1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How do I identify my engine type (351W?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:30 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
When I bought the oil pan for my 351W, I "THINK" it was a different width than the 302 pan. 351W is wider, i think.. I have my old oil pan still and could measure the width or number of bolt holes real easy, but will that even help?
Not to take this off topic, but simply to clarify this issue, the oil pan of a 302 and 351W are the same width. They are physically identical, but not interchangable. The only difference is the half circle opening at the back of the pan. 351W's have a larger crank journal size than the 302, which necessitates a larger rear main cap and a larger opening at the rear pan wall. The rest of the pan size and rail shapes are the same.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:50 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Here's another diagram illustrating the difference between the 351 and 302.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Great info Wayne! I knew there was a difference in the oil pan, LOL, but wasn't sure what that difference was...

Old 11-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, so I am going to say I indeed do have a 351 Windsor (with an aftermarket Offenhauser intake manifold). I have not yet dug into it to find the numbers stamped on the heads (if they're original) or any of the other numbers. I think the numbers would remove all doubt. But...

According to a post above "the spark plugs on a W take a 13/16" socket and a C uses a 5/8" socket." But also according to a follow up post from another user "That's not a good rule to rely on. Ford did in fact use the larger plugs with a 13/16" hex on all the Windsor family small blocks - but only until about 1978. After that, they ran the same 5/8" hex plug that the old 351C used until the end of production in 2001."

My engine has 13/16 inch spark plugs and I learned from the PO that it was installed in the truck in 1972 or 1973 (though he cannot remember what kind of vehicle it came from), thus it is PRE 1978 manufacture date. So that points to a Windsor.

Further, according to a post above "The easiest way to determine whether it is a 302 or 351 is to look next to the distributor hold down bolt & if there is a 45* support rib cast into the block, it is a 351. No support rib, 302." So below is a picture of my 45 degree support rib under the distributor...Again, I say 351.

Also, according to an above post, the fuel pump mounting style is a determining factor...a "351W has bolts on each side of the fuel pump" but a "351C has bolts on the top and bottom of the fuel pump". Here is a picture of my fuel pump with bolts on each side of it like a Windsor...

According to an above post, the 351C will have 8 bolts in each valve cover while the W will have 6 bolts. In the picture below you can only see 4 of my bolts, but there are 6 altogether. Again, Windsor...

In an above post someone said the thermostat housing location on a 351W is on the in take manifold, whereas a 351C has it on the block. I BELIEVE the picture below shows my thermostat housing and it is on the intake manifold. It this correct? Is that my thermostat housing?

Thanks guys for all the info. Some of the posts I don't have the expertise/understanding to follow up on (water pump boss and some of the measurements of the block etc. I am not sure where to look and measure exactly). But I think I have this pretty well narrowed down. Pictures of the whole engine are in my gallery album called 51 F-1.

Any other input?

Tyler

Old 11-04-2011, 11:28 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tyler,

That definitley is a small block Ford....not a Cleveland. It's probably a 351W & not a 302. Is there a firing order cast into the intake manifold?

Dan

Old 11-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

Dan, I don't know where to look on the manifold for the firing order. Plus, I have an aftermarket Offenhauser manifold. Would the firing order be there or not?

t

Old 11-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
That is a 351W no doubt. Take a look in my gallery at mine. You have pointed out several things that are specific to the 351W.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by Lakotas53
That is a 351W no doubt. Take a look in my gallery at mine. You have pointed out several things that are specific to the 351W.
OK, cool. Thanks. I looked at your pics and it sure looks like the same engine to me, too. Except yours might be a leeeeeeettle bit prettier.

So how hard is it to get the block all clean and nice like that so paint will actually stick to it? I am thinking of having my whole truck steam cleaned just so I can see what the heck is what on it. I steam cleaning a good way to go for degreasing etc?

tyler

Old 11-04-2011, 01:25 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Ford makes a very good engine degreaser. I used to work in a VW dealership and we'd buy degreaser from Ford in a 45 gal drum. I've tried all kinds and the Ford stuff worked the best (IMO). Spray it on with a small pump sprayer, let it sit for a few minutes then steam/hot water pressure wash it off. Try not to get any of the chemical on the body paint, if it's faded it will stain for sure.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by yamagrant
Ford makes a very good engine degreaser. I used to work in a VW dealership and we'd buy degreaser from Ford in a 45 gal drum. I've tried all kinds and the Ford stuff worked the best (IMO). Spray it on with a small pump sprayer, let it sit for a few minutes then steam/hot water pressure wash it off. Try not to get any of the chemical on the body paint, if it's faded it will stain for sure.
Yep, what he said. Mine was vat cleaned when I had it bored and checked. Then I used a good degreaser and steam cleaned. I used a primer paint rated for high temp and then a high temp topcoat paint.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

This is an old thread of mine, but I have one more question for this topic. I noticed this stamp cast in the back of the block right where the bell housing will mount. Is this an important identifier for my engine?

Tyler

Old 02-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Tyler, that, to me, looks like whoever rebuilt the heads. stamped them for security reasons...to keep people from trying to claim warranty on heads they never rebuilt. I could be wrong, but it doesn't follow any Ford type number to my knowledge.
Again someone else please correct me if I am wrong.

edit: Tyler, is the other head marked with a similar number?

Old 02-10-2012, 10:16 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
That is the partial VIN from the original car the engine came in. 0, as in zero, is for 1970 model year, the J is the assembly plant code, followed by the 6 digit consecutive unit number. My records show J as the code for the Los Angeles assembly plant. But as for what cars or trucks they built there then, I don't know.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
That is the partial VIN from the original car the engine came in. 0, as in zero, is for 1970 model year, the J is the assembly plant code, followed by the 6 digit consecutive unit number. My records show J as the code for the Los Angeles assembly plant. But as for what cars or trucks they built there then, I don't know.
Ok once again, I learn something everyday! Maybe I should start collecting stamps... Thanks Wayne!

Old 02-10-2012, 10:36 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Ok once again, I learn something everyday! Maybe I should start collecting stamps... Thanks Wayne!
It's all good, Jeff! If I keep telling you everything I know, pretty soon I'll run out of stuff and then you'll be a smart (assy) as me.

Quick Reply: How do I identify my engine type (351W?)