1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Tell your Air Suspension conversion story here please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 10:06 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Originally Posted by ljstreng
The dealer said that the "right front height sensor is binding."
Unless a second one was added in later models, to the best of my knowledge there is only one height sensor for the front and it's behind the driver's front wheel. Based on that I would think the problem is with the air solenoid or air the shock for the front right.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where are you in Va.? I have a spare that you can borrow to test with if you are in the H.R. area. It's a 20 minute job including removing the wheel. Send me an email or PM. through the forum if you want.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:55 AM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I am thinking about the conversion so I was reading up.
As for the height sensors my 03 nav has 1 front right and 1 left and one in the rear.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:29 PM
rowekmr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes it has 3, 2 in front and one in rear. I just had the 2 in the front replaced. They were sticking not sure if that was the main problem but the dealership tech showed me that one was stuck and the other one didn't move smoothly. My truck had chronic problems with the front either going all the way down or not coming up. I guess I should have joined this thread earlier and replaced all of mines with conventional springs/shocks because I spent 1.9K changing compressor, 2 ride sensors and 2 front air spring solenoids. I have heard that if you replace the air suspension on the 03-06 you can not stop the air suspension warning light from the dash though.

Originally Posted by caverjoe
I know this is an old thread but I am thinking about the conversion so I was reading up.
As for the height sensors my 03 nav has 1 front right and 1 left and one in the rear.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:09 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rowekmr
Yes it has 3, 2 in front and one in rear. I just had the 2 in the front replaced. They were sticking not sure if that was the main problem but the dealership tech showed me that one was stuck and the other one didn't move smoothly. My truck had chronic problems with the front either going all the way down or not coming up. I guess I should have joined this thread earlier and replaced all of mines with conventional springs/shocks because I spent 1.9K changing compressor, 2 ride sensors and 2 front air spring solenoids. I have heard that if you replace the air suspension on the 03-06 you can not stop the air suspension warning light from the dash though.
That sucks about the light. I will let you know I ordered a set of struts off ebay. Seemed like a good price $419 shipped for all four. It says it has instructions on how to eliminate the warning message. We will see. If not it is just a matter of hitting the reset everytime it is driven. That will be irritating.
here is a link to the ebay auction. It says they are Strutmasters
http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-06-LINCOL...81056945994%26

Old 01-12-2013, 04:22 PM
rowekmr
Elder User
Yeah I have seen those and the ones from Suncore, Arnott and American Air Suspension. The ones you got are the most affordable so I like that. Let me know how they turn out. I was thinking of selling mines so didn't want to have to explain about the Air Suspension light being on but from what I paid I could have just lowered the price. I have to admit I love the air suspension when it works because I tow trailers and my truck is always level even with an interior load. I was thinking about getting a diesel but I might just keep it a little while longer after I sunk in all that money!

That sucks about the light. I will let you know I ordered a set of struts off ebay. Seemed like a good price $419 shipped for all four. It says it has instructions on how to eliminate the warning message. We will see. If not it is just a matter of hitting the reset everytime it is driven. That will be irritating.
here is a link to the ebay auction. It says they are Strutmasters
03 06 Lincoln Navigator Air Suspension Conversion Kit | eBay

Old 01-12-2013, 04:47 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Yeah I have seen those and the ones from Suncore, Arnott and American Air Suspension. The ones you got are the most affordable so I like that. Let me know how they turn out. I was thinking of selling mines so didn't want to have to explain about the Air Suspension light being on but from what I paid I could have just lowered the price. I have to admit I love the air suspension when it works because I tow trailers and my truck is always level even with an interior load. I was thinking about getting a diesel but I might just keep it a little while longer after I sunk in all that money!
Strutmasters claims to be the only ones with Eibach springs and american air suspension says the ones they sell have Eibach springs so I am thinking most of these things must come from the same place. The ones I bought claim to be american made with a full lifetime warranty so I figured I would give em a try at about $300 less than some of the other places mentioned.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:03 PM
gofastbobby
New User
I have an '05 Eddie Bauer Expedition with air suspension. I bought the truck with 80,000 miles on it two years ago. It now has 110,000 miles on it. I drive mainly in the city and the pump runs alot. The bags and lines don't leak. I have replaced the pump once due to it being worn out. Last week the rear went flat to the bump stops, it just stopped pumping air into the rear. The front still worked. I ordered the Monroe rear kit to replace the airbags. Installed it, now the front doesn't pump up. So I ordered the front kit. Haven't got the kit yet.

