6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

35k miles on it, and they say the motor needs replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It does cost big money to keep the doors open on the smallest dealership and Ford does try to be fair in most cases. Some trucks have to have the body lifted off the frame to do a engine replacement. I don't know if yours does but there is a lot of time and effort that goes into a job like this. When I worked at a dealership all of the mechanics were paid 50% of the booked labor on customer pay and 50% of Ford's warrantee rate for warrantee jobs. That was a long time ago though.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:31 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let's not get off track fellas, no need to try and prove anyone wrong or create problems.

Let's keep on track to what the OP started this thread for

Old 11-26-2011, 09:14 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I feel for you the OP but you will probably be better off with a new motor from what the mechanic relayed. I had a 6.0 go swimming a few months back and was lucky enough to only have egr valve issues after. I had another one need to replaced b/c of cavitation and it was $16k to replace at dealer. Price is reasonable for a dealer install with that kind of warranty. You could probably have it repaired/replaced somewhere else but not come out as good.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:58 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by carltonwebb
I feel for you the OP but you will probably be better off with a new motor from what the mechanic relayed. I had a 6.0 go swimming a few months back and was lucky enough to only have egr valve issues after. I had another one need to replaced b/c of cavitation and it was $16k to replace at dealer. Price is reasonable for a dealer install with that kind of warranty. You could probably have it repaired/replaced somewhere else but not come out as good.
My wifes very nice '98 Explorer got drowned during the hurricane a couple of months ago. The insurance company totaled it and all it needed was an engine. I/we would have been satisfied with a good J.Y. engine but the cost was too much and they totaled it and paid us over our purchase cost and took it away. Thank you comprehensive insurance.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:05 AM
_Me2_
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moto Mel
My wifes very nice '98 Explorer got drowned during the hurricane a couple of months ago. The insurance company totaled it and all it needed was an engine. I/we would have been satisfied with a good J.Y. engine but the cost was too much and they totaled it and paid us over our purchase cost and took it away. Thank you comprehensive insurance.
Unless you mean that it just ingested some water and hydrolocked, you would most likely not have been satisfied with that good junkyard engine a couple months down the line when the electronics started acting strange. Vehicles under water, especially salt water, are bad news.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
It only sucked a bunch of water through the intake. The truck was not submerged and never hydrolocked. It was enough to get water into the crankcase and make a milkshake out of the oil. It then lost oil pressure but still ran decent without knocking.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:19 PM
patmchicago
New User
I traded a 2003 F350 gasser in on a Ford Fiesta, don't ask, about a year ago at my local dealer. The Fiesta had some birthing problems with the the powershift transmissions that I was back and forth to the dealer for. Landed up getting to know the transmission tech and the two service managers pretty well. (Gonna bring this around to what I hope is a relevant point.)

Finally with the involvement of Ford corporate, I was given an extended ESP warranty by Ford. I wanted a longer one but corporate said that the best your going to do. I believed them and took it.

My experience with Ford and the dealer's service department was that Ford will only go so far, the the service department can or will only go so far, and I had to look at my options and go with the best deal I though I could get with the least amount of stress or antagonism.

I think that's where the op is at. The deal sounds like the best your gonna get. Fords given some, the dealers given some, and now you have to figure where your at. Is it worth suing and waiting. Is it worth arguing more for a better deal that may not come. It it worth going to an independent that may save you some money but may not.

I like alot of working guys and probably the op have neither time nor money so the decision is not an easy one. Me I'd go with the dealership deal. Two service techs on this forum say the costs their quoting are in the ballpark, you talked to the mehanic and got a good feel from him which means alot, the dealership seems to have gone to bat for you with Ford, and who's to say an independent is worth the time or money at this point.

But that would be my decision and that only means it would be right for me. Good luck, sorry it happened to you as it shouldn't have, and thanks for reading a long post (if you did.) By the way, I read this forum everyday and a diesel will eventually be on my driveway.
Pat

Old 12-09-2011, 08:49 PM
greenstar
Senior User
Originally Posted by dlibson
... ...
Oh, and yes Ford will. The dealer looked at the situation, called Ford and planned it out upfront. They do that. They've done it for me before...

dlibson, what did they do for you?
what kind of money??

what do u think about this cost, and what do u think is fair for me ?

