Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 302 MAF and engine upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:03 PM
middletonford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 302 MAF and engine upgrades

I have been doing a lot of searching but seem to keep finding different answers. I have a 93 with a 302 with an E4OD. I converted it last year to MAF from I believe was a 94 truck. Only OBDI, so I guess it could have been 95. Anyway my truck has 180K on it and it's getting tired. I am currently building a roller motor to put in it. To keep money down as much as possible I went to the pull it yard today and got a cam out of a 94. I also have an 89 mustang torn down right now. Looking at the cams they seem exactly the same. does the 94 truck have the same firing order as the HO motors. I thought all the truck 302's used the older firing order. If so how does my 93 truck run when I didn't do anything about the firing order. I just put in the harness and computer and she fired right up. Maybe it should be running a lot better?

Old 11-22-2011, 08:27 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had to read your post a few times to understand what you were saying.
Did you just take the cam out of a 94 or what did you get at the junkyard.
Are you referring to a roller cam setup (cam lifters dogbones and spider)
Comparing that cam to the roller cam from a mustang it should "look" the same, but if measuring it will be very different.
I can't remember what year but I thought the trucks and vans swapped to the "ho" or 351 firing order. But if not then all you need to do is use the firing order from the cam you're using and then make sure your injector wire also gets swapped as well.
You could use the stock mustang cam if you want. Or get an efi compatible cam for better low end made for a truck. I've used some fairly aggressive cams with stock efi. I think you'll be just fine as long as you done get too crazy.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:35 PM
middletonford
New User
Sorry to be confusing...what I was trying to ge at was I am to believe my truck has the 154... firing order, it's a 93 non HO. The HO has the 137.... I pulled the cam out of a roller 94 Truck. (I already had the lifters, dogbones, and pushrods) Comparing the 94 truck cam to my 89 mustang cam, it looks like they are the same. I did some more looking around and I have seen the both the 154... and the 137 firing orders for the 94-96 302's. If I put a MAF set-up from a 94/95 with a 137 firing order, how is my 154 truck engine running when I didn't do anything to the firing order to correct it?

Old 11-22-2011, 08:42 PM
middletonford
New User
I am also going to be adding GT-40P heads...They are at the shop right now. I was thinking of putting my 24lb injectors from my mustang on it. Has anyone have any input on increasing the fuel injector size. I was going to stay with a stock cam and use 1.7 lifters on it. It's a daily driver truck that does some slight towing and off road. Is there a reasonable cam out there to use instead of the stock one. Major budget build here ...but if there is alot to gain I am sure I can get something past the wife

Old 11-22-2011, 09:15 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
You may have gotten lucky. Lol. No worries.
Gt40p heads are decent. But be careful with the straight spark plugs if you're running headers.
Watch for spring bind with the 1.7 rockers. Also sometimes the springrate won't allow high rev with 1.7 rockers (explorer gt40p sPrings are iffy).

Anythings better then nothing. Keep up the good work.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 966 Likes on 764 Posts
'94 and up truck engines all have the 351/HO firing order, and the F4TE(1994) truck cam is similar to the HO cam except that is has less duration and lift on the intake side, exhaust side is the same.

With regards to your current truck motor, does it have that '94 truck cam in it now? When you did the MAF swap did you also change all the injector wiring?

Old 11-23-2011, 07:35 AM
middletonford
New User
No I have not put the cam in the truck. I got it to put in the motor I am building for replacement. The motor in the truck is a plain stock (I at least believe it is) 93 with the OBDI MAF system installed. And no, I have done nothing to alter the firing order from the original 154..... set-up. And I have confirmed that's the firing order now. That's why I am now confused on why my truck is running. Were there any MAF systems built with the running the old firing order? Again I can't imagine my truck running as good as it is if my non HO cam in the truck doesn't match the MAF system I installed. The truck runs about the same as before the conversion. I was expecting a little more,but again the engine has 180K on it. As far as the cam from the 94 truck and my mustang looking a like, I was thinking that with the different firing orders I was expecting, I thought I was going to see a different lobe pattern. Which is why I am confused. But if the 94 has the HO firing order, that makes sense on the cams looking alike. It all gets clearer up to the point of why my truck is running in it's current configuration. Unless I should be seeing a lot more performance if I change firing order. Which I may end up doing for an experiment.....

Old 11-23-2011, 07:37 AM
middletonford
New User
Forgot to mention that I changed the whole engine bay harness including the fuel injector harness

Old 11-23-2011, 07:44 AM
middletonford
New User
So reading the comments about the 1.7 rockers I guess I should go with a new cam instead? Suggestions on a good stock replacement. I'm not looking for anything real radical, just somethng to give a liitle extra torque. I would like to get something that would work with the stock springs if possible. If not I'll use the stock 94 cam. It was in good shape and was only $17 out of the yard

Old 11-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
All MAF trucks use the HO firing order.
On your truck if you have the injectors wired for the HO firing order and the plugs are wired for the old 302 firing order it'll run but idle quality won't be as smooth as it could be and the motor won't make the power it should overall. It's pretty easy to modify the injector wiring to match the old firing order though, just swap the pins for injector pairs 5/4 and 3/7 at the computer connector.

1.7 rockers are fine with relatively low lift cams like the stock car and truck cams, the stock valve springs can handle about 0.500" lift and all these combinations are well under that. The F4TE truck cam is about as good as it gets in terms of an EFI friendly torque cam for the 5.0, the Comp 35-512-8 would be a good substitute if you didn't already have the F4TE cam, it paired with 1.6 rockers is about equavelent to the F4TE cam and 1.7 rockers. The Comp 35-510-8 would be an improvement but it produces WAY too much lift for the stock springs, and fittig suitable agermarket springs isn't just a bolt on affair, some head maching may be necessary.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:52 AM
middletonford
New User
Not famliar with the pins on these connectors. Do I need any tools to swap pins. I would rather do that than cut and splice. Especially since I'd be going back the the HO order with the new motor. thanks

Old 11-23-2011, 08:54 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
The 1.7 rockers are fine. They effectively give you more lift. If you do a new cam with more lift then you run into the same problems as I said with the rockers.
The 1.7 roller rockers are very nice. You will more then likely need new valve springs. O matter what route you go.
Springs should be replaced regardless if you are building a new motor. Then you don't need to worry later on.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:57 AM
middletonford
New User
Any suggestions on springs? Or what kind of rate should I be looking for. I can get them before my heads get done next week

Old 11-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
The computer connector comes apart with nothing more complicated that a blade screwdriver, the biggest issue is doing this with the harness in the truck.. it's a bit cumbersome. There were some great pics on Ford Fuel Injection but for some reason the site seems to have been removed or taken down.. not sure what's going on there.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:13 AM
middletonford
New User
I guess I'll repin the harness for the 93 firing order later today and see what happens

Quick Reply: 93 302 MAF and engine upgrades