I am interested in seeing the directions of how to get the check suspension warning turned off.

I drive the truck every day and need it to be reliable above anything else. That helped me make the decision to switch to coil springs. I'll snap a few pictures and show the ride height difference once I install the front this week.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:20 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gofastbobby
I have an '05 Eddie Bauer Expedition with air suspension. I bought the truck with 80,000 miles on it two years ago. It now has 110,000 miles on it. I drive mainly in the city and the pump runs alot. The bags and lines don't leak. I have replaced the pump once due to it being worn out. Last week the rear went flat to the bump stops, it just stopped pumping air into the rear. The front still worked. I ordered the Monroe rear kit to replace the airbags. Installed it, now the front doesn't pump up. So I ordered the front kit. Haven't got the kit yet.

I am interested in seeing the directions of how to get the check suspension warning turned off.

I drive the truck every day and need it to be reliable above anything else. That helped me make the decision to switch to coil springs. I'll snap a few pictures and show the ride height difference once I install the front this week.
I have the same reason. My wife drives it daily with my kids in there so pretty much a given. Now there will be no more worries. My coils are supposed to be here before the end of the week. I will try and remember to snap so before and after pics. There are plenty of how toos so I dont think any write up I can do would make it any easier.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:40 AM
gofastbobby
New User
so the work is done now. Here's before:

Name:  IMG_0465.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  60.8 KB

and now with the Monroe Conversion kit completed.

Name:  Finished_zps7f356ddf.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  114.0 KB

It may ride a bit higher now, I cant tell much of a ride quality difference, probably because I needed shocks before the conversion. All in all, Im happy with the swap. definitely worth it in my eyes. I just wish I would've done it right away rather than waste money on a pump.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:08 PM
5.4T
Elder User
well 1 Year and couple of months later, Mines still works but the compressor is starting to sound like an air tool again.Do you really have to replace the Bushing so often?

Old 01-19-2013, 08:44 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Well I just finished the conversion on my wifes nav a couple of days ago, and she thinks it rides better now than it did when the air susp.... was working correctly. I dont really drive it enough to know. I am just glad it is done and I dont have to worry about figuring out what is going to go out next. I got the strutmasters premium off ebay for $419 shipped for all four. They claimed the box had been opened and they could not sell them for full price. They said they still had the full lifetime warranty. After I got my $307.50 back for the ride height sensor I just bought it turned out to be a killer deal in my opinion.
thats my .02
OUT

Old 01-22-2013, 05:52 PM
rowekmr
Elder User
I was told by the dealership and one of the suppliers of the conventional coil/shock systems that there isn't a way to turn it off. If you find something out please post it because today it was 3F here and the front wouldn't rise and I am tired of this system.
Originally Posted by gofastbobby

Old 01-22-2013, 06:43 PM
5.4T
Elder User
Well I just finished the conversion on my wifes nav a couple of days ago, and she thinks it rides better now than it did when the air susp.... was working correctly. I dont really drive it enough to know. I am just glad it is done and I dont have to worry about figuring out what is going to go out next. I got the strutmasters premium off ebay for $419 shipped for all four. They claimed the box had been opened and they could not sell them for full price. They said they still had the full lifetime warranty. After I got my $307.50 back for the ride height sensor I just bought it turned out to be a killer deal in my opinion.
thats my .02
OUT
Trust me if you would have got those air shocks brand new , You would have notice the decrease in ride comfort, Air rides always better!!!

Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 PM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
I was told by the dealership and one of the suppliers of the conventional coil/shock systems that there isn't a way to turn it off.
I guess they never thought of pulling out the cluster and removing the check suspension bulb!

Quick Reply: Tell your Air Suspension conversion story here please.