1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1955 F-100 IFS Choice

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 07:45 PM
ungerp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1955 F-100 IFS Choice

Well I have come to the point that I feel I need to jetison the Volare front end from my 55 F-100 and move to the Mustang II IFS. Reasons are, due to the large steering gear, the previous fabricators welded motor mounts for the 429 Ford on top of the Volare wishbone if you will and I cannot get rid of this via new mounts with the existing steering gear. Additionally, the Volare frontend was not properly installed to begin with, so I feel it is better to cut is out and start fresh.

My choice so far looks like a unit from Speedway Motors with stock control arms, spindles, coilover shocks and power rack. Additionally, I will need the crossmember to weld in and the frame boxing plates. This setup seems relatively reasonable at just over $1600, vice some of ther other options. With this I will also need the new engine mounts to hold this monster which will correct many problems.

Three questions: Am I moving in the right direction and should I consider other options? Can someone tell me what kind of ride height I will be expeciting with this setup. I am going with stock spindles, since I don't want to have it too low. I know they wanted to know front end weight to figure spring rate of 1700lbs = 400 and 1800lbs =425 spring rates. I figure if I advise them of engines size etc, they should be able to assist with these rate selections.

Thanks,
Pat

Old 11-28-2011, 08:01 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I am on my phone at the moment, but have just done this change. Search for volare hack

Sam

Old 11-28-2011, 08:23 PM
ungerp
Senior User
Just looked at the pictures you posted. Thank God, the fabricator that installed my frontend wasn't so intrusive on the frame, so I won't have so much to repair.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:31 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by ungerp
Just looked at the pictures you posted. Thank God, the fabricator that installed my frontend wasn't so intrusive on the frame, so I won't have so much to repair.
so yours was installed even more poorly?

the cuts to install properly are pretty extensive.

here is my green truck frame with the volare templates in position.
the metal below the template is to be cut out, and after the cut

my green truck has a 460 over the volare..

Sam

Attached Images   
Old 11-28-2011, 09:37 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

also, here is where I got my MII kit..

MUSTANG II FRONT END SUSPENSION 1948 - 1952 FORD TRUCK | eBay

if not TCI/Heidts/No Limit.. then $400 difference might be important.

this is the 48-51 kit, but they will make one for the 53-56 for the same price. and u can mix/match.. if u want coilovers, tell them..

Sam

Old 11-28-2011, 09:46 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you are not wanting to scrape the ground there is always the '03-'11 Crown Vic swap. You can do the entire swap for under $1000. That includes 1 1/2" drop springs from Eaton Detroit. You pick up pwr rack, 12" rotors, dual piston calipers & handling pkg. Seems like this swap is most popular with bumps so that is where you will probably find the most info. You literally could do the swap in a weekend with exception of your Volare woes. Don't know why folks went with that. It was a poor suspension to start with. Every Volare I ever drove was sloppy loose up front. Just always had a loose feeling to it & rode rough for what it was.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:03 PM
ungerp
Senior User
Sam,
Thanks for the link, any savings is great. I am going to be way over budget as it is, so any savings is great. I will look into the kit for a 55.

Pat

Old 11-28-2011, 11:27 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by elgemcdlf
Since you are not wanting to scrape the ground there is always the '03-'11 Crown Vic swap. You can do the entire swap for under $1000. That includes 1 1/2" drop springs from Eaton Detroit. You pick up pwr rack, 12" rotors, dual piston calipers & handling pkg. Seems like this swap is most popular with bumps so that is where you will probably find the most info. You literally could do the swap in a weekend with exception of your Volare woes. Don't know why folks went with that. It was a poor suspension to start with. Every Volare I ever drove was sloppy loose up front. Just always had a loose feeling to it & rode rough for what it was.
Cause 25 years ago it was a decent choice. No Crown Vic existed at the time.

12yrs ago for me it was a less expensive approach

Sam

Old 11-29-2011, 06:07 AM
mstng5point0
Junior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
also, here is where I got my MII kit..

MUSTANG II FRONT END SUSPENSION 1948 - 1952 FORD TRUCK | eBay

if not TCI/Heidts/No Limit.. then $400 difference might be important.

this is the 48-51 kit, but they will make one for the 53-56 for the same price. and u can mix/match.. if u want coilovers, tell them..

