Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 07:10 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by IowanStraight6
I've seen napas bad same month they where put in the junk last a year if your lucky optima isn't made by Johnson there made by interstate top three in my book motorcraft acdelco interstate
PLEASE. Learn to use some punctuation.

And you are correct, when EXIDE made NAPA batteries

Old 12-13-2011, 07:46 AM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You really cannot go wrong with interstate or motorcraft. Have used both, had great luck with both.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:38 AM
IowanStraight6
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
PLEASE. Learn to use some punctuation.

And you are correct, when EXIDE made NAPA batteries
Alright. I have issues with knowing the difference between sentence structure and texting on my phone while on the forums. All I know is NAPA now makes a display case for there batteries with a built in maintainer for each battery. We laughed so hard, they can not even hold a charge before sold? That's a battery I am not putting in my truck anytime soon.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:05 AM
CJM8515
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ Theres 3 different napas here and not a single one carries exide anymore or has such a setup. Must be your place only.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:28 AM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
See now that's odd and might be a "location" thing? Myself I wouldn't take a Interstate battery if it was cheap or even free. They have had a **** pour track record around here for a very long time.

Include a warranty yea like any other brand, problem is they just give ya another Interstate battery.

Found out few months ago that time hasn't improved things with them, my mom had a new battery put in her car.
Called me couple weeks later complaining her car wouldn't start, I drove all the way down there to find it's battery was dead. Opened the hood to find it was a interstate battery.

Gave it a jump and after talking to her more about it she stated she had the car serviced, oil and lube the normal stuff and they told her her battery was weak and should be replaced.

Well you know how moms are she told them just put a new one in it. She doesn't drive much these days, drove the car home from having it serviced and it sat there unused until that day.

I though yea wasn't fully charged to start with, turned cold figured drive it around some it'll be fine.
Told her start the car every day for a week let it run (remote start from her apartment window) allow it to run until times out and shuts off. She did that then went back to the normal run it once a week grocery run. Well might know it calls again tells me car won't start again.
I told her have the system and battery tested let me know the outcome, she does nothing found wrong with it. They fully charged the battery while they had it (not very far from her, they come and get the car bring it back to her when done with it "no charge" as a service).

Ok thinking it will be ok now but sure enough get a call few days later won't start. I told her to call them and have em warranty out the battery. They come and get the car and test it refuse to change the battery "nothing wrong with it, must be the car" but can't find anything actually wrong with it.

I told her just have them bring the car back and not to do a thing to it I wanna look at it. Keep in mind I tested it every time I gave it a jump, meter show near 14 volts car running after jump but only like 8 from the battery before the jump.

Let it go one more time and told her if it won't start one more time I'm just gonna get another battery. Sure enough the call comes, I drove down there stopping at napa on my way by. 100 bucks again later has a new battery in it again, I have not had to drive down give it a jump since.

Here's that interstate right here,

sitting out in the awning "new" used about a month (if you can call it that) and useless.
I'm not arguing with the idiot sold it to her its not worth the time and or high blood pressure. Was easier to just buy her a new one and move on with life. Beside most they do is just give her another "interstate" anyway.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Suburban_B_Gone
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Any suggestions other than Interstate or Exide
What about Odyssey batteries?

ODYSSEY Batteries - Official Manufacturer's Site

They seem to be very specialized.

-JR

Old 12-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by CJM8515
^ Theres 3 different napas here and not a single one carries exide anymore or has such a setup. Must be your place only.
Ditto. Mine must make more off Interstates because they push them instead of their own NAPA batteries which are made by DEKA

Old 12-13-2011, 01:29 PM
thechief66
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
The original Motorcraft battery in my '96 lasted 14 years and 9 months.
I have a Motorcraft in my Jeep that's over 10 years old.
I won't use anything else anymore.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:18 PM
IowanStraight6
Elder User
We where laughing because the NAPA delivery man showed us and not a NAPA store around the area has one its a new "option for display" and it looks like the interstate you show in the picture is a I not a MT or MTP the I is bottom line

Old 12-13-2011, 04:04 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by HAWK34
I will probably get laughed off this website, but I have an Advanced Auto Titanium I bought in April of 2003 still in my '97 F250HD. I have played my stereo (Pioneer w/ amp + 10" subs) for hours at a time at softball tourneys over the years, and have never had any start up issues.
........... of course, after this post, I will probably be needing a jump start now in the morning .............

