1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ordering a 2012--advice on options please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 01:26 PM
MKRemi
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ordering a 2012--advice on options please!

Hi all! I am almost ready to order a truck. I'm hoping y'all could offer some advice as to the particular options for what I need it to do.

I need it to carry a slide-in camper. Not a big one, and not all the time. Under 3000lbs wet and loaded. Need 4 wheel drive, but don't expect it to do major off roading. Want to be able to go over mountain passes while carrying a camper without having to get in the slow lane with the big rigs. We need a crew cab and short bed. (Spouse, dog, 2 kids, short garage.) And diesel. SRW.

So, I'm thinking 350 over 250 because the price difference is small. The ride is comfortable enough, so why not? (Is there any reason to go 250 over 350?)

3.31 or 3.35 axle ratio, non-limited slip or electronic? Pretty much a noob here and not sure what I need--no towing (or extremely light towing) but big payload, mild off road driving, occasional snow. Prefer better economy while loaded. Any recommendations?

Dual alternators? Heavy duty alternator? I'm just taking it camping and to the hardware store. Do I need this stuff?

And why aren't there any good colors?

I appreciate any assistance. I have a feeling it won't make much difference what I order and it'll just feel like a big truck and perform well regardless, but I gotta try!

Old 12-20-2011, 02:33 PM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Since you know you are going to haul a camper at least some of the time I would go with the F350 with the camper package. Limited slip rear at a minimum and Electronic Locking prefered. I think you will be fine with either axle, but I would go with the 3.35 probably. I would also go at least for the Heavy duty alternator....
You will be happy with it no doubt!

I personally love the Bronze/Adobe 2 tone....
But I am still several years out on a new truck.
Enjoy.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:30 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SD350 for you. Power Stroke 6.7! Electronic differentials give you the best of both worlds. Power telescoping heated mirrors are nice though I think thats part of the Camper package. The towing package is nice as well because all the trailer hook-ups you'll ever need are factory wired in no splicing involved down the road. I really dig the lift assist tail gate. I have the bed extender with the short box too. Allows for a full sheet of plywood to fit with out the 8 foot box. Dual zone heat keeps the passenger happy. The aux switches on the dash allow for quick hook up of 12 volt accessories like a CB etc...Hill Descent Control is cool. I dont know how deep your pockets are but the Lariat & King Ranch offers alot of this as standard equipment. If you havent done so already Grab a dealer brochure and CD. As for color I'm a Black, Red, Silver person who said I'd never own a Blue truck but as you can see by my avitar that didnt work out well. Oh and lastly step up on the tire options. The better tires will last longer.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:40 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You can download a 2012 order guide here.

Definitely go 350, you might want to get a set of air bags as well, will help keep the truck level/stable when loaded.

Your gear ratio will be dependent on what wheel/tire combo you want to go with. Regardless of the ratio, the 6.7 will tear out from underneath your camper, so strap it down good.

I had no problem finding a color, but to each his own.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:12 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
F350, trailer tow package and the camper package if you can get both.

Go with the snow plow prep so you get the heavier springs up front.

Camper package may already make that change though

Old 12-20-2011, 06:28 PM
MKRemi
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys! I'm taking notes.

Wait--the dealer has brochures and CDs? My dealer said "we don't have any brochures because everyone uses the internet". I might need to go a few more miles and visit another one. The order guide is good!

We'll probably have to get a Lariat because we're a little too messy for cloth seats (I didn't see a vinyl seat option except in the XL which might be too spartan). (At this point I have to do a shoutout to the Best Western in Yreka, CA, where the night staff will generously loan you cleaning supplies after your kid barfs in the car.)

So all the beefy packages possible. K. Do I want the 10,000 GVWR option? (Is that just a fake option for cheaper registration?)

Is the integrated trailer brake controller any good? I'm sure it'll end up being in some package I'll get but if by some chance it isn't, is it worth getting? (I do actually HAVE a trailer but it's too easy to tow to mention other than the brake controller.)

Dual zone heat is nice--I'm wondering about the duct to the back seat. It looks like it's only available with the bucket seats in front due to the ductwork going through the console. I really don't want the middle console but if it keeps the rear passengers quiet it might be worth the sacrifice. I have similar ducting in my '08 Edge and it's not very good. On the other hand, a six-passenger vehicle was one of the justifications for this purchase and I like being able to exit either door without climbing over things.

I like the aux switches. Could have used those when I was a teenager but maybe will find a use with a camper.

I'd prefer those obnoxious colors they put on Focuses (Foci?) but I guess I can always get another black one.

Is there no fuel tank size upgrade? It's just based on wheelbase and engine and you'd better like it?

Sometimes I wish I was back in Texas where you could go to a dealer and they'd actually KNOW about trucks. (Then summer comes and I get over it.) It is bad when as clueless as I am, I'm as knowledgeable as the salesman.