Sam
How do you like the suspension so far? Did the install go easy and everything seem like good quality parts? Im trying to get my chassis set up now and am looking into ifs. I was mostly looking into Mustang II IFS front suspension, Hub to Hub IFS, tubular control arms, crossmembers

But am always looking for less expensive ways to make it work.
Thanks Bill.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:39 AM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sdetweil
Cause 25 years ago it was a decent choice. No Crown Vic existed at the time.

12yrs ago for me it was a less expensive approach

Sam
I guess it's a matter or preference. I remember the Volare craze & when I looked at how intrusive it was I was thinking a clip can be done for the same amount if not less work. My thoughts back then were LTD clips. Camaro and Nova would be decent choices as well. I was building a '61 Unibody back then and looked at the Volare swap. Another reasonably popular back then and a bolt in was the Corvair IFS but it was way too light for a pickup although quite a few folks used them.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:50 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Pat

here's some more info that might help you decide... I had the same interference problems and finally fired up the plasma cutter...

Sam can give you better info on the ride height... my engine is not installed over the MII yet.

Removing A Volare Clip and Installing a Mustang II IFS Unit by John Niolon

MII UPGRADE...LATEST STUFF

a 460/429 fully dressed with overcoat and change in it's pockets will be 750-800#s depending on A/C or not... it isn't a light engine... I think my front springs are 450# All the shops and vendors recommend "V-8" springs which I've never figured out what they are... I'd rather have too much than not enough...

later
john

Old 11-29-2011, 07:44 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by mstng5point0
How do you like the suspension so far? Did the install go easy and everything seem like good quality parts? Im trying to get my chassis set up now and am looking into ifs. I was mostly looking into Mustang II IFS front suspension, Hub to Hub IFS, tubular control arms, crossmembers

But am always looking for less expensive ways to make it work.
Thanks Bill.
I previously purchased and installed a TCI suspension thru the same vendor. It was drop shipped directly from TCI. Packaging and parts are nearly identical.

the sway bar is forward facing here, vs rearward on the TCI. (and I have to move it to the front for engine clearance on the TCI setup).

I liked the finish of the cross member here vs the TCI.. altho the TCI had an oil pan notch I ended up adding to this one.

the brake and rotor parts are the same. the arms are slightly different.. but for the lower price these were power coated while the TCI arms were not (and are surface rusted now).

the steering rack is the same, TCI sends special ball joints with extended threads (hard to find when u have to replace them when they wear out) This kit has the threaded extensions and uses stock ball joints.. so a tiny bit more work to setup and at ball joint replacement time. (but its labor, not parts availability).

So, net.. pretty much the same, better in a couple spots.

Sam

Old 11-29-2011, 07:48 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by elgemcdlf
I guess it's a matter or preference. I remember the Volare craze & when I looked at how intrusive it was I was thinking a clip can be done for the same amount if not less work. My thoughts back then were LTD clips. Camaro and Nova would be decent choices as well. I was building a '61 Unibody back then and looked at the Volare swap. Another reasonably popular back then and a bolt in was the Corvair IFS but it was way too light for a pickup although quite a few folks used them.
the clip replacement for a beginner is scary.. WAY beyond my initial skills..
I was try to do this on the cheap, and hiring someone to hack off and weld on a new clip was outside my fund and risk range.
(I also don't like the upper A arm intrusion into the engine bay on these particular clips)..
The volare is fairly Low risk, and a reasonable solution.

I think the Crown Vic is interesting, but a little wide, which forces some ugly wheel choices.. but certainly less mechanical/technical skills even than the Volare..

Sam

Old 11-29-2011, 08:29 AM
ungerp
Senior User
Checking with Fatrodder from the link you sent Sam and seeing what they can do for me. I will check with the other guys from Full Tilt, but it looks like they offer basically the same system.
Thanks
Pat

Old 11-29-2011, 10:09 AM
skuzzel_butt
Junior User
As far as spring rates, on my 55 I have Chevelle clip with qa1 coil overs with a 302. I tried small block springs 450 lb first and it sat way too low with the coil overs adjusted all the way up. So I changed to big block springs 550 lb and it sits perfect with them adjusted right in the middle.

Joe

Quick Reply: 1955 F-100 IFS Choice