1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: If Ford had multiple engine offerings in the future Superduty's which would you choose?
6.7l Diesel
37.96%
6.8L V-10 gas
34.26%
6.2L V-8 gas or bored 7.0L gas
16.67%
Twin Turbo small displacement V-8 (5.0-5.8) ecoboost
18.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Gentlemen, your preferred engine please?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:14 AM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2006powerstroke90
There's always a comedian in the crowd!

Old 11-15-2011, 11:25 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LSchicago2
There's always a comedian in the crowd!

Here we go! Round 1..............

Old 11-15-2011, 01:04 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
I purposely omitted the older engines as they will not see us far into the future. Yes, there will always be some around but they will eventually fade away.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:50 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
No one crunches numbers anymore, they just listen to the hype of the media. Sure one might save some here and there. But true cost of ownership is more than gas mpg, oil changes, repair costs, etc...
Ain't that the truth? Diesels, DI engines, hybrids, etc there are way too many people looking for something to grab on to. Be it MPGs, HP or torque numbers, or what some magazine tells them, it seems that we have lost or way and are just looking for something to believe in.

It's the guy who sells his paid off crew cab lariat "gas guzzling" V10 for 5-6 better mpg's in a diesel. Oh yea he just dropped $45k for that crew cab lariat diesel to "save" at the pump, definitely saving money in that situation. (sarcasm there) So as to not to offend the diesel crowd that same guy sells the paid off V10 for an $32k EcoBoost F150. Or the guy sells off his good running and paid off 6.0/6.4 diesel for a the same new $45K truck in fear it might break or get bad mpgs.

I want to touch on this one with a personal story. I owned a V10 Super Duty. It was a 01 reg cab F350 4x4 and it was a great truck. It did everything that I ever wanted it or needed it to do. But as times went on it got to where I didn't need such a big truck. So I sold it out right for a lot less than it was worth because everybody were afraid of the MPGs. Well, fast forward a few years and I needed a bigger truck again. What did I do? I searched the want ads until I found, and paid cash for, my current tow rig/daily driver; a 97 460 powered F350. I got a very nice truck, on the cheap, with fairly low mileage, and great base for an awesome build later down the road. I could have went and bought a new truck. And there have been some days when I thought about it. But the more and more I think about it, even with my sub-10 MPGs, I couldn't justify paying $45K-$50K when I have the same capability for $6K, a little maintenance and an extra stop at the pump every month.

Perception is a very powerful force. I would love to get the 20 MPGs that an Ecoboost gets. Or even the 12-15 the 6.2 gets in SD trim. But instead I smile when I gas up and know that, from my view at least, an extra $100 in the tank is still less than the payment on a new truck.

Really? Who cares. You've got the FORD truck you love.
Amen Brother. Some folks take this too personally. We all chose Ford trucks because they're the best. We're part of the Ford family. Yeah, I may have different opinions of some of the decisions that Ford and consumers have made over the years. For example, I'm ashamed of the issues with the 6.0, I feel that the 4.6 was a underpowered lump that didn't belong in a truck and I am very, very wary of the current Ecoboost engine (though nothing has pointed to those worries being founded yet). But if a driver of any of these vehicles came to me for help I would be right there for them.

Originally Posted by tseekins
Thanks to all who posted, lets keep it going. Well I voted for an ecoboost engine for obvious reasons. The thing that strikes me funny is that there are 11 votes for the 6.7L, 11 votes for the 6.8L and 2 for the small block twin turbo.

I actually anticipated the diesel guys to pony up on the gas turbo since well, a turbo works the same whether it's gas or diesel but without the high $$$ maintenance and fuel.

I don't want to start anything here (and I guess it's comments like these that got me in trouble on the last thread ) but I truly don't believe that most (not all) diesel guys really understand their engines. One would think, from reading magazines and internet forums that this magical grease they call fuel is the end all, be all of truck engines. I don't think a lot of them have put together that their oil burning, DI, turbocharged engines can have anything in common with a gas burning, DI, turbocharged engine. Remember, most of these folks jumped onto the diesel bandwagon just a few years back and have been justifying it ever since. It's going to take a lot of work to get them to admit there maybe another way of doing things. Again, I'm not trying to talk bad about the smokers out there. I'm just saying it's more of a mindset.

Originally Posted by tseekins
If I had a crystal ball I would predict that the 3.5L and 2.0L ecoboost engines are the tip of the trend and eventually this technology will migrate into everything Ford.
I don't think you need a crystal ball for this one. I've stated it before. When both of these engines hit the scene I pored over every spec and article I could find. I crawled all over the first 6.2 Raptor and 5.0 Mustang that hit the lots too. The 5.0 and the 6.2 have both been designed to accept DI later in their life cycles. It's only a matter of when.

But to the original question. What would I like to see in the SD today? I would start with the 6.2 and add a longer stroke. Though it has a longer stroke compared to a lot of todays motors most of the great torquers had right at or over a 4" stroke. Yeah, it would limit the RPMs and wear a little more on the cylinders but with modern heads and ring packages it could still breath as high as you need it and last longer than the truck around it. This would give the engine a huge shot of low end torque. Something we haven't seen since the days of the pushrod Ford motors.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:15 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
As much as I love my V10, A larger displacement ecoboost V8 with direct injection and turbos is very intriguing!

