camera won't work with Lockpick, they should know, they make it...

Last edited by Thom12; 02-14-2012 at 05:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-14-2012, 07:25 AM
rpbf150
Senior User
Originally Posted by Thom12
Thanks for the input Emal, but we are trying to make the factory camera in our tailgates work without buying another camera, or using tailgate camera along with a second/third camera.

Coastaletech says Ford factory tail gate camera won't work with Lockpick, they should know, they make it...
Its not that the tailgate cam won't work with the lockpick, it is that you can not add a 2nd camera with it.

I don't need to add a 2nd camera other than for my 5r and I like the idea of getting the "replacement" harness for the tailgate cam and modifying it to run all the way back to the rear of the camper, add on your own cam (lockpics look as good as any I have found) and simply unplug your tailgate and plug in the camper harness and "boom" you have rear camper video! I suppose it would be nice to have a front camera for tight space parking............but .....thats what I have a brain for......You better be able to judge distance out the front if you drive one of these trucks!!! If you can't......well get a prius or something.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:35 AM
jack_pine
Elder User

Originally Posted by rpbf150
Its not that the tailgate cam won't work with the lockpick, it is that you can not add a 2nd camera with it.

I don't need to add a 2nd camera other than for my 5r and I like the idea of getting the "replacement" harness for the tailgate cam and modifying it to run all the way back to the rear of the camper, add on your own cam (lockpics look as good as any I have found) and simply unplug your tailgate and plug in the camper harness and "boom" you have rear camper video! I suppose it would be nice to have a front camera for tight space parking............but .....thats what I have a brain for......You better be able to judge distance out the front if you drive one of these trucks!!! If you can't......well get a prius or something.
Where does one get a "replacement" harness? There is another thread going on the Edge monitor (not tuner) and am thinking of doing the camper camera with that. That way you can have both (on different screens) and you get the extra gauge displays as well.

Just struggling with how to do the disconnect and extra wiring, not my strength.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:46 AM
rpbf150
Senior User
Originally Posted by jack_pine
Where does one get a "replacement" harness? There is another thread going on the Edge monitor (not tuner) and am thinking of doing the camper camera with that. That way you can have both (on different screens) and you get the extra gauge displays as well.

Just struggling with how to do the disconnect and extra wiring, not my strength.
The harness from ford is #BC3Z-14A412A it is about $28.00 you would then have to cut it in half and splice in your own wire to make it long enough to get from the back of the truck to the end of the camper. I have not looked yet but I was told that on the 350 the wire harness connection in on the right hand side of the tail gate. under the bumber area. Unplug the tailg gate and plug in the new camper harness.

If you want 2 video feeds then IMO get a wireless backup camera on the camper and set the 2nd video feed on your dash when needed.

I just don't want the extra clutter........when camping, my truck is full!! 2 adults (me/wife) and 4 kids.

I believe someone went over the wiring earlier in this thread or I saw it in the following thread:

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f152/backup-camera-275298/

My F350 arrives in about 1.5 weeks so I will play with it then and if no one has done so that I can see.....I will post a new thread with the install.

I am looking at the lockpick simply for the nav/in motion bypass feature.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:45 AM
RobFlag
Senior User
Just ordered two of the harnesses from Fordpartsgiant.com. $21.40 ea.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:54 AM
rpbf150
Senior User
Originally Posted by RobFlag
Just ordered two of the harnesses from Fordpartsgiant.com. $21.40 ea.
any shipping cost?

Old 02-14-2012, 10:03 AM
RobFlag
Senior User
Shipping was $12, $54.81 total for the two. I'm going to rig up one with a relay so I can connect two cameras and only power one at a time. Then I just need to figure out how to tell the head unit to display the video. I know the lockpick will do that but would like to avoid the cost of that if possible.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:21 AM
rpbf150
Senior User
Originally Posted by RobFlag
Shipping was $12, $54.81 total for the two. I'm going to rig up one with a relay so I can connect two cameras and only power one at a time. Then I just need to figure out how to tell the head unit to display the video. I know the lockpick will do that but would like to avoid the cost of that if possible.

I would think that all you need is to find the wire in the harness that is the video feed from the tailgate, cut splice in the relay and you should be able to switch signals with no problem.

Let us know how you fair.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:13 PM
T0C
New User
I talked to a guy from coastaletech.com and he told me that the lockpick will work for my Raptors factory front and rear cam, I just hope I dont have all those issues like JimCantu on page 2
Im worried now!

Quick Reply: Lockpick