Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power windows,etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Chris Crowley
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power windows,etc.

i have a 1996 f-150,manual everything,i have a junker that has all power doors and a few other extars,do i have to change the entire dash to have these options in my daily driver.thanks

Old 10-25-2011, 09:12 PM
Turx
Senior User
Swapping in the power windows and locks is actually quite easy. The wiring harness is 8 wires, which will be attached with two hot wires, fuse #12 and 14. The harness goes from the drivers door under the dash, to the passenger side kick panel, a green plug, then into the passenger door. There might be a couple of smaller plug's for the speakers, courtesy light in the XLT doors, and power mirrors, depending on the options but they are separate from the main 8 wire harness. I just did a swap from manual to power in my 92 Dump, the "donor" power doors had the harness cut at the drivers kick panel. I think because it is so long and they didn't want to free it from under the dash, but they did give me the green plug. I simply made my own 8' harness to go to the passenger side plug. Easy swap and great having the power options in the Dump. I only needed one door, but they were sold as a set for $175 from an Eddie Bauer Bronco, it was easier to hook them up than switch out the manual regulators, etc. Non A/C and/or AM, no radio trucks have less wiring than A/C, stereo equipped models so it varies a bit, easy either way.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Beatertruck
Senior User
Originally Posted by Turx
Swapping in the power windows and locks is actually quite easy. The wiring harness is 8 wires, which will be attached with two hot wires, fuse #12 and 14. The harness goes from the drivers door under the dash, to the passenger side kick panel, a green plug, then into the passenger door. There might be a couple of smaller plug's for the speakers, courtesy light in the XLT doors, and power mirrors, depending on the options but they are separate from the main 8 wire harness. I just did a swap from manual to power in my 92 Dump, the "donor" power doors had the harness cut at the drivers kick panel. I think because it is so long and they didn't want to free it from under the dash, but they did give me the green plug. I simply made my own 8' harness to go to the passenger side plug. Easy swap and great having the power options in the Dump. I only needed one door, but they were sold as a set for $175 from an Eddie Bauer Bronco, it was easier to hook them up than switch out the manual regulators, etc. Non A/C and/or AM, no radio trucks have less wiring than A/C, stereo equipped models so it varies a bit, easy either way.
I also did the swap on my truck not too long ago. The only difference I found between you experience and mine is the donor truck's harness ran between the top of the dash on the donor and that required me to unbolt the dash of the donor truck. I didn't totally remove the dash, I simply lowered the column and unbolted the dash so I could remove the harness. I ran it under my dash in my truck for simplicity sake and the windows and locks work great.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:53 PM
Chris Crowley
New User
power windows

THANKS FOR THE REPLY,THANKS SO MUCH FOR TAKING TIME FOR ME.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Turx
Senior User
Originally Posted by Beatertruck
I also did the swap on my truck not too long ago. The only difference I found between you experience and mine is the donor truck's harness ran between the top of the dash on the donor and that required me to unbolt the dash of the donor truck. I didn't totally remove the dash, I simply lowered the column and unbolted the dash so I could remove the harness. I ran it under my dash in my truck for simplicity sake and the windows and locks work great.
That's why they just cut the harness, didn't want to take the time to get it out. At least giving me the green plug helped. I spliced everything at the drivers door and simply made the 8" harness, put the green plug on the end of it and plugged it in to the passenger door in the kick panel. I think it was easier to do that than swap out the power regulators, etc with the manual ones. It's nice having the power windows in the dump, I plow with it.