1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Stainless Steel Window Visors for CC

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 1dieselman
Very happy with them. I had to drill a couple of holes and install screws for each one but it looks like they have changed them a little
The ones I received today included screws and instructions to drill. And no adhesive or alternate methods of attachment were included.

I've sent an email to their customer support referencing the "no drill" in their description. I'll update when I get a response.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:10 AM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where did you order them from? I like the idea of adhesive over screws, despite the fact i just drilled 15 holes for cab lights lol!

Old 11-30-2011, 10:48 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Ordered them from Summit Racing. Same part number in the earlier posts.

Summit has treated me right in the past so I expect them to do so this time.

I think I can find my own adhesive and make these work though.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:26 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LeoJr
Ordered them from Summit Racing. Same part number in the earlier posts.

Summit has treated me right in the past so I expect them to do so this time.

I think I can find my own adhesive and make these work though.
Be sure and let us know what they do about this. I am going to have a set of those soon one way or another and I am curious what they suggest.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:50 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Just received an email from Summit's customer service department apologizing for the misprint and that I could return them.

Has anyone installed these thin metal ones with double-sided tape or a weatherstrip adhesive?

Old 11-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ones on my old truck had screws. But maybe the whether strip adhesive would work best.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:17 PM
1dieselman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe three or four small dabs of clear silicon would do the trick.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:06 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Maybe you could try this stuff. I have a friend who swears by it for this sort of thing.

3M

Old 01-10-2012, 10:57 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Well, I though I had better update things here. After getting my "little" Jeep project done on Saturday morning and freeing up the shop, I got the Ventshades that I got for Christmas installed in the afternoon. The fit was less than perfect, but I really like them It is exactly the look I was going for. Each ventshade is secured by four screws so I know they're not going anywhere. The instructions state that you should start with the screw in the front and work your way back, using a center punch and 5/64" drill bit to make pilot holes for the screws. After I did the first couple with the center punch I just skipped that step since my bit was good and sharp. The center punch tends to chip the paint off in a larger diameter than the hole so using the drill bit alone avoids this and makes a nice clean hole. I started with my front doors first and ended up with an extra hole in the driver side door because I didn't have it lined up the way I wanted it when I drilled the first hole. I did the fronts first on purpose since I plan to replace them as part of my bodywork plans for the truck. Just take your time on the first one and be careful (you are, after all drilling holes in your truck) and they'll turn out just fine.

The contour of the rear portion of the shades for the rear doors isn't
perfect, but unless you're after the show truck look, I think they look just fine. Oh and pay no attention to that big dent in the roof. The PO did that somehow. Makes a nice place to lay the screwdriver without it rolling off the roof .

Sorry for the marginal picture quality. The lighting in my shop isn't that great and it was getting dark outside. I'm looking forward to being able to leave the windows down a little this summer without having to worry about the rain.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:59 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Looks good Nate! I too really prefer this style. Mine have been installed for a couple of weeks without screws or any adhesive. I'll put a few spots of gasket adhesive on a few spots just to keep them solid but they ride just fine with only the rubber gasket for support.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:42 PM
1dieselman
Elder User
I agree, looks so much better than the smoked plastic crappy ones.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:29 PM
mesimpson66
Freshman User
Nate, your truck looks way too cool now with those visors on but what about us poor guys with just a Super Cap (ie-- don't have back doors)?? Do they have a short piece for the back side windows too (so it matches the front) or do I just get a front door only?? After seeing some of these F-350 CC's on FTE, I sometimes wish I had held out for one of them instead!

Old 01-10-2012, 09:20 PM
bearhugger
Senior User
Nate:
Just got through doing mine,just like yours,everthing went good untill i got to the last one,droppedthree screws but could only fine one so i was one screw short but no problem like it is,looks pretty good.
Jim

Old 01-10-2012, 09:26 PM
1dieselman
Elder User
Originally Posted by mesimpson66
Nate, your truck looks way too cool now with those visors on but what about us poor guys with just a Super Cap (ie-- don't have back doors)?? Do they have a short piece for the back side windows too (so it matches the front) or do I just get a front door only?? After seeing some of these F-350 CC's on FTE, I sometimes wish I had held out for one of them instead!
The extended cab I just sold only had them on the doors, have never seen any fitted to the rear windows.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:29 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Jim, PM me your address and I'll mail you some of the ones I didn't use.

Leo

Quick Reply: Stainless Steel Window Visors for CC