Old 11-15-2011, 04:12 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by mwsF250
As much as I love my V10, A larger displacement ecoboost V8 with direct injection and turbos is very intriguing!

Yea more power is good, but to me it says "more expensive parts to fail" Thats my only worry when turbos and other things get involved.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:39 PM
charbaugh
Mountain Pass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My opinion is much like sammy77's. If you need the power and tourqe the diesel offers, then that is the engine you should seek. I, however, am one of those who use my SD as a daily driver, and rarely pull anything of consequence. I bought a SD because i love the truck and have never had anything but great experiences out of Ford products. So, with that said, I drive the V10 and love it.

As to the $$ of owning one vs the other, it all depends on how long you keep the truck and how much you have to spend keeping it on the road. Any of us can build financial models that justifies one over the other, and I think it all comes back to personal preference. For me personally, I bought my '00 CC Lariat 4x4 in 2002 for about $20K with 30K miles on it. Since then, I have put on two sets of tires and two sets of break pads (went cheap on one set...). As far as repairs, I blew a vacuum line and burped a spark plug. Less than $1K in repairs. If you add it all up, my 2000 SD with 188K miles on it has roughly cost me less than $25K, plus gas. I'm sure there is someone out there with a similar story from a diesel's perspective.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:39 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
2 comments:

First, the majority of the owners are going to vote for the engine they have, so what is the point?

Second, no 5.4L? No 7.3L? No 6.0L? You're excluding the majority of the trucks on this board.

But, there is always someone who wants to stir the pot and cause discord, so have fun.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:32 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by redford
2 comments:

First, the majority of the owners are going to vote for the engine they have, so what is the point?

Second, no 5.4L? No 7.3L? No 6.0L? You're excluding the majority of the trucks on this board.

But, there is always someone who wants to stir the pot and cause discord, so have fun.
Sir, the engines you listed are not available in 2012 and beyond so there's no point in discussing them. The V-10 is still being used in heavier trucks, the 6.2L could be bored out to 7 liters, the 6.7L looks like it's here to stay a while and ecoboost technology is here as well.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts
Like posted earlier, if $ wasnt an object I'd choose the diesel rig. But seeing as I'm a lowly contractor, I got a V10, which I'm digging. It does everything I need it to. I had two choices

1. Older truck with a diesel motor.
2. Newer truck with a gas motor.

Let me help the OP a little here. In the SD forum, this topic has been discussed at nausium. Maybe the pissing contests arent as prevelent in the toy truck forums, but here its all been done. No offense and thanks for visiting. I give this thread 2 days and itll be closed.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:41 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
How about a smaller diesel that doesn't get caught up in the HP wars, but still offers the traditional diesel advantages and maybe focuses a little more on fuel economy. Yes I realize that would mean I could not tow 200,000 lbs up a 6% grade in OD with the cruise on, but I could live with that.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:32 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Originally Posted by Quad Racer
Maybe the pissing contests arent as prevelent in the toy truck forums, but here its all been done.
Good point. But you want to get into a good pissing contest go onto the 09+ half-ton forum and say anything bad about a Ecoboost. You will be hung from the rafters and burned at the stake!

Old 11-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
i voted for a twin turbo 5.0 ECOBOOST..

that would be kickass..

as much as i love the 6.8 V10, theres no question a ecoboost with enuf displacement would be a welcome addition to the superduty lineup.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:34 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
If I was going to use my truck for heavy pulling, diesel. Anything else, 6.2L. The 6.8 V10 just doesnt seem to have a place anymore now that its not equal with the diesel. It used to be that the V10 was an alternative to the diesel, now its an option for less power. Granted, if you need less power thats fine, but the mileage is not so great.

^^ IMO

Old 11-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I had lots of money to burn and could get a new truck every few years, I'd get a 6.7 diesel. Why not? They put the most power to the ground and get the best mileage so why settle for anything else? But I don't have that kind of money, nor do I know anyone who does. Here's what I know to be true: I cannot afford to own an unreliable truck, period. I also believe that simplicity breeds reliability, and after looking under the hood of both a 2011 6.2 and a 6.7 , there's no way in hell these things are gonna be reliable in 10-15 years. Somewhere in that maze of tubes, hoses, plumbing, coolers and wires is trouble waiting to happen. The guy who buys it new and keeps it for 5 years is golden, he may lose the most money at resale, but he ain't gonna be having it towed to the dealer wondering what it is this time. Time, heat and cold and vibration from normal use fatigues wiring, causes vacuum leaks and electrical gremlins. The new Fords are great trucks, as are all Fords, but by the time I can afford them, they will no longer be new, and then we'll see how they work out. I do know that I'll likely still be driving my V10 Super Duty, the '04 with the slightly less powerful 2V motor. You know, the one with nearly no wiring or hoses, or problems. As for the 6.2, I don't see the point. Less torque, same mileage. And that's not just my opinion, that's what I read on their forum here on the FTE.

Quick Reply: Gentlemen, your preferred engine please?