6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Radiator Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 08:57 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
theres a lot that has to do with flow rates as well one of the reasons we went to 2 cooling systems in 2012

Old 07-07-2012, 10:22 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's just a poor design. Factor in the mounting and flow rates with a radiator that has plastic ends crimped on, it just won't hold up and last. I have only replaced one which is crazy. The idea that I'm happy with only replacing one radiator in 108,000 miles is kind of depressing. A rad should obviously last as long as the engine, or at least 250,000 miles. Should be a non issue.

I have been smelling coolant under my hood lately and can't find where it's coming from so I'm a little nervous about the water pump and things now. It's sad to think what these trucks would cost if they didn't cut corners and apply marginally inadequate components.....

Old 07-07-2012, 10:23 AM
jermort
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope you have better luck that I. Mine was replaced about 4 months ago, oozing on bottom left of tank. Went on vacation towing the TT in May, got a hundred miles from home, high transmission temps, go to nearest dealer, secondary coolant dry. Seems the tech (cannot call him a mechanic) that did my rad replacement left the hose clamp off the lower hose of the secondary cooling tank. Once I worked the motor/trans things warmed up, the lower hose popped off, all coolant ran out. Luckily there was a Ford dealer in Dillon, Co. They replaced clamp, refilled with coolant called my local dealer and passed along my displeasure.

Fingers crossed!

jammer

Old 07-07-2012, 01:58 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

These trucks are disposable. I think of it sort of like those cardboard cameras they use to put on tables at weddings. There are way to many parts in them and way to many chances for failure to have crappy parts. I plan on getting rid of it before 100K miles. Hope it makes it.....

Old 07-07-2012, 02:31 PM
lundman
Senior User
radiator

Gee, and I thought I had problems.

At least I haven't been stranded yet or had to put big bucks into the truck. I have had my bucket full of problems though, including getting two F-250 recalls on my vehicle in 20 months. And I have had to have 4 thermostats replaced, thankfully under warranty saving me almost $500. And I have the radio acting up for the last 7 months. Even my bedliner has an air bubble/stretch from loading the skidoo? Did it once on and once off with the skidoo and wham....there it was. Trouble with my auto locking hubs not working in the winter. Even so I am spending more time at the dealership than I believe I should. When you lose faith in the reliability of your transportation it is time to look for another vehicle. I am not there yet, as very patient, but I have owned enough new vehicles through the years and never had as many things going south on me or getting to know the dealership through hours of waiting around for my truck. Nothing super big yet but I have to wonder what is next around the corner?? Love my truck, looks great, and lots of comments on "Nice truck." Keeping my fingers crossed in the meantime.

In retrospect, I think anyone buying one of these new model year truck should buy the extended full warranty, as it seems like not only good insurance but seems it might be needed. Have about 82,000 kms (51,000 miles) and not much towing and I really take care and baby my truck. And having the Ford Dealership just give up and say they don't know how to fix my radio problem is like a Sci-fi movie.....did they really admit that? Yep.

I am still thankful that I don't have some of the forum members bigger problems.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:50 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have only had my truck for a month but I keep telling myself this is where people post problems. There has to be many people out there trouble free.. I had a 7.3 that I sold for this truck... Everyone says get 7.3 ,best motor ever.. Check those forums out,numerous posts daily of problems. Yes its an older motir but when I had mine I was always chasing a problem.. The 6.7 forum has 4-5 new posts a day. New topics I should say.. I hope im one of the lucky ones! Love my truck so far. Time will tell.Guess im off topic here but I dont like reading posts about needing extended warrantys ect. There doesnt seem to be alot of problems IMO...

Old 07-07-2012, 08:31 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
as of yet issues have been small in nature and very random.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:02 PM
thejean
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My rad just went. 60k kms. $1100 plus install. Ridiculous not only because it went so soon but because the replacement costs that much!!! Very annoyed today. I have a 2011 job 2 truck I think.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:57 PM
camr
New User
Replaced my piece of sh|t rad 1800 miles off warranty. Coolant all over the garage floor. I ended up paying for it. After the disaster of previous engines, why can't Ford ever get it right?

Old 02-03-2014, 08:15 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I heard Mishimoto may be coming out with an all Aluminum drop in replacement for the 6.7, which is apparently not radically different from the one for the 6.4L application that is quite popular.

I thought mine was leaking, but it was the mess I made when I did the EGR cooler delete (I had errorneously believed that the drain petcock was actually a ball valve that you could turn 90° in either direction... nope.) ... so we'll see when it starts bawling all over the floor. 84,000km so far.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:32 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
When you email mishimoto, they add your info to their product suggestion list, every one should contact them so they finally get it released!...especially before mine leaks

Old 02-04-2014, 09:36 AM
scar100
Junior User
Took mine to the shop this morning - 103xxx. Been dripping for a couple weeks now. Haven't gotten anyone at Ford Corporate to explain why my case is not qualified to received funds as some have. Glad they were able to get through. Local guy quoted $1200 to replace.

Are replacement radiators any better?

Old 02-05-2014, 04:39 PM
T Evans
New User
Leaky Radiator

Just purchased my 12 F-250 Crew 6.7 around X-mas with 48k miles. A few weeks later started smelling antifreeze a couple of weeks later. Added about a 1/2 gallon of antifreeze soon there after. Then it showed its ugly head when I noticed a small spot under drivers side. Took to local dealer to have them check it out. They phoned and told me it was the inside radiator and it WAS NOT covered by Ford. They estimated 1400.00 for the repair.
After a small melt down at they service writers desk I picked up the truck and went to see if I could get Ford to step up and do the right thing. I called the number they gave me to call and registered my complaint in case they ever decide to do the right thing and pay for this **** poor designed radiator..
Just picked up the truck and it is going on the market today. I'm going back to a Duramax with a 100,000 mile warranty.
So if you know someone looking for a nice 2012 F-250 Crew 4x4 Lariat with 50 k. I'll take 40K for this one.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:15 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T Evans
Just purchased my 12 F-250 Crew 6.7 around X-mas with 48k miles. A few weeks later started smelling antifreeze a couple of weeks later. Added about a 1/2 gallon of antifreeze soon there after. Then it showed its ugly head when I noticed a small spot under drivers side. Took to local dealer to have them check it out. They phoned and told me it was the inside radiator and it WAS NOT covered by Ford. They estimated 1400.00 for the repair.
After a small melt down at they service writers desk I picked up the truck and went to see if I could get Ford to step up and do the right thing. I called the number they gave me to call and registered my complaint in case they ever decide to do the right thing and pay for this **** poor designed radiator..
Just picked up the truck and it is going on the market today. I'm going back to a Duramax with a 100,000 mile warranty.
So if you know someone looking for a nice 2012 F-250 Crew 4x4 Lariat with 50 k. I'll take 40K for this one.
Sorry this happened and you bought it used correct?Did you buy it from dealer? I would think you would get some sort of bumper to bumper for a yr or something no?

Old 02-05-2014, 05:26 PM
T Evans
New User
I purchased from a small dealer. It was a one owner truck that didn't have any problems with it until a couple weeks after I had driven for almost 1,000 miles. Just my luck

Quick Reply: Radiator Leak