Old 12-10-2011, 04:51 AM
greenstar
Senior User
UPDATE!!

UPDATE!!

so I had it towed to the selling dealer for a 2nd opinion: ..and told the service manager what the other dealer had told me. He said he has only seen it once, a 6.0 just die with such low miles, and doesnt believe its dead.

So I get a call Wed from a service guy, he says, "sir, my tech looked it all through, and you need a high pressure pump, a harness, a glow plug, 2 short plugs, 2 long plugs, and a few other things (I cant remember but they are written down), and it will cost $3,700, and we can have your truck ready for you Friday."

I was speechless..
I said, "ok,..."

I asked him if an experienced truck mechanic had looked at it, if he knew which one, and if he was sure thats all that it needed.
He assured me that was it.

I was still speechless.. and wondering if I should keep my mouth shut.. I asked him if he had heard about the truck, and where it had been, he said, "no."

He then said, "well sir, if it helps any I can offer you 10% off the parts.. which would equate to about $400 dollars off."

I said, "that sounds great but... ahhhh.. are u sure..??"

I then opened my stupid pie-hole and told him about where it was.. He said he had no idea.., but then acted as if he felt stupid and wanted to go speak with the mechanic.. he said, "well maybe the mechanic didnt go far enough.. and he needed to go.."

I quickly told him, "ok, fix it for the $3,300 please."

SO THEN GUESS WHAT HE DOES, HE CALLS ME THE NEXT DAY SAYING IT IS A MOTOR, AND HE IS SORRY!!

What the heck did I do, guys !?????
WHY DID I OPEN MY STUPID MOUTH! I shoulda just said, ok, fix it!! PERIOD
Now I feel I then gave them permission to condemn the motor!! ? and to put an engine in it. I feel I should have kept my mouth shut.
I am paranoid they are trying to sell me a motor... when maybe it could have been fixed...
until i opened my stupid mouth!

I talked to the service manager later and he says, "A ROLLER LIFTER CAME APART IN THE MOTOR. THEY HADNT SEEN IT BECAUSE A GLOW PLUG READING WAS COMING UP,, BUT THEY DIDNT KNOW IT UNTIL THEY STARTED PUTTING THE FUEL PUMP IN AND FOUND LOOSE METAL IN THE ENGINE!!?
He said it was an internal engine failure, and thats why he hates those motors, and why "they're a piece of junk." he said, and why they stopped putting them in the trucks after just a few years.

He then offered to take another thousand off after m sob story.

So I got on the phone with corporate too!! And they had the same, rehearsed, one-liners for me over and over and over and over again...
"The regional rep has already made his decision." "$5,000 is all we are able to contribute."
"Theres nothing more we can do." "You must take it up with the dealership for any other questions."
I finally got a supervisor on the phone, and he started saying the same rehearsed statements. eventhough I had him stumped a few times.

I thought I presented a pretty convincing argument on the phone.. but they still were hard as nails!
I am very disappointed.

A roller lifter coming apart and sending metal through the engine at 35,000 miles! (45k if you add up hours). Obviously a premature engine failure... no!? something completely uncalled for and out of my control.. no??
I'm frustrated guys!

Old 12-10-2011, 05:19 AM
fmco_muddin
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dang Sorry about your situation! I think I would just go in with out calling (so they cant do anything to it) and say I want to see the evidence my self! I feel so bad for you about this whole deal!

Old 12-10-2011, 09:12 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
thats not a common failer but I have seen it. howvere you should be able to get by with a short block, front cover and an oil cooler.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:30 AM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think this is the exact "rare" grenading I was referring to. If it is then to replace the part the engine has to be completely torn down to get to and replace. Better off with new motor. There is a video I watched on YouTube not to long ago. I" ll see if I can find it and post a link

Old 12-10-2011, 09:40 AM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Found it, see if this is what they are saying is wrong with yours YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Old 12-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
That is an engineering FUBAR for sure. A $40.00 lifter to cause so much damage and to not be able to repair the engine without a complete disassembly is beyond stupid, there should be a number of firings in that department over this screw up.

Quick Reply: 35k miles on it, and they say the motor needs replacement