1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My lil' F250 Project.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 04:34 PM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Makes sence

Yes after I posted that, I figured it was something like that...

Porosity... that was the answer I was looking for BTW... Mark

Old 12-19-2011, 11:33 AM
SlickYamaha
Senior User
Originally Posted by miller_feed
That is a good looking truck.

I would take the ball hitch off the back if that is how you always park. I would hate to see someone hit their leg on it, then key your truck. People just don't look when walking while on the phone.
Haha, na, that is the wifes car goes 99% of the time. We live in a town house, we have two parking spots, one is for her CRV, the other is for my motorcycle. I park the truck curbside across the street. I only put it in the spot to wash it.

... I have thought about putting a smaller hitch on it though. I got that one mainly to keep people who may rear end me from doing to much damage.

... on a side note about that, whats a good way to get a ball off the hitch? I have had that ball on for way too long, and now she is just rusted solid on there. I have soaked it in WD, but no luck. The ball will spin when you turn the nut, but wont come loose. I have tried holding the ball solid with a plumbers wrench, then putting a breaker bar on the nut and giving it a good wack, but still no dice... Im thinking of just getting a new one and tossing that one...

Old 12-19-2011, 11:35 AM
BCM
More Turbo

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SlickYamaha
... I have thought about putting a smaller hitch on it though. I got that one mainly to keep people who may rear end me from doing to much damage.
Wow. Is getting rear-ended a common problem in your area?

Old 12-19-2011, 12:31 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haha, na, that is the wifes car goes 99% of the time. We live in a town house, we have two parking spots, one is for her CRV, the other is for my motorcycle. I park the truck curbside across the street. I only put it in the spot to wash it.

... on a side note about that, whats a good way to get a ball off the hitch? I have had that ball on for way too long, and now she is just rusted solid on there. I have soaked it in WD, but no luck. The ball will spin when you turn the nut, but wont come loose. I have tried holding the ball solid with a plumbers wrench, then putting a breaker bar on the nut and giving it a good wack, but still no dice... Im thinking of just getting a new one and tossing that one...
Put heat on the nut and a big ars wrench while holding backup with a 24" pipe wrench. May take a 36".

Old 12-20-2011, 11:38 AM
SlickYamaha
Senior User
Originally Posted by BCM
Wow. Is getting rear-ended a common problem in your area?
Not "common" but it only takes once.

But like I said, if I cant get it off, ill probably just get a new one. The adjustable height ones are nice, but they are $100+ . I dont need anything that massive, really just for hauling light tractors, motorcycle trailer, etc..

Old 12-29-2011, 09:01 PM
SlickYamaha
Senior User
Update:
Ordered some new parts, waiting for a few others. Going to try to take advantage of having off Monday and put in...
-Under Cover Swingcase Bed box
-Bestop Trek Step
-Backup camera with 3.5 screen
-Window Shades
-SUPER DUTY Tailgate Lettering
-Sylvania Ultra bulbs
-2.5 Lift Kit
-Recon Tailgate Brake Bar
-Bed Anchor Points

Pics to follow...

Old 12-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Some very nice mods you got coming up there. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:46 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
that truck looks sharp cant wait to see the mods! let me know what you think of the swing case i was thinking about getting one for my truck as well!

Old 12-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts
I used to think leaving the hitch in would protect my truck too. Until an idiot hit my old truck and instead of bending just the bumper, my frame needed straitened, hitch replaced as well as a few other misc. parts. Take it out. And to get the ball off use pipe wrenches with 3' long pieces of pipe (steel prefered) slipped over the end for leverage even 1 1/2" PVC will work if you keep your hands back near the ends away from the actaul wrenches to prevent injury in the event of a break and always wear leather gloves. I have put some pretty good torque on PVC pipe like this and rarely break it, but be careful it can happen and it will cut the hell outta ya. Or just pitch it, but the landfills are filling up, not to be a tree hugger or anything. Heck scrap it. hahaha.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:38 AM
FordGuy85
Elder User
For that ball. If you are by yur self, you might want to take the hitch out of the t ruk, put the ball in a vise w/ soft jaws (brass). If u got it. Then get like a 3 foot cheater bar on it.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:25 AM
SlickYamaha
Senior User
Originally Posted by Quad Racer
my frame needed straitened, hitch replaced as well as a few other misc. parts. .
Thats a good point, I guess if hit hard enough it could cause more damage than good. I was thinking more like parking lot grannies who pull up to far, and dont even know they bumped you.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:29 AM
SlickYamaha
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordGuy85
For that ball. If you are by yur self, you might want to take the hitch out of the t ruk, put the ball in a vise w/ soft jaws (brass). If u got it. Then get like a 3 foot cheater bar on it.
I will try that. Any good ways of keeping them from locking up in the future? just remove them every now and then I guess? The problem is the ball thats on there is for my motorcycle trailer, which I use 99% of the time, I almost never have to change it, so it gets left on there and then im screwed... It has a crush washer on there, think if i put a little anti seize on the threads it would help, or just come loose by itself?

Old 12-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts
Thats a good point, I guess if hit hard enough it could cause more damage than good. I was thinking more like parking lot grannies who pull up to far, and dont even know they bumped you.

Yeah that makes sense. Maybe without it they'd drive right under the truck. haha. I'd pay to see the look on the face of a driver who drove into the hitch and gouged a rip into thier front end or hood. And ontop of that have to pay for a scratch on my hitch. haha.

Nice list of mods. I have the tailgate lettering and I really like the way it looks. I'm not sure how familiar you are with applying graffics but, use the soapy water method those stickers are very sticky. Mine came with 2 sets, Im not sure why and cant figure where else to stick em. I want the glove box ones also.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:05 PM
SlickYamaha
Senior User
Originally Posted by Quad Racer
I'm not sure how familiar you are with applying graffics but, use the soapy water method those stickers are very sticky. Mine came with 2 sets, Im not sure why and cant figure where else to stick em. I want the glove box ones also.
I would PM you, but it might be useful to someone else in the future... whats the best way to apply these? i was going to do the soapy water method for sure, but just to make sure, just lightly apply, put the stickers on, and squeegee out right? How about longevity? I HATE putting stickers on my paint, windows are one thing, but paint, no way. So Im really scared to do this at all, how do they hold up over time? still good look to them?

I figure worst case scenario, in 2 years, i just buy another set and re apply over the first.. .

Old 01-08-2012, 04:40 PM
SlickYamaha
Senior User
Newest additions to the truck
Recon tail lights, recon turn signals, Undercover bed box, AVS window visors, bed tie down anchors

Sorry, cell phone pics..

Holds a ton!

Still easily opens even when the bed cover is closed

Quick Reply: My lil' F250 Project.