1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

HID conversion for bullnose trucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:28 AM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I ever get around to doing HIDs, I'd be after whatever color gives the most light and makes things stand out the most.....though a little bit of a blue color to the light would look cool. Just a little bit. hehe.

I remember reading in an old Jeep magazine years ago about some LED headlights. They had them in the 7? inch round size to fit Jeeps, don't know if they made ones to fit our trucks though. Haven't found anything on Google so far about it.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What you can do is get the Hella type halogen conversion housings, then get the matching LED bulbs, they can be very very bright.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:50 PM
TheKirbyMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where can I find those LED bulbs?

Old 12-02-2011, 03:30 AM
351M
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are these the round ones you were talking about?

Welcome to LEDHeadlamps.com

Looks cool but being from trucklite I don't expect we will see them for our trucks anytime soon as there aren't many applications for them other than older light/medium duty trucks anymore.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:40 AM
Archion
Postmaster
First thing you need is housings like these, I prefer the Hella brand, but I hear the LMC ones are good to.

LMC Truck Parts - Page 66

and then something like this, depending on which bulb # the housings take.

9004 102 SMD Bright Light LED Headlight Fog Lamp 12V Car Bulb 2 PCS

Old 12-02-2011, 09:51 AM
GroundPilot
Freshman User
I'm definitely no expert but I thought the problem with LED is that the light from them diffuses rapidly. I would think that the LED wouldn't "throw" the light as far as HID, or halogen for that matter.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Archion
Postmaster
That might explain why I've never actually seen them in use AS headlights, a lot of driving lights and DTRL.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Eightyfive Flareside
Senior User
Originally Posted by GroundPilot
I'm definitely no expert but I thought the problem with LED is that the light from them diffuses rapidly. I would think that the LED wouldn't "throw" the light as far as HID, or halogen for that matter.
exactly, they diffuse very quickly. Thats why most newer cars run them as just the DRLs, or marker lights, because they dont throw enough light down range to see very far.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:44 PM
351M
Posting Guru
It can be done just not with the lights posted above. I have seen them in action in a '96 Chev pickup as hi beams, they are useless. If you ever get a chance to see the Vision X LED off road light bars in action on the other hand, they are a pretty amazing light. Umm when I say see them in action I mean in person, video really doesnt seem to cut it.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:19 AM
00Boss
Elder User
I did go ahead and buy them and will post bout their performance once I get home and install them. I have heard bout the hi/low beam dilemma and figure these aint bad priced so ill give them a shot... If they work Ill recommend them but if the hi/lows work funny youll all know. If they dont work Ill have parts for makin my own system. I was also plannin on combinin the lmc headlight harness with these to get the best out of them. Some of the trucks the Army uses now have LED headlights and they work for small distances.... Good for use when your drivin through a dust cloud but for everyday civilian drivin Id see them as insufficient.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:54 PM
00Boss
Elder User
I got HOME the other day after a trip to CO and SD. I took a look at the HIDs I ordered and am impressed. The H4 model is one of the HI/LOW units not the single beam units like many thought. There are a couple spots where the lenses didnt seal completely so I should re"cook" the lenses but thats all Iv noticed. There is a small blue bulb in the lenses that are not in the instructions, Im not sure how important these bulbs are bein that the lenses came with normal xenon bulbs pre-installed. Anyone know bout these small blues?

Old 01-22-2012, 08:59 PM
kenball1980
New User
I think I know the headlights you are talking about, are they 7x6 and have a small projector lens sticking out from the reflector about 2 inches? They also have a little blue bulb in the housing called a "city light" If they are the ones you're talking you will hate them. I had a pair of them and even with the brightest hid bulbs I could find, I could only see 5 feet in front of my truck, they disperse the light everywhere but where they should be. What I ended up doing is baking those headlights in the oven, taking the lens off the housing, bought a set of fxr projectors off ebay, cut the back out of the housing, to accept the projector, bolted and siliconed them together, siliconed the lens back on then covered the projector sticking out of the back with 4" pvc pipe and cap, and had to cut out some of the housing where you mount the headlight to accept the whole thing. Very tedious process but well worth it, it's like broad daylight in front of me now. Worth its weight in gold!!

Old 01-22-2012, 09:07 PM
kenball1980
New User
And the FXR's I got have a cover attached to a solenoid, that act as a high beam. Regular driving the cover is closed, giving you a sharp cut off line, so you're not blinding oncoming drivers. Wire the solenoid to a toggle swich, and when you want high beams, the cover opens and let all the light out, acting as your high beam. It works very well. I don't know what year your truck is, but I also had to incorporate a relay harness to my headlights because of voltage drop. The older ones didn't have relays and you lost about 20% of your voltage in the length of the wires. Now when I hit my headlight switch it closes the relay and lets current flow to my headlights straight from my battery. All in all, it was about 8 hours of work, $200 in parts, but well worth it!!

Old 01-22-2012, 10:31 PM
351M
Posting Guru
00Boss, what lenses did you get? They aren't the H4 "Projector" lenses are they?

I just picked up a DDM Raptor 55w 4500k bixenon kit for my Vision X H4 lenses.

Once the truck is painted and assembled I'll post pics of the cutoff etc. From testing them in the house it looks like a fairly flat clean cut, couple little flairs above that are normal even with the 90w/130w H4s that normally reside in them, probably due to them being DOT lenses instead of E-codes.

Hopefully by the middle of next week it will be done.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:56 AM
00Boss
Elder User
Kenball I think you hit it right on the nose. These lenses werent made for the HIDs so I can see how theyd be inadequate. Is there a bolt in projector worth a dam? I have an 85 but I will still be doin the low-resistance relay kit from LMC before its all done. Did you fill the hole for the blue bulb or did you remove it for the FXRs?

351M the H4s are the HIDs themselves. The lenses were a whole other kit that was included with the deal.

Quick Reply: HID conversion for bullnose trucks