1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Tell your Air Suspension conversion story here please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:03 PM
12amracer
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, take some pics. lol

Old 11-18-2011, 06:53 AM
2Fords1Jeep
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Only1Hannibal
True but since I replaced my whole suspension system and front end parts one less thing I have to worry about for awhile. Plus with used parts you just don't know what you are getting.
No worries here about installing used springs. All the rest of the parts on your truck are used so what difference does it make?? A coil spring is fairly easy to check out for defects.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Only1Hannibal
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 2Fords1Jeep
No worries here about installing used springs. All the rest of the parts on your truck are used so what difference does it make?? A coil spring is fairly easy to check out for defects.
True but my truck is getting ready to be overhaul, New tranny if need be then after the winter getting whole interior redone and media system upgraded. Just to add to the list of less things I have to worry about. Pictures will be taken and uploaded.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:04 PM
12amracer
Junior User
Originally Posted by Only1Hannibal
True but my truck is getting ready to be overhaul, New tranny if need be then after the winter getting whole interior redone and media system upgraded. Just to add to the list of less things I have to worry about. Pictures will be taken and uploaded.
Any info on the media center upgrade you care to share?

Old 11-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Only1Hannibal
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 12amracer
Any info on the media center upgrade you care to share?
Im actually looking into a couple of professional places to do the installations.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:15 PM
12amracer
Junior User
Oh...aftermarket. What year is your gator? Mine is a 98..I'm going to do the double din install, then decide on how to do the rear tvs. Put one one up top or two in the headrests. If I do that, may even try and do 4 tvs in all the headrests..lol oh well we'll see! Keep us posted!

Old 11-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Only1Hannibal
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 12amracer
Oh...aftermarket. What year is your gator? Mine is a 98..I'm going to do the double din install, then decide on how to do the rear tvs. Put one one up top or two in the headrests. If I do that, may even try and do 4 tvs in all the headrests..lol oh well we'll see! Keep us posted!
My Navi is a 2001 and it was sitting for over a year, it was my weekend driver and holiday ride before storage. I was grinding for a year now its time to put the money back into my baby. Already have the engine tighten up then after the tranny I going to wait until weather break then get small body work done and whole interior redone and throw her in the garage until its time to show her off.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Waylon77
New User
Well I ended up returning my caps. I am sold on the conversion. Now the next step is to pick a kit, it's between Strutmasters and Arnott. I can get a Strutmasters kit installed for $895 by a guy here in town. Anyone know of a step by step guise to DIY? Also when you guys converted did you just flip off the air suspension switch in the back and that's it or did you have to pull fuses and uninstall the compressor, air lines etc......

Old 11-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Waylon77
Well I ended up returning my caps. I am sold on the conversion. Now the next step is to pick a kit, it's between Strutmasters and Arnott. I can get a Strutmasters kit installed for $895 by a guy here in town. Anyone know of a step by step guise to DIY? Also when you guys converted did you just flip off the air suspension switch in the back and that's it or did you have to pull fuses and uninstall the compressor, air lines etc......
If you have some tools and some DIY skill you can do the job in just an afternoon. You will need a spring compressor that you can borrow from a parts store and the rest is pretty simple logic. DIY it and pay yourself the price you would pay for installation. Another supplier for the kit or suspension parts is Eddie Spinks at American Air Suspension, he's a sponsor here and easy to talk to, always very helpful and good prices.I have been dealing with him for about 14 years.
I suggest that you leave the compressor and lines and electrics intact and in the truck as you never know... The next owner might want them.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Only1Hannibal
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Waylon77
Actually when you order the Strutmaster kit they send you a DIY, they even tell you how to disengage the dash light, I order my kit from them and had someone install it.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Waylon77
New User
Mine is a 2005 so the check suspension light is integrated into the odometer/message center. Are there fixes for this?

Old 12-23-2011, 12:36 PM
aristocraft
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
waylon, I want to know the same thing. i was thinking if you left the system hooked up, then zip-tied (or whatever) the ride hight sensors in place, would it think its good? or would it always say check air suspension

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-16-2012, 08:44 PM
johncbr
New User
Originally Posted by aristocraft
waylon, I want to know the same thing. i was thinking if you left the system hooked up, then zip-tied (or whatever) the ride hight sensors in place, would it think its good? or would it always say check air suspension
That's what I was thinking. Either that or install some resistors with the same ohms as the solenoids. I plan on doing this very soon and will let you know how it goes.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:12 PM
BVA
Freshman User
Is anyone in this thread that has removed their air suspension willing to sell me their old struts? I need them to be for the 2003 to 2006. I am looking to do a project on my Expedition. Front and Rear or rear only, I would be willing take them off your hands if they are just taking up space in your garage, or even pay some for the right deal. I''d be willing to pay the shipping of course.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:56 AM
HIPCHECK
New User
I have a leak in my right rear air suspension system. It's not from a line or the solenoid so I'm guessing its in the bag itself. The truck will sit for hours with a full bag of air as long as I don't drive it. Also, if I were to walk up to the side of it and rock it back and forth it will cause the air to release from the bag.

In addition to replacement parts being expensive I'm considering converting because I just can't seem to find many options to replace the struts inside my air bags. Is it safe to say that a complete coil strut assembly for a conventional suspension will not work as a replacement for an Expy with an air ride suspension? If so, why? Does it not bolt up the same? Can a modification be made to allow it to work? There doesn't seem to me much talk about this and maybe that's because most people on here know the answer already. Any help with the mysterious air leak or replacement question would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Tell your Air Suspension conversion story here please.