1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Inherited '51 F1,don't know last time turned over

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Nice guy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inherited '51 F1,don't know last time turned over

I had a question for the more seasoned ford enthusiasts, what are some things do do first? The truck has approx 35k and has been garaged for 35 yrs withou being run. I was going to put marvel mystery oil in the plug wholes several times over two months and try to manually turn main pulley? The truck has very little rust (3 spots and a little on the floor on passenger side), a flathead 8 and a warped wooden bed (which I was going to take out!). I was told that it takes a 6V battery, is this right, eventually I will need to get something? The truck is completely original, I would like to keep it as close as possible. After sitting this long what probably needs changed? I would greatly inspired to hear it just run! It was my fathers truck and has sentimental project status. I would greatly appreciate thoughts, thank you!

Old 10-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Nice guy
New User
Whats the best way to post pics?

Old 10-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Welcome! I'm not too "seasoned", but I can offer some insight. First, before anything else, you have a jewel if you have a completely original truck that belonged to your dad. Yes, it was originally 6 volt POSITIVE GROUND (positive terminal on the battery actually connects to the engine block and the negative to the starter solenoid). As far as the engine, sure. Go ahead and put some MMO into the plug holes. But 35 years is a long time. I got lucky and freed mine up with MMO after 20 years. But looking back on it, I should have pulled the intake at least and looked. I got lucky. Mice and other various varmints love to go into those engines and build their own little condominiums. Post a lot of pictures of your truck, and we can all help you walk through the process. Just remember one thing--you can indeed keep the truck completely original if you want. Tractor Supply sells 6 volt batteries for about 80 bucks.

As far as posting pictures, you will have to have them somewhere on the internet first (somewhere like shutterfly, picasa, etc.). Then just copy and paste the url address for each picture using the "Insert Image" tab that you see while typing a reply. You have to be a paid member to add pics directly to posts (and it doesn't always work like it should).

Old 10-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Welcome to FTE and great story... the truck was orig 6 volt positive ground system.You will need to upload them somewhere on the web (like shutterbug, photobucket, exc...), copy the URL, and put it into the "insert image" (pic looking like a mountain button above).

Doc was a bit faster then I was....

Last edited by Moe Craig; 10-23-2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Doc was a bit faster then I was....
Old 10-23-2011, 10:14 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
wow ,great history and glad to hear your saving it,I'm no good at pictures ,but with getting it running does it turn over at all ?? yes it will be 6 volt,,nothing wrong with that ..trust me go through the brakes before you go too far..new parts are easy to get and worth it in the long run.if you put 12 volt's to the starter it will spinn it faster ..after 35 years things are gonna be stuck ..but you never know ..give it a try an let us know what you find ..

Old 10-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Nice guy
New User
Wow that was quick! You guys are good. I cant post pictures without being a paid member? I took the photos I have with my iphone, I will see what I can do. The engine compartment looks good with the exception of the hoses going to the heater through the fire wall are broken/not connected. I do not see any sign of infestation outside of some spiders.

Any thoughts on the bed of the truck having warped wood, looks like tongue and groove...not sure if its original but I have heard of alot of trucks that way.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:48 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Welcome Nice Guy (who names their kid Nice?)

You have a real barn find, now don't you. Outstanding. In addition to the sage advice from Doc and Moe, you'll want to look at the engine oil that remains in the pan. Pull the dipstick and you'll know right away if it is a dry hole. This beauty has been sleeping for a long time. Don't be too overeager to wake her without checking the vitals - like wiring, fan belt integrity, and fuel lines. Think of it as coaxing her awake rather than startling her.

