Sponsored by:

starting a Five Tire Rotation

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 07:34 PM
9mpg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starting a Five Tire Rotation

Woo Hoo I picked up a matching factory wheel today for cheap. I hope to be getting 5 new tires this Wednesday and then I can start using a five tire rotation.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Fishing_Uncle
Senior User
Ive thought about that a few times, but never got around to doing it. I always did however keep a same size spare just in case I got a flat on my 4x4s. A friend messed up his rig by running an offsize spare before so I made sure I did not have that problem.

Did you already order the 265s?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:46 PM
9mpg
Senior User
I did not order the 265s yet. (I may just buy 4 for now and buy the 5th in 5000 miles for the first rotation, just use best old tire as spare until then, I haven't decided yet.)

The situation I had when I got my 2004 Ex last year was a new 0 mile spare tire and (gray steel) wheel that had never been used... but was 6 years old. Some sources say a tire shouldn't be used after it is 6 years old, some say 10 years old... not a risk worth taking with wife + 3 kids in the Ex most of the time.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Fishing_Uncle
Senior User
You might want to look into some 285's perhaps since you need to get new ones, it was a big difference to me from the 265's.

Now that I think back on it, I honestly can not remember a time where I would have needed a 5th tire in a normal rotation yet. I would always either just keep the best old tire as a spare or have the tire shop throw a decent "fresher" spare into the deal.

I definately agree with you on not using old tires, the safety of the family and everyone else on the road is not worth it.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:26 PM
WE3ZS
Received 857 Likes on 594 Posts
Glad to see you are putting some E rated tires on the rig. Should provide a little better performance and confidence while towing next year. Did you get much camping/towing in this year?
Good luck with the new sneakers!

Old 11-05-2011, 09:04 AM
njneer1
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by 9mpg
I did not order the 265s yet. (I may just buy 4 for now and buy the 5th in 5000 miles for the first rotation, just use best old tire as spare until then, I haven't decided yet.)

The situation I had when I got my 2004 Ex last year was a new 0 mile spare tire and (gray steel) wheel that had never been used... but was 6 years old. Some sources say a tire shouldn't be used after it is 6 years old, some say 10 years old... not a risk worth taking with wife + 3 kids in the Ex most of the time.
That tires has been sheiled fro UV so I think it would be fine.......have one of those myself (exactly)......it's been on the ground once......sits in the building now......makes me wonder what happenend to all the Rugged Trail spares that everyone is no longer using since they upped the tire size........a fellow could likely round up a "new" set of tires at a real reasonalble price by getting these fom others.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I tried the 5 tire rotation...and realized it was more trouble than I cared for...and it's more expensive since you are buying 5 tires. You don't really gain any advantage from this IMO.
Originally Posted by 9mpg

tires rot. Especially in hot dry climates. The rubber dry-rots on the sidewalls. My Expy had the ones we were driving on rot out in 3yrs and 22k miles. I just replaced them due to crappy wear and cracks in the treads.

I personally wouldn't run an old tire. My truck still has the factory tire/spare and that thing is rotted. I'm scared to even put it on the truck if I were to have a flat. The sidewall is a mass of tracks. Never been on the ground, still has all the rubber nubbies on the tread.

As far as putting new "spare" rubber on, I also used to take the best tire from the 4 being replaced and replacing the old spare. Helps keep the spare tire from being a rotted out waste.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:01 AM
9mpg
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fishing_Uncle
You might want to look into some 285's perhaps since you need to get new ones, it was a big difference to me from the 265's....
I looked at/thought about the 285's, but I rarely go off road and the taller tire would make it harder on the motor/trans to pull my (long and heavy) travel trailer.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:31 AM
9mpg
Senior User
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Glad to see you are putting some E rated tires on the rig. Should provide a little better performance and confidence while towing next year. Did you get much camping/towing in this year?
Good luck with the new sneakers!
We camped 5 or 6 times at the campsite where we store our travel trailer. I used hurricane irene as an excuse for a 300 mile round trip West to avoid the storm.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:52 AM
9mpg
Senior User
Originally Posted by njneer1
That tires has been shielded from UV so I think it would be fine...
I agree... but at $137 a new tire is a relative bargain (thats less than a tank of gas!)

Old 11-06-2011, 10:58 AM
9mpg
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tylus
...You don't really gain any advantage from this IMO...
Pretty much... I think instead of a set of four lasting 40k miles (just throwing a number out there) I should get 50k out of a 5 tire rotation.... as far as cost per mile for the tires... exactly the same.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I always though you couldn't move a steel-belted tire from the driver's
to pass side (and vice-versa) because the change in rotation direction
would cause the belts to separate?

Thus, I've always just done front to back tire rotation for all my vehicles,
over the last 30 years....

I also always save the best old tire as a spare, but my Ex has a
"new" Mich LTX M/S so I will likely keep it when I buy 4 new tires
early next year. Although, I am re-thinking going with 285s
which would force a 5 tire purchase (if the dealer doesn't have an old one).

Old 11-15-2011, 12:50 PM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
I am a total advocate for the five tire rotation! I'm doing the same thing as you. Love the ease of rotation with one jack and never having to worry about the tire being a different diameter and hosing up the 4wd.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:51 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,159 Likes on 566 Posts
Most owner's manuals specify to cross the tires to the drive wheels when rotating. IE LF goes to RR, RR goes to RF, RF goes to LR, LR goes to LF. (RWD vehicle) Except for a few specialized tires that are designed to only rotate one direction (high perf) , most all tires are made to be roated like that.

I vaguely recall there being some limitations with older tire designs, but it's been a while. Long enough that any tire affected will be long past it's life.

Personally, I would use an old spare as long as it passed a visual check. To me, I would plan to use a spare for a short limited time anyway. (Unless it was with a 5 tire rotation) Probably safer than the mini spare that most cars use.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:02 PM
9mpg
Senior User

Quick Reply: starting a Five Tire Rotation