Hawk
the po of my truck put those in, and iv been running them trouble free for a couple yrs now with the diesel engine.they are made by Johnson Controls.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:30 PM
redmondjp
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been doing some battery manufacturer research lately as I am going to switch over to a Group 31 in my truck. I'm probably going to get a Deka 7T31 which is a true commercial-truck battery that has double-insulated separators (which is to resist shock and vibration-related damage to the battery plates, important to me in my spine-jangling F350). This battery is also available through Oreilly's (relabeled of course) which is local to me. But back to the story . . .

Most of the battery trade names mentioned in this thread so far are made by Johnson Controls Inc or JCI (who also now owns Optima as well). I found the be-all, end-all battery manufacturer and brand name website that tells which manufacturers make what brands. It can be a bit confusing, as multiple manufacturers may make batteries which are sold by the same retailer - example, Sears DieHard.

So read and enjoy: Battery Manufacturers and Brand Names List

Oh, and why am I big on getting a commercial-duty Group 31 battery? Well, I have had the same one (a GNB brand made in 1996) in my 1979 Chevrolet pickup since I bought it in 1998, and only now it is finally giving up the ghost (still starts OK, but it self-discharges a lot quicker than before so I have it on a trickle charger now). That's 13 years of use on the same battery!

Old 12-13-2011, 06:46 PM
thechief66
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by redmondjp
Oh, and why am I big on getting a commercial-duty Group 31 battery? Well, I have had the same one (a GNB brand made in 1996) in my 1979 Chevrolet pickup since I bought it in 1998, and only now it is finally giving up the ghost (still starts OK, but it self-discharges a lot quicker than before so I have it on a trickle charger now). That's 13 years of use on the same battery!
Still got ya beat!

Old 12-13-2011, 08:18 PM
GHeTTo JOe
Elder User
hey danr1 that date code almost looks like a 9 on that battery? maybe i cant see it clearly enough tho. kinda curious how old it is as they did not date code it when it was sold.

hey Diesel_Brad how long has your current battery lasted? what is it? what didn't you like about it?

Old 12-13-2011, 08:46 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by GHeTTo JOe
hey danr1 that date code almost looks like a 9 on that battery? maybe i cant see it clearly enough tho. kinda curious how old it is as they did not date code it when it was sold.

hey Diesel_Brad how long has your current battery lasted? what is it? what didn't you like about it?
Nope they didn't lift out the date when they installed it. I wiped the dust off the top of it to check before taking the pic see if they did, I wanted that to show in the picture. She'd have a receipt so wouldn't matter as far as that goes.
It'd be right around 10 months past right now, was in the car total under a month. It was just about this time last fall when it was bought then had to be re-replaced.
I dumped it there out of the back of the truck when I got home, was hashing over what do with it, been sitting there since then obviously didn't do nothing with it!

It'll get used as a core at some point probably, I always end up with a core or two laying around (one next to it for example).

Old 12-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Thumper19
Elder User
I had the deka 9a31 and switched to the 9a78dt. Both very great batteries and I use nothing but deka/eastpenn brand batts. Having my truck sit for months at a time I can still go out and start it when the weather is nice. I also have a kill switch too so nothing is draining the batt while in the truck.

Can buy most Dekas here
Deka Intimidator 9A7T Battery | Absorbed Glass Mat Battery - Remy Battery

Quick Reply: Which battery