Good luck

DW

Hey, Doc - mere mortals can add pictures to posts - adding them to your gallery seems to work fine.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Nice guy
New User
Old 10-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Nice guy
New User
I guess that's a work around

Old 10-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Nice guy
New User
I couldnt think of a name quicker, so I figured I would use that. I am just the son of a man that worked his tail off to provide and be a good role model. I am his legacy. If you look in the pics I have some pictures of the engine compartment, the oil on the dipstick shows 3/4 of an inch and black but not sludge. everything looks old but not disintergrated, except the seat underside. I am vaccuming the spiders, dust and seatmaterial out and slowly cleaning the windows and other areas to have a starting point. I am looking for advice before I embark on this, but you could imagine the smile on my face if this turns over. My father always told me all it needs is marvel mystery oil and it should be fine, "they dont make them like this anymore". Should I bother changing the oil before I manually try to turn the main? I was thinking I need to take the gas tank off and see if I can find a rebuild kit for the carb. I have a place close that can custom build batteries, is that necessary/good idea? Let me know if there are other pics you would like close up or in general. I really appreciate the assistance!

Old 10-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey there Nice Guy,
Welcome to FTE! Nice looking truck! I would say that young lady in the front seat wants you to get it done so she can go for a ride!
Really looks like you have a good truck to start with!

Old 10-23-2011, 11:23 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by Nice guy
I couldnt think of a name quicker, so I figured I would use that. I am just the son of a man that worked his tail off to provide and be a good role model. I am his legacy. If you look in the pics I have some pictures of the engine compartment, the oil on the dipstick shows 3/4 of an inch and black but not sludge. everything looks old but not disintergrated, except the seat underside. I am vaccuming the spiders, dust and seatmaterial out and slowly cleaning the windows and other areas to have a starting point. I am looking for advice before I embark on this, but you could imagine the smile on my face if this turns over. My father always told me all it needs is marvel mystery oil and it should be fine, "they dont make them like this anymore". Should I bother changing the oil before I manually try to turn the main? I was thinking I need to take the gas tank off and see if I can find a rebuild kit for the carb. I have a place close that can custom build batteries, is that necessary/good idea? Let me know if there are other pics you would like close up or in general. I really appreciate the assistance!
Welcome to the forum! I would say yes, drain the old oil and put fresh 30 weight in the crankcase. Be sure to have clean, fresh gas. You may not want to use the existing gas tank unless you investigate the interior for rust or varnish first. Same for the fuel lines. That can really make a mess of otherwise good things. Make sure your wiring is still in good shape and is up to the task of being functional, ie; no bare wires or frayed insulation. You don't need a custom battery. A standard 6V car battery should be all you need, if it has indeed never been changed to 12V.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Welcome to FTE. Your truck is in great shape! It will be worth whatever effort is needed to bring it back to life.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Nice guy
New User
Where does a guy go to get carb kits, belts, spark plugs and such for something this old? I just finished using a soapy cloth and dry cloth to wipe the grime off the surfaces (it also gives me a closer look at what shape it's in). There seems to be a reddish (primer) under the green paint where it's seems worn off in spots, is this a good guess? The running boards are solid with some surface rust. If I was to fix some of the more serious rust spots by cutting it out, would you take the fender off or leave it in place for better fit? Can I buy a rear window out some where?

Thanks for the words of encouragement and welcome.

Does the fuel pump need new parts or is it largely mechanical in nature? Sorry for all the questions. I just figured I would get them out before the thread gets stale.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:06 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow, that's a great looking truck. You mentioned turning the fan, it's best to just put a socket on the bolt on the front end of the crank and try turning there. (old belts will slip) If it will turn completely by hand, you are in good shape, but don't be discouraged when it doesn't.
You will find numerous threads on here with advice on unsticking a flatty. Regarding the carb, I had mine rebuilt by a local guy who advised me that the rebuild kits don't include the seals/seats (? sorry I'm not a carb guy) that you need with the unleaded/ethanol gas of today. Whatever they are, you need the blue ones according to him.
If it actually turns by hand, you can hook up a 12V battery to get a faster turn of the starter. Just make sure you connect it as a positive ground, and run the starter in short burst, no more than a few seconds at a time.

Quick Reply: Inherited '51 F1,don't know last time turned over