6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Exhaust Fluid System Fault Message

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 07:32 AM
brightideaselectric
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same thing here. It was in the sixties on Sunday when this occurred. I don't want to turn this into a hpfp issue by any means but this could be a real inconvenience when you are nowhere near a dealership. This limiting the truck to 50 mph over emissions equipment is b.s.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:32 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by brightideaselectric
Same thing here. It was in the sixties on Sunday when this occurred. I don't want to turn this into a hpfp issue by any means but this could be a real inconvenience when you are nowhere near a dealership. This limiting the truck to 50 mph over emissions equipment is b.s.

I got so frustrated with mine last winter I ended up deleting it. Like you I have no time to go to the dealer every other week to clear codes (but never fix anything). I hope this is an isolated incident for you but clearing codes (and even replacing parts) never got mine fixed. Likely would have fixed it evenually. I gave them 4 month and about 20 days with the truck at dealer and never got it fixed. Thats when I pulled the pin. Good luck.

Thanks

Old 11-10-2011, 07:52 AM
flaharleyguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by darren32
I got so frustrated with mine last winter I ended up deleting it. Like you I have no time to go to the dealer every other week to clear codes (but never fix anything). I hope this is an isolated incident for you but clearing codes (and even replacing parts) never got mine fixed. Likely would have fixed it evenually. I gave them 4 month and about 20 days with the truck at dealer and never got it fixed. Thats when I pulled the pin. Good luck.

Thanks
How did you delete it? My CEL goes on and off like blinking Christmas lights.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:59 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by flaharleyguy
How did you delete it? My CEL goes on and off like blinking Christmas lights.
H&S Black Maxx tuner. Not a single CEL / Warning / Limp mode since. And no more going to the dealer (accept for a warranty water pump) since. But you can say goodbye to your warranty. For me it was a small price to pay to have a truck I could drive. My CEL was on (most of the time) for 5 months, could not stand it any longer.

I had P164A / P2A00 (NOX sensor) CEL issues as well though at the same time.

Thanks

Old 11-10-2011, 08:03 AM
flaharleyguy
Senior User
Thanks for info! I need to keep the warranty so when I trade the truck warranty wont be an issue.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:05 PM
GrampsHandMeDown
Freshman User
Well, I'm in the boat with y'all now. 42 Miles till limited at this point and the Dealer can't get me in for another day and a half... My DEF tank is full and display says level ok. Just keeps showing me a system failure...

This, a new tire (that only had 7900 miles on it) and a sick dog is really dragging this week straight to hell.

Sorry, just needed to vent. At least it didn't happen when I was towing to TX and back to CO last weekend.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by GrampsHandMeDown
Well, I'm in the boat with y'all now. 42 Miles till limited at this point and the Dealer can't get me in for another day and a half... My DEF tank is full and display says level ok. Just keeps showing me a system failure...

This, a new tire (that only had 7900 miles on it) and a sick dog is really dragging this week straight to hell.

Sorry, just needed to vent. At least it didn't happen when I was towing to TX and back to CO last weekend.
Wow, sorry about how your week has been going! Mine hasn't been that bad, but I did smash the screen on my one-month-old iPad yesterday morning, so I can relate!

So the truck recognizes that the DEF tank is full, yet it says you only have 42 miles until the 55 MPH speed limit? I'm no mechanic, but perhaps you should disconnect your batteries for awhile to reset things. Sounds like your PCM isn't correlating the full tank condition to the NOT limiting speed.

Just a suggestion, hope your week goes better!

Old 11-27-2011, 04:44 AM
glsurratt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FORDTUF1
Yep, it senses the fluid level and resets. But if you get under 1/2 full you have to fill it high enough to get to the full sensor before it will reset. It's not like you fuel gauge that tracks exactly how much is in it.
I got the 800 mile warning. I continued driving until it had 542 miles remaining.

I put in a 2 1/2 gallon jug of DEF and started the truck a couple of times and got an "800 miles remaining" warning each restart for the rest of the afternoon.

The next morning, when I started the truck, I got no warnings and haven't had any for a couple days now.

So I'm not real sure what the reset strategy is for the DEF at this point. It didn't reset after filling half way, but it reset after sitting overnight.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Snakedriver
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Soooo, in order to avoid the dreaded P164A code, I would think that there would/could be some sort of "DEF Full" emulator plug with the correct impeadence, one could simply swap out with the sending unit on the tank.

Im all about hugging a tree, but when your dumping more evil chemicals chasing a fault than your saving sort of seem dumb.

Leo

Old 11-27-2011, 11:49 AM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not sure what's so dreaded about the P164A NOx sensor code since I found that it didn't really change how the vehicle drove at all...

As far as I understand, the DEF tank uses a 3 step sensor, I guess it's a liquid conductivity sensor like the 'water in fuel' sensor would be. There's a common probe that goes all the way to the bottom and then 3 other ones for low/half/full. That's why when you fill it you can't fill it partially, you have to fill it enough to cover the sensor looking at the next step up for it to register a filled DEF tank.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Snakedriver
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats how I understand it as well. I would think that the computer doesnt track any flow rate values. So to plug in an imulator that would show 1/2 full...Or 1/2 empty(lol) at all times would be no big deal. Then, every time you checked oil or fuel, or what ever, you could just top it off. And, if you stuck out in now where land, you would not get stranded.

Leo

Old 11-27-2011, 01:11 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think there's a bit more to it than that though... since it has another sensor to figure out contaminated DEF it would likely notice the lack of it.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:31 AM
jstepy
New User
Just bought my truck 3 weeks ago. It has 1400 miles on it and we just loaded it up for our annual family vacation to Utah for some skiing and boarding.

On my way home from work tonight "Exhaust Fluid System Fault" pops up. You gotta be kidding me... 3 weeks old, 1400 miles and the night before we leave for vacation I have to go first thing to the dealer tomorrow morning to get this fixed... very frustrating.

Also if anyone can help I thought you could initiate an Active Regen and possibly even delay the Regen on the 2012's? Am I mistaken? I thought for sure you could at least delay the regen but I can not find it anywhere in the center info screen.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:07 AM
flaharleyguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by jstepy
Just bought my truck 3 weeks ago. It has 1400 miles on it and we just loaded it up for our annual family vacation to Utah for some skiing and boarding.

On my way home from work tonight "Exhaust Fluid System Fault" pops up. You gotta be kidding me... 3 weeks old, 1400 miles and the night before we leave for vacation I have to go first thing to the dealer tomorrow morning to get this fixed... very frustrating.

Also if anyone can help I thought you could initiate an Active Regen and possibly even delay the Regen on the 2012's? Am I mistaken? I thought for sure you could at least delay the regen but I can not find it anywhere in the center info screen.
Welcome to the world of the DEF and CEL issues on these trucks. Good luck with yours. Its a growing club.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by jstepy
I believe that it's an option on certain commercial models but not on mainstream pickup trucks.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Fluid System Fault Message