1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

IRS, IFS installed on my 50 Merc

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Drewsc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IRS, IFS installed on my 50 Merc

Hey guy's, figured I would share an update on my 50 Merc build.
So far I have been able to mock up the mustang II ifs from Chassis Engineering. It's the bolt in kit.
Also I have installed a complete IRS from a 93 Lincoln Mark VIII. I removed the assembly from the Lincoln, sand blasted everything, replaced a few bushings and painted/cleared the whole thing. I bought the IRS kit from
Dave Held at Team 322IRS. His kit is great and I would recomend it if anyone is thinking of installing one of these IRS systems. I am only a beginner when it comes to build this truck and I found it fairly easy to install. It is only tacked in place just to make sure I had the measurements correctly and it will get fully welded in this weekend. I also ordered the air bags for the rear so I will have bags in the rear for now and may put some in the front at some point. Still lots to do, but what do you think so far?
Thanks
Drew

I do have a few holes to patch in the fram that I found when I removed the original spring mounts.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
K that looks sweet. Really making it hard for me to go back to work. I just want to go to the wreckers, find a rear end, pick up the truck and get going now!!!!. Keep it up. Look forward to seeing the finished project.
remi

Old 12-01-2011, 03:09 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Drew,
I look at that rear end you've got there & I feel totally inadequate - I've got like a little 8.8 inch axle from an explorer in there with a couple of shockabsorbers. What is all that extra stuff you have going on back there? You have a big black square metal deal & then even more metal stuff over by the wheels - Wow that's impressive. Is all that Lincoln rear suspension or is it a kit you put on there?

Ben in Austin

Old 12-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Drewsc
Junior User
Hi Ben, thanks for the compliments. It is a complete IRS assembly from a 93 Lincoln Mark VIII. I was going to use a 9" in the rear but had the car to use the motor and tranny for the truck. I saw a few guy's on here using the IRS from the TBirds which is basically the same so I did some searching and came across the Team 321IRS kits and contacted Dave. He hooked me up with the kit and it was that simple. Truck will have 4 wheel disc brakes and 4 wheel independant susp. It's my first attempt so learning as I go but I have enjoed it so far. I know other guys have done it differntly and they turned out greta too. I just felt it was easier for me to order the kit and weld it up.

Drew

Old 12-01-2011, 03:32 PM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Nice work Drew. The install kit from Dave @ 321 IRS really is a time saver. I like the way everything fits. I'm anxious to get mine done so I can have some fun. What wheel do you have? Are they 5 on 4 1/4?

"Happiness: 3 pedals and a 5 Speed"

Old 12-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Drewsc
Junior User
Yeah, the bolt pattern is 5x4 1/4. The rim is one from one of my old SC's.
I will have to change it over eventually.
I think you will be happy with the kit.

Drew

Old 12-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
What did you use for the fuel tank. I see where 48 Steel used the comanchee tank. Quite a few of them around here still. I wanted to look a little closer to a custom tank so I could use the old filler and see if there was anywhere to mount the tank up closer to the cab. Still it doesnt hurt to have a plan B or C or .... you get the message.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Drewsc
Junior User
I haven't tackled the fuel tank yet. I pitched the stock one when I started the build and remeber seeing someone using the jeep tank but I could not remember who it was. I think space is limited but my biggest hurdle will be using the stock fuel pump/sender from the Mark VIII for the 4.6. Its one of those things I just hope will work out somehow.

Drew

Old 12-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah that looks great! I was going to put a t-bird irs in mine and gave up when I couldn't find any reasonable hubs/rotors that were 5x4.5 or 5x 4.75.
Nobody around here would redrill them due to liability, so it went to china.
Those Cobra mustang hubs were what I was looking at and they are not cheap!
Looks like you might be able to get pretty low with airbags!

Old 12-01-2011, 09:06 PM
ZFLASH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Drew, sweet job, wondering if you have the web site for the rear kit? I'm looking of doing the Vette IRS and wanted to compare prices to what I've already found. Thanks in advance, L8R ZFLASH

Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The website for Dave is Team321 LLC Ford Truck Independent Rear Suspension (321)960-5945 dheld@cfl.rr.com. I put the same IRS with his kit under my bump. Drew make sure you have your axle where you want it. Something I came across when doing the install was Dave's example install gives the dimension from the rear of the frame to the start of the 1 3/4" cut. We discussed it and came to the conclusion a better way to locate the rear mounts is from the centerline of the axle back. That dimension is 14.5". The 14.5" rearward from the axle centerline works on all vehicles. My truck is a SWB and just so happens the dimension from the rear of the frame to the cut is exactly what Dave lists on his site.

For those interested I have a complete install thread here:

F100 IRS install - Truck Forums at Truckin Magazine Magazine

I have copies of this thread on other sites so if anyone has problems with this one just let me know. By the way you are going to love the ride of the IRS plus the handling. I have taken mine through curves that I had to back away from because I was nervous. You just don't drive an old truck that fast through curves. My wife was following me one day and we entered the s curve near where we store it for the winter. She said I was at 65 when I went into the curve and I accelerated while driving in the curves. It was stuck to the road like glue. I could have easily done the same s curve at 100+.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:08 AM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by elgemcdlf
The website for Dave is Team321 LLC Ford Truck Independent Rear Suspension (321)960-5945 dheld@cfl.rr.com. I put the same IRS with his kit under my bump. Drew make sure you have your axle where you want it. Something I came across when doing the install was Dave's example install gives the dimension from the rear of the frame to the start of the 1 3/4" cut. We discussed it and came to the conclusion a better way to locate the rear mounts is from the centerline of the axle back. That dimension is 14.5". The 14.5" rearward from the axle centerline works on all vehicles. My truck is a SWB and just so happens the dimension from the rear of the frame to the cut is exactly what Dave lists on his site.

For those interested I have a complete install thread here:

F100 IRS install - Truck Forums at Truckin Magazine Magazine

I have copies of this thread on other sites so if anyone has problems with this one just let me know. By the way you are going to love the ride of the IRS plus the handling. I have taken mine through curves that I had to back away from because I was nervous. You just don't drive an old truck that fast through curves. My wife was following me one day and we entered the s curve near where we store it for the winter. She said I was at 65 when I went into the curve and I accelerated while driving in the curves. It was stuck to the road like glue. I could have easily done the same s curve at 100+.

Great information link. Back when I installed my IRS I contacted Dave about what shocks he used and I think that they are too soft so I will change them out for what you used. I will also be changing out to get the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:27 AM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish I would have shopped a bit more and found a unit with discs but it's an easy swap. Local Pick A Part has a good supply of the rears with discs. I plan on grabbing spindles and all including parking brake cables then swap out hubs and rotors to get the larger bolt circle. If anybody knows the different tag codes for ratios I would love a list of them. I believe mine has 3.08's. I have read the Super Coupes came with as low as 3.85's. Ideal situation - A Lincoln pig with 3.85's. Get the alum housing pig and the lower gears.

Heavy duty axles shafts are available that are rated at up to 650hp. You can also get aftermarket sway bars that are heavier than the stock from Addco (not sure on the spelling there). Powerblock did a show on building a TBird where they built an auxillary pig support that moves the mount from the alum cover to the housing itself. It is still mounted with the cover but the aux support moves the stress of mounting to the main housing. Clear as mud yet?

Old 12-02-2011, 11:06 AM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Old 12-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Lug pattern

How do you go about changing the 5 x4.25 lug pattern to 5 x 4.5. I know there's kits as mentioned earlier but how about any other ways. Can you change spindles or anything and if you can what vehicles work for a donor.

Quick Reply: IRS, IFS installed on my 50 Merc